Gibson Brands Forums

GAS under control

merciful-evans

...for now.

Wandered through FB marketplace and found a 2019 Gibson LP DC special for not a lot of money. Not far off half price really. Fellow said he had only played it for a couple of hours & had come to terms that he was really a Strat guy. Plus, he had bought a hard case for it (looked like a proper one). 

Checked him out. He had posted a pic on his page of the guitar in its new case & seeming pleased about it. Seems like an ok fellow who gets through gear quickly. 

I was tempted. I could even have put the cash together in a matter of minutes & he only lives 15 minutes away. Then I got sensible. Crisis passed. I really dont need a new guitar fix. Obviously it sold quickly, and its disappeared now. 

• Thanks 2

Same here. I was GASing for the new Epi Classic,then stopped myself and thought: "okay - needs fretwork. Thinking of getting that done. Then I thought, hmm, I prefer Alnico II pickups. Maybe swap the Alnico Vs out so... so... it'll sound and play like the EPI I ALREADY OWN?! FFS..."

It does come w/ a Graphtec nut though [rolleyes]

• Like 2

GAS doesn't disappear.  It just hides for a while.  I recently got a new J200.  Really fits in nicely with what I do.  I'd been "GASSING" for one for the last several years.  I needed one.   I'm very happy I've got it, along with my other previously gassed-for Gibsons.  However, just yesterday I read a thread in here about a Gibson Firebird.......and that reminded me that I've often thought about a Firebird.  Now I'm thinking about it more.  You might buy a new guitar or you might buy a bottle of BEANO or you might buy both, but the GAS will return.

• Like 2

Congrats M-E for averting the  overwhelming desire. You didn't fall into learned helplessness and give in.

I, on the other hand, have figured out a way to get away with getting a new one but not make it look like I am. I'm slowly ordering Warmoth parts. Nearly done with a chambered zebrawood on mahogany stratocaster that will get Kinman pickups and a raw goncalo alves neck. I think my wife is just pretending to not notice what I am up to.

9 hours ago, Tman said:

Congrats M-E for averting the  overwhelming desire. You didn't fall into learned helplessness and give in.

I, on the other hand, have figured out a way to get away with getting a new one but not make it look like I am. I'm slowly ordering Warmoth parts. Nearly done with a chambered zebrawood on mahogany stratocaster that will get Kinman pickups and a raw goncalo alves neck. I think my wife is just pretending to not notice what I am up to.

That's like a WW2 prison camp caper. 

Its very like something a workmate of mine did. He had a canoe built on site at the factory. It was strictly 'under the radar'. He sourced all the parts and routed it through the workshops. It was kept secret from middle & upper management. When it was complete, the problem was getting it offsite. This was a secure site (military aircraft) with security guards manning the gates 24/7. So he gets a couple of friends waiting outside to 'receive' it at a pre-arranged position of the fence. They use ladders to carry it over the fence and succeed, but... Its spotted by the security cameras and the guards scoot around outside to confront the receivers. Completely misunderstanding what's going on, the guards send the guys off with the canoe telling them that they are not permitted to bring that onto the premises. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

That's a lot better looking than the DC that tempted me! Sweet...

Its an early release 2020 model 339, MusicZoo seems to be one of the few stores that have them, possibly a limited pre-production release.

6 hours ago, SteveFord said:

When is that Epiphone due to arrive?

Its in NY, the UPS label has been created, I was surprised to get it with free shipping to Hawaii, most online stores don't include Hawaii in their free online shipping plan..

The wait begins.........

The MusicZoo also has some early release Epi 335's and a few more 399's in stock.   ........still some left but they are disappearing.......

GAS attack..

Edited by mihcmac

GAS

I think shipping stalled over the weekend, no update since shipping label created. I guess ordering Friday after close of business may not be the best Idea...

ScU7NrT.jpg

A few things I noticed;  

No etching on the nut-plate

No Epi "E" on the pickguard

No scarf joint, that I can see

No coil tapping, but full size CTS pots

The new 339 took me by surprise, didn't know anyplace had the new model for sale yet.

GAS

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1