Gibson Brands Forums

GC facing bankruptcy?

merciful-evans

I am still waiting for my ES-335, which I ordered sometimes in April or May (2020, good to put a year here).

And by some coincidence, I saw an ES-335 Satin Cherry today on GuitarCenter.com - marked as "In stock". A quick check on Sweetwater.com showed they have it "On order". So this means, nobody is actually buying guitars at Guitar Center anymore? I've had no bad experience with GC in the past, wish 'em all the best for the future!

I copy & pasted this from another Forum re; GC Bankrupcy update....

quote - Just got this e-mail tonight: 

Dear XXXX 

Thank you for being a loyal customer of Guitar Center. We genuinely appreciate your business.

I'm pleased to share that the Guitar Center Company has announced an agreement to strengthen our financial structure which will allow us to serve you better for the long term. During this time there is likely to be press coverage, so we wanted you to hear from us what to expect. 

•    Our stores, e-commerce, lessons and call centers are open and available to you as we continue to operate our business as usual.

•    We will continue to serve your needs as usual, therefore, customer service, financing with your GC Card and Pro Coverage remain unaffected.

To facilitate this financial process, we will voluntarily file for restructuring under Chapter 11 which we expect to complete quickly. During this time, we will continue all of our operations without interruption.

Most importantly, we are staying focused on helping more customers make music. We continue to have the gear you want and need, with new gear arriving regularly and we are here to support your holiday shopping needs as we have exciting holiday promotions ready for you.

If you have questions or concerns please feel free to email us at service@guitarcenter.com or call us at 866-498-7882. 

Ron Japinga
Chief Executive Officer
The Guitar Center Company 

© 2020 Guitar Center, Inc., P.O. Box 5111, Thousand Oaks, CA  91359-5111, USA. Call us at 877-687-5403 from 
6 a.m. to 8 p.m. PT, Monday through Friday, and from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. PT, Saturday and Sunday.
Unsubscribe[/quote]

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

We will continue to serve your needs as usual, therefore, customer service, financing with your GC Card and Pro Coverage remain unaffected.

This is the part of the letter that concerns me most. I've never received good customer service from GC. Perhaps if they improved customer service they might not be in such financial trouble.

Oh well, I wish them good luck anyway.

Notes

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

This is the part of the letter that concerns me most. I've never received good customer service from GC. Perhaps if they improved customer service they might not be in such financial trouble.

Oh well, I wish them good luck anyway.

Notes

Maybe. The last few things I've bought from GC have all been on their online site. The one in North Myrtle Beach is the saddest one I've ever been in. I think I got strings there once when I broke one. In and out in 3 mins. There is a pretty 30 year old-ish blond who dresses normal I pine for. I love when she unlocks the acoutics for me. Sometimes the girl who dresses like Jack Skellington does. I love her green hair.

GC gift cards are likely in a "use it or lose it" mode with no clear timeframe on when "lose it" will kick in.  And it is black-Friday season to boot.  Yeah, it is unlikely I am going to get through November without adding a new Gibson to the fold, and all my old GC gift cards exercised.  There is nothing better than "having" to buy a new guitar ...

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 9:50 AM, Notes_Norton said:

This is the part of the letter that concerns me most. I've never received good customer service from GC. 

The best customer service I ever received  from Guitar Center was when they screwed up Royal and sold me a brand new Gibson GT Standard worth $3,448.00 in mint condition as a used guitar with a sale price on it for $1,454.62, so I have No Complaints about GC, Lol.  Oh, Yes, They realized their blunder and tried to buy it back but I said; "No Sale!"  I was even chased down in the parking lot with them offering  me more for it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had something similar with Musician's Friend.

Years ago I ordered a Parker Dragonfly that retailed at about $1,300. They sent me a Parker Fly MIDI Mojo that went for about $5,000.

I called them right away and wanted the Dragonfly and was willing to send the Mojo back at their expense. They told me the Dragonfly was no longer in stock and I had 45 days to decide whether I wanted to keep the Mojo or not at the price I paid.

I found and bought the Dragonfly at another vendor and after the 45 days were up I put the Mojo up for bid on ebay. For what I sold the Mojo for, it more than paid for the Dragonfly and I ended up with a free Dragonfly and $850 more in my pocket than I started with. Best deal I ever made. :D

Notes

Great deal Notes,  Yeah mine was a mistake a new employee made hanging the wrong guitar in the used section with a reduced sale tag on it. The guy actually caught it at the counter but once they already had a store price on it for sale and  used, They had to honor their mistake.  That new  guy was fired for it and gone the next day. I went back the next day, looking for any more great deals, Lol.