Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Pickguard

junglejem

I would assume this has been addressed before, but I haven't found anything on topic. I recently purchased a (new) lefty Custom Shop 1960 Hummingbird. After roughly 4-6 weeks, the artwork on the pickguard is already starting to fade/get worn away. That's a little aggravating.

Is there a clear protector that can be placed on a Hummingbird pickguard? And if so, what are my chances of getting it in a left hand configuration?

When the time comes, will I be able to replace the original lefty pickguard, through the Custom Shop or some after-market source?

Clear static cling pickguard will do the job. It's available in 9 inch sheets (only used one). I purchased a Hummingbird Vintage long distance, was unsure if I was going to keep it, so the clear was placed on the guard where the fingers normally brush the pickguard. The guitar opened up nicely after some time, I ended up kinda liking the lacey look of air that was trapped underneath the clear, and didn't care to remove it. Just pulled it up to see- after 4+ years,  the paint stayed put.

Fyi- when shopping used, I also like to see a Hummingbird pickguard that's partially worn- 'means the guitar's been played in, & just might sound pretty good.

Edited by 62burst

On 10/26/2020 at 5:10 PM, 62burst said:

It feels like paint...you can feel the texture when you rub your hand over it. The area of concern is the bird's beak and flowers just below, as well as the long stem in front of the bird's head. Again, this is only after 4-6 weeks and I am not an overly aggressive player, although I do play with a flatpick.

IMG_0796.jpg

On 10/26/2020 at 7:45 PM, junglejem said:

I would assume this has been addressed before, but I haven't found anything on topic. I recently purchased a (new) lefty Custom Shop 1960 Hummingbird. After roughly 4-6 weeks, the artwork on the pickguard is already starting to fade/get worn away. That's a little aggravating.

Is there a clear protector that can be placed on a Hummingbird pickguard? And if so, what are my chances of getting it in a left hand configuration?

When the time comes, will I be able to replace the original lefty pickguard, through the Custom Shop or some after-market source?

I would go after market, but the good ones are expensive.  However, they will never be a problem again.

Look up Holter Pickgaurds, see what they have for the engraving these days.