Gibson Brands Forums

76 gibson explorer Need Help please!!

Sdzturbo 26

If it were my guitar (inherited from my father) I would have but two choices;

a. Leave the tape on there and rock out with it as is. 

or, 

b. Remove the strings. 
Lift off the tailpiece, bridge, and Volume/Tone knobs. 
Peel the tape off, slowly and carefully, section at a time. 
Use a hair dryer set on Medium Heat to loosen the tape as you go along. 
Then, use some terrycloth rags and generous spritzes of WD-40 to wipe off the gooey tape residue. 
Throw those rags away. No use trying to repurpose them with all that stuff embedded in them. 
Now, buff the entire guitar down with some Turtle Wax Spray shine and soft cloths. 
The gold hardware and pickup covers aren't going to look much better, but they'll at least be clean and shiny. 
Buff the frets especially well. Oil the fingerboard slightly as you do that, and wipe off the residue. 
Then replace all the hardware and bits, re-string the guitar, tune her up, and then rock out. 

In the end, rock out. 
Have fun with it. 
Drink a toast to Dad.

😉

• Like 2

It's going to be a mess if you take the tape off.  You can clean the residue as Sparqy says, but the finish has probably faded where there was no tape.  Take a close look at the one area between and above the pickup where we can see some tape has been removed.  No matter how well you clean off tape residue it will probably always show some lines and different coloring between where there was tape and where there was no tape.  

Well my dad passed away 2 years ago and I inherited about 20 a all together but this is the oldest one. And on top of that it's an original 76 explorer and ebony which did not make alot of.. so I don't want to ruin it I I try taking tape off.. but being so many years with it on its been 40 plus years with tape on in the guitar case.

20 hours ago, rct said:

Take the tape off and don't worry about it.  Jesus H it's a guitar not a nukeyaler facility.

rct

Well yeah it's just a guitar, but it's also a 76 gibson explorer original so I don't wanna mess it up by taking tape off and not knowing how it will go been on for 40 plus years

5 minutes ago, Sdzturbo 26 said:

Well yeah it's just a guitar, but it's also a 76 gibson explorer original so I don't wanna mess it up by taking tape off and not knowing how it will go been on for 40 plus years

What kind of tape is it?  Most tapes come right off most finished surfaces.  Sure, there's some glue left behind, easily handled.  A 76 Explorer with a bunch of tape all over it is not a 76 Gibson Explorer original, it's one with tape all over it.  If you want an original 76 Explorer, take the tape off and see how it has faded, if at all, over the decades.  It it's been in a case all this time then maybe not too bad.  Either way, if you want to try and get it into the hands of a collector or someone who just wants an original 76 Explorer, the tape is a massive issue.

rct

39 minutes ago, rct said:

What kind of tape is it?  Most tapes come right off most finished surfaces.  Sure, there's some glue left behind, easily handled.  A 76 Explorer with a bunch of tape all over it is not a 76 Gibson Explorer original, it's one with tape all over it.  If you want an original 76 Explorer, take the tape off and see how it has faded, if at all, over the decades.  It it's been in a case all this time then maybe not too bad.  Either way, if you want to try and get it into the hands of a collector or someone who just wants an original 76 Explorer, the tape is a massive issue.

rct

It's white electrical tape and has been on since he bought it, and exactly I was planning on selling it but I wanted it to look original being what kind of guitar and escp the make condition it's in and everything is here and original 

7 minutes ago, Sdzturbo 26 said:

It's white electrical tape and has been on since he bought it, and exactly I was planning on selling it but I wanted it to look original being what kind of guitar and escp the make condition it's in and everything is here and original 

And if I try and take tape off, once I start there's no going back so if goes wrong it would be better to leave it on, but no cracks in body or neck, and next head and fretboard are in amazing condition, but the pickups are inevitable because that's what happens after being that old unless it's was never touched and taken care off when bought but very few in mint condition ecsp the ebony color 

They still make electrical tape. They don’t still make original ‘76 Explorers.

Take the tape off. If there happens to be damage under the tape that looks worse than the tape itself, you can just buy another roll of tape and pretend to be EVH all over

If the finish is damaged under the tape then the finish is damaged under the tape. You can sell a guitar with damaged finish or a guitar with damaged finish and tape covering the damage. The value is hurt either way, just one option let’s the customer see what they’re getting and the other makes them guess. Most people spend less money to guess

I would use naphtha to clean the adhesive residue. If you use another product, apply some to a hidden area of the finish such as inside the control cavity to make sure it doesn’t react with the finish

2 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

They still make electrical tape. They don’t still make original ‘76 Explorers.

Take the tape off. If there happens to be damage under the tape that looks worse than the tape itself, you can just buy another roll of tape and pretend to be EVH all over

If the finish is damaged under the tape then the finish is damaged under the tape. You can sell a guitar with damaged finish or a guitar with damaged finish and tape covering the damage. The value is hurt either way, just one option let’s the customer see what they’re getting and the other makes them guess. Most people spend less money to guess

I would use naphtha to clean the adhesive residue. If you use another product, apply some to a hidden area of the finish such as inside the control cavity to make sure it doesn’t react with the finish

What he said 🙂

A lot of  those home-spun tape jobs from that era were lacquered over.  So if yours is not, and you can just remove the tape, then consider yourself lucky.  Please post back with what you decide to do along with the resultant pics.  Great guitar, man -- regardless of what you end up doing.