Gibson Brands Forums

1970-72 Gibson ES-175 Tuners

bobframe

IMG_6593.jpeg.cd00306493fa44fd4c8d75eaede41771.jpegHI Guys!

I bought a Gibson ES-175 used in So Cal in the late 80's.  Based on its serial number Gibson customer service dates the guitar as 1970-1972.

I have done nothing to modify it, but don't know if the previous owner(s) did anything.  My question has to do with the tuners.  I always thought they were original because they say "Gibson"...but who knows.  It does appear to me now that most of the 70's ES-175's I see online have very different tuners...I guess they are a Schaller tuner marked with the name "Deluxe" and "Gibson" on them.  These style tuners mount to the rear of the head stock via two screws, one at the top of the tuner, one at the bottom.

My tuners appear to be a Grover tuner embossed with "Gibson" on them and mount to the head stock via a single screw set to the inside of the tuner body.  Importantly, I see no evidence of patched screw holes.  Seems to me that if these tuners were replacing the Schaller OEM tuners there would have been at least one, maybe two screw holes to patch.  I see zero evidence of any patchwork having been done.

So, here's the question:  Could my tuners be OEM?

Edited by bobframe

I'm no expert, but......

Next time you change strings carefully remove one of the tuners and have a look.  If there are no holes - I think you can assume they are original.   If they are replacements, it has been done very cleanly!

Forum members please correct me if I'm wrong!

jdgm,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.  I'll try to do as you have suggested.

I'm not certain, but it would appear to me that the style tuners that I usually see on this vintage ES-175 are a fair bit longer than those on my guitar.  Note the close vertical spacing between these tuners ( they nearly touch each other) compared with the spacing on my tuners.

00473_hs_back.jpg.07549ea36da4890ec8f1bff8956989bc.jpg

Which means that the two mounting holes would have been made outside the footprint (above and below) these tuners.  If that's right then the holes, assuming these were not original, would have had to been repaired.  And if all of this is correct, then the hole repairs (12 of them??) were done perfectly.  Seems like I'd see some evidence of 12 holes being patched and refinished.

Bob

Edited by bobframe