Gibson Brands Forums

Another fake vintage Dove?

Olive

1 hour ago, Olive said:

But the main question remain. Nobody know any guitar company maker in the 70th who would put the logo of Gibson on the headstock and ingrave a serial number very close from the Gibson serial number style.

I would say the probability is greater that an individual with repair/restoration skills modified the instrument.  Japanese makers were not known to engage in such deception, as they were invested in establishing legitimate worldwide distribution structures for their products.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm located near Montreal and I just got screwed by this same individual (same number and name). Sold me what was supposed to be a 50s Les Paul Special, turns out  it is a fake/counterfeit. I tried getting hold of him, he wont answer calls, emails or texts.

I will  try to alert Kijiji but not sure what I can do otherwise.

Michel

On 10/29/2020 at 3:32 PM, bobouz said:

The trussrod utilizing a metric Allen wrench tells you all you need to know.  This guitar is a fake & was not built in Kalamazoo by Gibson.

Where it actually was built is rather a moot point.  If you ever choose to sell it, simply be honest & list it as a ‘Gibson Copy’.

This!  ^---

• 1 month later...

End of the story :

Hey everyone ! Okay, so I decided to sand the «Gibson» logo on the headstock and surprise ... it was a sticker put a long time ago and vernish. Was a nice job but it was easy to remove. Behind the sticker there was no name.

The crown is a real inlay and is still there on the headstock.

I also took off the fake label inside so now it is no more a fake / conterfeit Gibson guitar. It's just an vintage no name and beautiful acoustic guitar.

For Christmas 2020, I gave it to a charity group for young people here in Gatineau hoping it would help in the community.

Stay save and happy new year to all of you.

Olive

Edited by Olive
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

thx E-minor7.

I called the police but nothing happen ...

The best thing I did was to write this post as  is if you're searching for James Savey on google, you'll find this post and you'll his phone number.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been eyeing Doves - played a 1968 model a friend has and it sounds beautiful but my impression is they don't all sound like that. That plus (a) the high prices they're fetching these days and (b) Olive's bittersweet tale has me a bit nervous about buying one online.  In particuIar, I've noticed that a lot of the Doves on Reverb seem to be shipping from Japan, which I gather is the source of a lot of the fakes. I know at one point Gibson tried to outsmart the 'clone' market in the East by partnering with a Japanese company to produce and sell "Orville by Gibson" guitars over there, including a Dove model. The headstock reads "Orville" in Gibson-y script. Has anyone played one of these? Would be interested in how they feel and sound as they seem to go for quite a bit less - also a fair bet that no one has counterfeited the Orvilles... Thoughts?

• 2 years later...

Hello People,

Three years later, i found the real name of the seller (liar and thief) of my fake Gibson Dove. His real name is John Cihelka and he lives in St-Adolphe d'Howard province of Québec. Sometimes, he call himself Frank, George, Jean or Del Monaco. He is selling his fake gears between Montréal / Ottawa / Winsor area.

There is many complain on this man on kijiji.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Olive said:

Hello People,

Three years later, i found the real name of the seller (liar and thief) of my fake Gibson Dove. His real name is John Cihelka and he lives in St-Adolphe d'Howard province of Québec. Sometimes, he call himself Frank, George, Jean or Del Monaco. He is selling his fake gears between Montréal / Ottawa / Winsor area.

There is many complain on this man on kijiji.

Cheers

Splendid work, Olive 🎖️ Keep all senses awake                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              , , , ,  and take a good long weekend. .