Gibson Brands Forums

Played a Firebird

chasAK

Gibson’s have been back in Anchorage for a while. Guitar Center came in. I don’t go in much as I want to support our local B&M shop and I am not in a market for a new guitar.

Long story short, I went in the other to just to see what Gibson acoustics they had. I want to play a baked top j45 sometime. Well, they still did not have one but they did have a Firebird! That is another guitar I have long wanted to play.

It was beautiful! Compared to the Dove my son’s former viola teacher had it was definitely bolder. That was my first thought, this thing is bold for a maple dred. It actually took me back some. It was loud and had a strong rich bass and nice highs and even middle. Even with the strong bass I would say it was still on the balanced end of the ledger. It sounded as beautiful and it looked!

chasAK

The Firebird is a monster, , , if you can say that about royalty. It's loud'n'big and full of bass'n'bliss. And as chakAK mentions offers a fine if not immaculate balance. A very soft guitar also - should we say elegantly mellow. As such it doesn't rock much - its nature is simply too classy to hit the primitive cool needed. For that same reason I have lowered my action to what many would consider too much. But I stand by it - it's a bit like having the king on a weekend visit and on the second day leading him through paths in the park where not only shoes, but also the lower pants sleeves get muddy. The dirt becomes a 'cleaner' - it's how things become real, right. . 

The F-bird isn't the most played acoustic here, but it stands as the majesty and thus plays an important role on the herd-scale. It sets perspective and I would miss it if it went.                              Yet this giant wouldn't be on the boat to the desert island. That choice is still a topic for back and forth speculations in this temple.

Hmmm, perhaps the second biggie :  the re-necked 66 CW. 

21 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

The Firebird is a monster, , , if you can say that about royalty. It's loud'n'big and full of bass'n'bliss. And as chakAK mentions offers a fine if not immaculate balance. A very soft guitar also - should we say elegantly mellow. As such it doesn't rock much - its nature is simply too classy to hit the primitive cool needed. For that same reason I have lowered my action to what many would consider too much. But I stand by it - it's a bit like having the king on a weekend visit and on the second day leading him through paths in the park where not only shoes, but also the lower pants sleeves get muddy. The dirt becomes a 'cleaner' - it's how things become real, right. . 

The F-bird isn't the most played acoustic here, but it stands as the majesty and thus plays an important role on the herd-scale. It sets perspective and I would miss it if it went.                              Yet this giant wouldn't be on the boat to the desert island. That choice is still a topic for back and forth speculations in this temple.

Hmmm, perhaps the second biggie :  the re-necked 66 CW. 

So ... youre saying you like it Em 7 .. ?  

Normally when I see Gibson and Firebird used together the first thing that pops into my Old School head is  reverse or non-reverse.  I have never laid my hands on the  acoustic versions.  But I have the impression that where Bozeman truly shines is not when they are trying to recreate a guitar from a past catalog but  toss that aside and go with what they think sounds best.  

Just listened again to a few Youtube vids ....it really is bold and big sounding. Isnt it a bit too big sounding ?  How does stack up to vocals, not overpowering ?  Deos remind me of my Martin J-40 which also has a big, bold tone, almost too big .... until i turned it down half a step and found the sweet spot.

32 minutes ago, EuroAussie said:

Just listened again to a few Youtube vids ....it really is bold and big sounding. Isnt it a bit too big sounding ?  How does stack up to vocals, not overpowering ?  Deos remind me of my Martin J-40 which also has a big, bold tone, almost too big .... until i turned it down half a step and found the sweet spot.

I think you're on the right track.

7 hours ago, EuroAussie said:

Its a Dove with serious attitude.

I like that description. The attitude it has is sober verses obnoxious. It blended well. I assume it would do well with vocals. I think it would also work well with solo pieces. It is a very nice instrument. My wife like it but the price tag was daunting. Good instruments are expensive but well worth the price.

7 hours ago, EuroAussie said:

So ... youre saying you like it Em 7 .. ?  

Hehe, , , as some may know I enjoy an on goin' party with quite a numerous and beyond doubt deep herd of acoustics here. The big F is in the heavy end for sure. Wouldn't say it rules the fest, I'd like to think I'm the boss, but it definitely weighs in. You need to man up and be in mood to play the Firebird. It's not a guitar to just reach out and pling away on. It may even decide what songs you choose, so watch out.  Why          It has to do with the volume, , but also the 'body' of the response - the fat dripping maple syrup so to speak.                                                                                                                 The more I get into finding my style, the more I have discovered how generally important the response is. By this we are into some highly subjective factors from which no general rules can be laid. So just take this an angle among many. As a fingerpicker with expressive stains of nail strumming fx, , ,  I like a quick 'answer' with a rather fast decay - simply to make way for the coming notes. The F-bird isn't born for that - as said it's tends to lean toward something giga and that kingsize-nature isn't snappy at all. Neither with old steel. But sit down and relax, , , then slowly drive the giant up - then there you have it :                  A clean acoustic limousine with all the pleasures such vehicle can provide, , , if you learn to take the right roads. .       

2010 ~6QPnuSm.jpg

11 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

acoustic limousine 

Well, there you go, again. (much said in 2 words). 

As you have D + F usually on the same strings; have you ever checked neck (set) angle/break angle over the saddle? Does either have an under saddle transducer strip? Both tiger maple, & no birdseye on the Firebird? Also wondering if you've ever gotten around to putting a contour gauge on the braces to measure any differences. Or maybe sometimes, y'just don't want to know.

Suppose tuning down is a fine way to tone things down, but that might not work for the kitchen jams.

If you are trying to re-open the F-bird / Dove being different/similar-theme, I can only once more assure you that they are related but of varied nature. Didn't we have some back-brace variation up in a thread about the 2 a few months ago. The Xs are placed in the same position, but touch-checking the top-braces tells my fingertips the F is a wing-feather thicker than the D. 

Break angle more or less identical - no strrrips. I sincerely wish you'll get a chance to A/B the pair. Your review would be of high value. 

Btw. just remembered that I actually got a test down the summer I was lucky enough to find the now 10 years old giant.                                                                                                                                                                                   The eqs then were neutral and the second half is bassier than the real life low E. This however is what it sounded like in 2012.