Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Bonamassa - "Royal Tea"

Rabs

I found the ascending and descending vocals (creating a tension and release vibe) at this point in the lyrics
Bring me back, keep me gone
Reel me in and waste my life
All the time
Royal tea

to be interesting, and very different. 

The guitar solo was a hybrid of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Eric Johnson, but Joe would be the first to admit that. 

😐

He's an awesome player but I always felt like he'd have more soul if he wasn't just playing everything at such high gain and just ripping the heck out of the guitar all the time.  Too heavy, too loud, too compressed, too Marshally.

And he's got that thin tinny white-guy-voice like me which doesn't necessarily pair well with the heavy guitar sound.  He's awesome, he's just not Muddy Waters or anything like that.

5 hours ago, kidblast said:

I like this guy a lot, been a huge fan for a long time.  Saw him in Boston about 3 years ago.  He's a machine and his band is incredible.

I don't think there's any one out there right now even close.

I agree. same here.  but I also agree with BBP ...

5 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

He's an awesome player but I always felt like he'd have more soul if he wasn't just playing everything at such high gain and just ripping the heck out of the guitar all the time.  Too heavy, too loud, too compressed, too Marshally.

And he's got that thin tinny white-guy-voice like me which doesn't necessarily pair well with the heavy guitar sound.  He's awesome, he's just not Muddy Waters or anything like that.

I do know just what you mean.  as far as his playing, it's blues rock which is my love but by his own admission he plays a lot of notes. he has said he uses heavy strings to force himself to slow down & play fewer notes.

and his voice, I think it's improved but I know what you mean. one of the 1st things that blew me away about SRV was his voice. yea he could play like nobodys business but man, that voice ...

Edited by Karloff

On 10/29/2020 at 1:44 PM, uncle fester said:

He seems to force the rock star persona, with the way he poses up on stage etc....  IMO

Still wish I had a 10th of his skills.  And a few of his guitars.

Oh my, You would have to have a warehouse to keep all his guitars in.  I'd sure love to have a few also.