Gibson Brands Forums

My EJ-200 and SJ-200

Brucebubs

Cool photo.  Let’s us know how the two compare.   Obviously, the Gibson model will champion in terms of materials and handmade craftsmanship, but let us realistically know the sonic, playing , and vibe differences, strengths, and weaknesses in view of the large price gap.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

2 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

Cool photo.  Let’s us know how the two compare.   Obviously, the Gibson model will champion in terms of materials and handmade craftsmanship, but let us realistically know the sonic, playing , and vibe differences, strengths, and weaknesses in view of the large price gap.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Let me start by saying I really like my EJ-200 - swapped saddle and pins to bone and found round core DR Sunbeams lights just lifted  way above it's pay grade! - narrow nut was as small as I could handle - needed a firm right hand to really bring out it's best.

This SJ-200  is a completely different experience - a little lighter build with a slightly wider nut but it sits on your lap exactly the same as the EJ-200 - after that well, everything is different - more responsive so ease right back with the right hand - There's just no need to hit the strings as hard - huge depth of tone yet beautifully balanced - this is a jumbo guitar that really lets you know it's a jumbo - imagine you've only ever played upright pianos and now you're playing  a grand piano for the 1st time ... with the lid open! -my EJ-200 was best as a strummer, the Gibson is way more versatile, finger-style, flat-pick & strumming,  in some part that wider nut really helps make it too - fret board on the SJ feels a little flatter than the EJ too.

My EJ-200 is a great guitar and I often find myself smiling at how good it is for the price - the Gibson was hugely expensive here in Australia but when you get over that it will make you smile for different reasons.

Edited by Brucebubs
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 10:46 AM, jaxson50 said:

That explains a lot 

The irony, of course, is an actual 1957 J200 was built with a laminate back and rim.  Gibson,  for whatever reason, felt laminate maple in particular had a magic to it and started building L-Century guitars with it in the mid-1930s.   

The modern bias against laminate is based on the fact that most have only played guitars built with  laminate made with some el cheapo filler wood sandwiched in between two layers of nice veneer and have no experience with laminate made from even layers of the same wood glued together.  

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, zombywoof said:

The irony, of course, is an actual 1957 J200 was built with a laminate back and rim.  Gibson,  for whatever reason, felt laminate maple in particular had a magic to it and started building L-Century guitars with it in the mid-1930s.   

The modern bias against laminate is based on the fact that most have only played guitars built with  laminate made with some el cheapo filler wood sandwiched in between two layers of nice veneer and have no experience with laminate made from even layers of the same wood glued together.  

There are plywood guitars then there are laminated ones. As with the EJ-160 e made famous by John Lennon and Harrison in the early Beatles years,  laminated EJ160e 's  were designed for amplification,  to reduce feedback.

Laminated back and side construction is common in violin and cello and upright bass construction and well as in resonator guitars for the stability and because as in classical guitars,  if used for back and sides coupled with well voiced solid wood top the projection can be very good, and the top wood becomes the pri art tone wood. 

Hi Brucebubs,

I also have a 2012 EJ200.  By the time I started looking for a natural non cutaway one (about 2014) , they'd already stopped making them. I came across this one in Melbourne of all of in things the music shop that I'd bought my first guitar in  1982 , just happened to walk past the section that had the cheapies on guitar stands on the floor and saw it from the corner of my eye. Imagine my surprise, put it on layby that minute. - (it did have a bit of dust on it :)

I've replaced the bridge with a bone one and after trying various string types (the standard jumbo gibson strings hurt my ears it the compression was that loud), I settled on d'addario silk and steel - which for me is quite fine. It records very well and quiet finger picking has a nice bass depth) - and is fine for strumming.

Mine is a solid top (I can see the grain on the edge of the soundhole. (apparantely all the last ones made in 2012 were).

I didnt like the pickguard though, tried a few alternates and was lucky enough to find a genuine one.  I've included a pic of the guitar when I put the new pickguard on and one  today  - the wood seems to have yellowed a bit (which I like). I've also replaced the truss rod cover.  Happy to see that the new ones  in  2020 now finally have nice pickguards too :)

(I know my pickguard is lifting  ... thats my  next project).

Have a nice day :)

2014 - 2020.jpg

That looks great with that pickguard. Mine has a Planet Waves 'O' Port Sound Enhancer fitted by the previous owner, it sounds great as is so I just left it in. As I mentioned previously I changed the saddle and bridge pins to bone and they really improved things then I discovered DR Sunbeam round-core .012 lights and they lift it to a whole new level.

My serial number is - 12032310993

tYQJiKpl.jpg

Edited by Brucebubs

Cheers,  thanks for the tip re the sunbeams - i'll have to get hold of  some.

I checked with the epiphone serial number decoder website : 

My Serial number : 123023110869 - 

"Your guitar was made in
Indonesia
on March, 2012
Production Number: 10869"

Your serial number : 12032310993 - 

"Your guitar was made in
Indonesia
on March, 2012
Production Number: 10993"

The '23'  after the 1230 is the Samick factory in Indonesia. Both made in March and I suspect, sent in the same shipment to Australia.  As I think serial numbers  list is shared by all models as the guitars are completed  - our guitars may even be from the same batch of EJ200's,  I did read you had found this one in Hobart?, im in Melbourne .

I'd forgotten how pale it looked  when I bought it. I  dont have a case so its just on a guitar stand,  in room which is sometimes bright and I figure the light  has darkened it a bit. seems to be the top, which is a different wood, I've read its Spruce. the maple sides dont seem to have changed much.  Anyway I dont mind, but I will get a case at some point.

Thanks for your response - have a great night.

• 2 weeks later...