Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brucebubs

My EJ-200 and SJ-200

Took this shot yesterday of my 2012 Epiphone EJ-200 Natural and new 2020 Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200 Vintage Sunburst.

3t5ZiMSh.jpg

Cool photo.  Let’s us know how the two compare.   Obviously, the Gibson model will champion in terms of materials and handmade craftsmanship, but let us realistically know the sonic, playing , and vibe differences, strengths, and weaknesses in view of the large price gap.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

2 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

Cool photo.  Let’s us know how the two compare.   Obviously, the Gibson model will champion in terms of materials and handmade craftsmanship, but let us realistically know the sonic, playing , and vibe differences, strengths, and weaknesses in view of the large price gap.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Let me start by saying I really like my EJ-200 - swapped saddle and pins to bone and found round core DR Sunbeams lights just lifted  way above it's pay grade! - narrow nut was as small as I could handle - needed a firm right hand to really bring out it's best.

This SJ-200  is a completely different experience - a little lighter build with a slightly wider nut but it sits on your lap exactly the same as the EJ-200 - after that well, everything is different - more responsive so ease right back with the right hand - There's just no need to hit the strings as hard - huge depth of tone yet beautifully balanced - this is a jumbo guitar that really lets you know it's a jumbo - imagine you've only ever played upright pianos and now you're playing  a grand piano for the 1st time ... with the lid open! -my EJ-200 was best as a strummer, the Gibson is way more versatile, finger-style, flat-pick & strumming,  in some part that wider nut really helps make it too - fret board on the SJ feels a little flatter than the EJ too.

My EJ-200 is a great guitar and I often find myself smiling at how good it is for the price - the Gibson was hugely expensive here in Australia but when you get over that it will make you smile for different reasons.

Edited by Brucebubs
  • Thanks 2