Gibson Brands Forums

Grover Imperials?

Buc McMaster

I'm considering changing the Waverly machines out on my Western Classic for the big, stair-step button Grover Imperials. I have seen a few 200s with these machines and think the big button looks right on a big-bodied guitar. From looking at dimensional info on Stew Mac's site this will require enlarging the post hole in the headstock by 1/16", making a simple return to the original Waverlys impossible - no plug-n-play test run. Reversing the process would be tricky. Anyone have first hand experience with the big ol' Imperials? Impressions?

(Imperials would also add about 4.25 ounces to the headstock! Increased mass = sustain? Remember the Fatheads?)

In my opinion: don't do it. The Waverly's are superior and the larger Imperials are too close together

when the buttons are in line with each other. I wish I could remove my Imperials but

they will leave an impression on the back of the headstock that I don't want to have.

If you are dead set on removing the Waverly tuners, I may be a buyer for them to put on

another guitar!

Too close together for what? Surely they don't hit each other. Spacing looks good on other 200s I've seen with Imperials. In what regard are the Waverly's superior? Imperials have been good enough for archtops through history and on many flattops. I do like Waverlys......well-made machine head......but superior?

I have the 1994 Custom Ray Whitley SJ200 which is a really fancy Western Classic with the brazilian rosewood back and sides and hand carved mother of pearl inlays. It has the gold imperials on it but personally I would not change yours out. They would work just fine and you keep it original

Too close together for what? Surely they don't hit each other. Spacing looks good on other 200s I've seen with Imperials. In what regard are the Waverly's superior? Imperials have been good enough for archtops through history and on many flattops. I do like Waverlys......well-made machine head......but superior?

When I say too close, I mean the space between the tuners is very close if the buttons are parallel to the headstock. I have large hands and sometimes I can bump the "A" tuner when adjusting the "E" tuner and so forth.

Then I have to re-tune the "A". I prefer the smaller buttons and the extra clearance they provide.

I think the Waverlys seem to hold as well or better than any other tuners. The open backs also make lubrication a snap.

Archived