Gibson Brands Forums

..Gibson vintage guitars prices???

restrain1

Hey guys..

I just wanted to ask about the vintage les paul that are around in the market.. (ebay ;p)

Can you please explain me some things.. yeah it might sound a bit noob but anyway..

What is the most important factor of a vintage gibson les paul guitar have an increase in the price??

yeah i know that the year manufactured ( i.e 1976) and the condition of the guitar are the most important ones but are there any other factors that increase the price of the guitar?? does the model play any significant role? any specific year??

i've been seeing these les paul going for 38000 USD on ebay and I was wondering...

in simple words... How do I value a gibson les paul vintage guitar if I wanna sell it? (...and No, unfortunately I dont have a vintage les paul ) :)

thanks

take care

Hey guys..

I just wanted to ask about the vintage les paul that are around in the market.. (ebay ;p)

Can you please explain me some things.. yeah it might sound a bit noob but anyway..

What is the most important factor of a vintage gibson les paul guitar have an increase in the price??

yeah i know that the year manufactured ( i.e 1976) and the condition of the guitar are the most important ones but are there any other factors that increase the price of the guitar?? does the model play any significant role? any specific year??

i've been seeing these les paul going for 38000 USD on ebay and I was wondering...

in simple words... How do I value a gibson les paul vintage guitar if I wanna sell it? (...and No' date=' unfortunately I dont have a vintage les paul ) :)

thanks

take care[/quote']

So is this a guitar you plan on playing or buying as an investment? Because I am not sure a vintage guitar means it will play any better than a new Les Paul--especially one of the reissues.

In terms of an investment...I am not sure that they are that great of an investment. They might retain their value over time and keep place with inflation, but may not appreciate that much.

www.gruhn.com George has as much information as you could hope to know, on all things "Vintage"

with regards to guitars (and other stringed instruments). Photos will be helpful, but if you know the year,

model, and if it's ALL original (condition and parts), or what's been changed, modified, etc., that will help

too.

CB

Vintage guitars are like vintage cars or anything vintage, there are only so many of them. If lots of people want them and only a few are available, the price goes up. When the economy goes bad, everyone sells them, lots on the market but no buyers, price drops. Almost like the stock market.

As mentioned previously, Gruhn's is a good place to start. As you'll realise quite soon, if you are talking about serious collector's items, originality and condition are essential for top-dollar prices. '58 - '60 Les Paul Standards can fetch over $ 300,000 if they are pretty enough.

In pure investment terms, as far as the rest go anything Gibson and old is a good gamble but it is still a gamble at the end of the day - otherwise all the brokers would be buying up every old guitar that came on the market - and the popular high quality solid- and semi-solid bodies from 1952-1966-ish would be the most valuable. In general all the LP Standards and Customs, SG's, Flying V's, Firebirds and Explorers, to name just a few, are a fine place to begin.

A period of the Gibson history known as the Norlin era (late 1966- 1980 or thereabouts) is not widely regarded as being 'their finest hour' and, as there were many good instruments produced during this period, they would be an excellent and relatively inexpensive place to start. If you choose to go down this route it is essential that you know what to look for or else tag along with someone else who does.

At present there seem to be many McCarty period ('48-'66) SG's etc. at very affordable prices. If I wished to start a collection of classic instruments then I would start here. There is even a 1964 vintage Firebird III on ebay at the moment for less than a 2008 Johnny Winter re-issue.

As with all areas of collecting the adage "Buy something you really do like yourself" applies as does the "Caveat Emptor" warning....

Good luck.

Fifties Les Paul Juniors and Specials were a good place to get into the vintage Gibson game a year or two ago. Even now, some people are saying that they're due for a price jump in the next few years. As someone else also mentioned, SGs seem to be a bargain right now compared to the Les Paul Market. None of these guitars are going to be cheap, but if your looking for an investment, remember the old saying "you need to spend money to make money".

Rarity has nothing to do with it. A Gibson Flying V2 is a rare guitar, you don't see those bringing in large amounts of money. It all depends on how many famous people played them. If Jimmy Page didn't play a '59 Les Paul they'd be selling for half of what they're selling for today.

Archived