Gibson Brands Forums

The Beer, Brews or Ales Thread

Riffster

Favorites? local breweries? do you brew your own?

My dad worked 30 years for the brewery that makes Dos Equis, Tecate, Bohemia, Carta Blanca and others in Mexico, he worked in payroll so he did not have one of the cool jobs but I used to get beer almost for free.

Over the weekend I had a couple of Acme Indian Ale and at 6.5% alcohol I started to get comfortably numb quick. Real hoppy beer, that blend was invented to make the long trip from England to India when it was still a colony.

One of my favorites are Bohemia, Pilsner Urquell and Guinness or Murphy when I am in the mood for a Stout.

We have the Yazoo brewery here in Nashville, I have not made it to their tap room but I am planning to.

I guess I'm blessed to have several quality micro breweries around me.

No.1 Firestone-Walker: The Pale Ale has won several American Beer Festival Awards as well as some international awards. They also make Double Barrel and India Pale Ale as well as a couple of pretty good dark beers.

No.2 Santa Maria Brewery. It's tucked away off Hwy. 166 just off 101 and the San Luis Obispo county line. Dan has won several awards for his pale ale. His stout is very good, as is his summer blonde.

No.3 San Luis Obispo Brewery. It's actually under new management. Still, good quality brews.

Favorites? local breweries? do you brew your own?

One of my favorites are Bohemia' date=' Pilsner Urquell and Guinness or Murphy when I am in the mood for a Stout.

[/quote']

I don't drink at all any more, but I used to and I brewed my own.

Urquell at one time was considered one of the best pils and it's good, but my favorite pils was Dortmunder Union. I took a vacation to Germany and one of my priorities was to taste as many beers as possible. I came across some great ones and often it was from a small local brewerie like Iserlohne brau.

I used to enjoy a good Dopple Bach beer as probably my all time favorite, but man are they fattening. Oh well, those days are over and I don't really miss it.

i live near Peoria, Illinois, where the Pabst brewery used to be, although I was never a big fan of Pabst. This area has a long history of brewerys and distilleries. Skyy Vodka is produced in this area. I'm a whiskey drinker but a few weeks ago, I had a Blue Moon draft, and liked it quite a bit.

There is a big home brew club in Houston called the Foam Rangers, we used to play for their big brew parties. They brewed some incredible different brews...different styles and flavors, including special brews (blueberry, spice, etc.) for the holidays...we got to try them all between sets, it was a great gig.

Fat Tire and Chimay

Fat Tire is another beer I've been drinking lately.

Over Christmas an English friend of mine pulled his collection and between 4 of us we tasted 26 beers form England, Germany, Belgium, Canada and the US. there were all sorts of bottle sizes. Some were old, from 2002 all the way to 2008. Obviously some of those beers are brewed to keep good with time. The high alcohol content helps there.

Hen's Tooth was my favorite that night.

I love Blue Moon but have found some other Belgin Witts I like better like Leinenkugle Sunset Wheat or the local Granite City Resturant's Belgin Witt they brew once a year. I also love Leinenkugles Honey Weiss. Of course I put a Orange slice in the Blue Moon/Belgin Witts and a Lemon slice in the Hoeny Weiss. My buddy thinks fruit in beer is somewhat gay, but I prefer it that way.

There's a place in Tahoe called Bill's where you could get a Pete's Wicked Ale and a Hot Dog for a Dollar. Needless to say' date=' I was there every Pay Day.[/quote']

I would have been there too. I was at a place in Charlotte called Buckethead or something like that and they had it real cheap. For some reason it's become hard to find in MD. Only a few stores around me carry it and then it's hit or miss if it's in stock.

I am close, personal friends with Valeria, The Beer Goddess. This last week at the war, she had a milk stout, a chocolate porter, some "Jesus Jack" pale ale (among others) that she had brewed for her husband's Chivalric Vigil. My personal favorite is the batch she made in the oaken whiskey barrel (YUM!). I have found that once you've had a really good home brew, commercial beer just isn't the same.

One of the greatest things about the SCA... the talented artisans #-o.

It makes me thirsty, this most agreeable thread :-)

I generally like Czech beer a lot. A few years ago I also got into US beer and now I keep myself in Samuel Adams (Black Lager is a favourite) and Anchor Port and Steam. Then there's the odd english ale, of course, and the latest discovery, Scottish Innis & Gunn.

One question for the US crowd: how about Arrogant Bastard Ale - I've been considering importing a crate - should I?

DJ

--

I guess I'm blessed to have several quality micro breweries around me.

No.1 Firestone-Walker: The Pale Ale has won several American Beer Festival Awards as well as some international awards. They also make Double Barrel and India Pale Ale as well as a couple of pretty good dark beers.

No.2 Santa Maria Brewery. It's tucked away off Hwy. 166 just off 101 and the San Luis Obispo county line. Dan has won several awards for his pale ale. His stout is very good' date=' as is his summer blonde.

No.3 San Luis Obispo Brewery. It's actually under new management. Still, good quality brews.[/quote']

Been out that way many times (my cousin has a vineyard in San Miguel). Been to the Firestone vineyard but I didn't get a chance to try out the Pale Ale at the brewery (I think it's down the street off of 46 by the 101 if I'm not mistaken). Anyhow, I heard great things about it...

Archived