Gibson Brands Forums

Today is the day

SteveFord

7 hours ago, brad1 said:

I love the day after an election.

Not because I want to know who wins.

But because finally there is a stop to the ubiquitous political advertising on TV, on my phone, and in my mailbox.

This year the day after is gonna be a s-hit storm of I won the election and the other guy winning is fake news. And let's not get started on the Electoral College (hey what is their mascot anyway ?). Get  ready its coming. I already got my 9mm loaded ready to protect the homestead from looters.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Just get this S show over with... I’m so over these partisan hacks from every which way and side... Hey, America DESERVES what it gets plain and simple, that’s how I feel about it all. We’ve made our bed for years to lead up to this point in time. But to me, one choice is a half plate of crap and the other is the full serving. Either way, it’s crap on a plate, bon appetit. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

Voting is done, no rioting or looting was evident, package outside of front door appears iconic enough:

YLnHAwl.jpg

Iconic Maple Leaf prominently displayed, some scuffage evident, reports of fisticuffs at the local Wal-Mart prove to be unfounded (it was only an elderly patron with a gas problem at the 20 items or less Express Line) ...

I91ICmQ.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Voting is done, no rioting or looting was evident, package outside of front door appears iconic enough:

YLnHAwl.jpg

Iconic Maple Leaf prominently displayed, some scuffage evident, reports of fisticuffs at the local Wal-Mart prove to be unfounded (it was only an elderly patron with a gas problem at the 20 items or less Express Line) ...

I91ICmQ.jpg

nice !!

lets see it !

I see a Maple Leaf on the case.

It better be a Marauder or a Corvus, its to skinny to be a J-45.

That case is for an  Explorer or is it the illusive Firebird VII.  Flying V's have weird looking cases.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Don't I wish!

It appears as if something has piereced the underside of the sturdy Canadian case

hRjJMYA.jpg

which has somehow either caused my Switchmaster 5 to become deflated or there is a mummified body under the ICONIC (and aptly named) shroud.  At least we figured out where the smell was coming from.  Don't think baking soda and sunlight will fix this one.

hwvIYVI.jpg

Distressing to say the least and I see on CNN that Hair Force One is on the tarmac, being refuelled, while a conga line of forklifts are filling the hold with what appears to be gold bars and all the towels.  

What the heck?

• Sad 1

Good Christ, it's the Ghost Of Elvis' Guitar come to haunt my miserable butt on Election Night!!!

You know, that Martin with the patented sound deadening leather cover seen here with a genuine Vintage Elvis Fan who is probably my mother.

lkd1E6P.jpgE

We also encountered another Elvis fan out in the parking lot on the way out but that's a story for another time.

WcMClaV.jpg

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 1

Where was I?  

Instead of a body in the advanced stages of decomposition under the shroud I found this weird looking hunka junk

uR4nepN.jpg

but they did all kinds of strange stuff  during the Norlin era.   

Anyone watching CBS?  All of the old telephone booths have been pressed into COVID-Free socially distanced voting booths but they're being mistaken for Porta Potties.  This is a disaster!

Enough silliness, I finally snagged my last guitar, the one model I sold in the past that just killed me, the ICONIC Firebird VII.

This is an 05 and has the banjo tuners

1cnlK2E.jpg

ebony fretboard with a proper headstock (unlike the current Firebird V, hint hint Gibson)

JHvcUGb.jpg

you saw the Schaller roller for the Lyre tailpiece

5rWAuKF.jpg

and here's the whole thing.

9IOTju3.jpg

I've been after this particular guitar for months and watched (in horror) as it went from the original owner to one flipper after another after another, bouncing from one end of the country to the other.  I just couldn't swing it whenever it would resurface but my wife came to the rescue and floated me a loan for this one.  She's a keeper and so is this guitar.

It's in really good shape but the gold plating is mostly rubbed off of the Lyre bit.  It kind of looks like someone used a metal polish and went oops...

Hope you guys enjoyed watching me put together the COVID Collection and poking fun at Gibson's ICONIC marketing machine.  

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 1

Got the truss rod adjusted right and the action set up okay.  I never had a roller bridge and those suckers can be moved sideways SO this afternoon I got the string spacing to where it feels normal.  I was really having a hard time with it.  I say, this is hardly ICONIC, I'm pretty sure I used to know how to play...

The aftermarket strap button on the bottom was stripped out so I repaired that and I think it's good to go.

True, GAS only goes into remission and there are still some I covet (ES-330L, ES-175, ES-355, you get the idea, the members here have some beautiful instruments which inspire impure thoughts) but it's get ready to retire or work until I croak. 

Which sounds like more fun?  Work or not work?  Hmmm...