Gibson Brands Forums

Martin Custom Shop D28 vs Luthiers Choice AJ Comparison

J185cat

22 hours ago, tpbiii said:

Well historically you could have some really D-18 from that period for not too much money.  I think maybe not anymore.

Regardless of tonal nuance, I don't bond well with Martin dreads for my most common finger style -- alternating thumb with finger picks.  I generally need to get more noise from the guitar because I generally play in loud-ish  acoustic environments -- not that I never play quieter and naked (fingers that is) in public, but seldom and I don't seek it out.  A lot of the folk and gospel that I do that way is fast and loud, and I really pop the back beat.   Martin's signature large midrange tends to overpower the other nuance when I do it.  I prefer Gibsons -- Banners and small 30s stuff.  The more sparse midranges on even the classic Js work well for me -- making them more flexible.  Different strokes.

I do hand with some old folkies (guilty) and they love the 00s.

Best,

-Tom

Loud acoustic environments is what the D-28 was made for. To be loud enough to compete with all the other instruments.

There is a reason they call D-28's cannons.

I think my D-35 is the loudest acoustic guitar I've owned.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I am one of those players who while never becoming as good as I wanted to be but is not half as bad as I think I am.  But from what I have heard in the videos you have posted. you can play me under the table.   Me, I am undisciplined to the point of just keeping my head above sloppy.    But the way I look at it, your style is a combination of strengths and weaknesses.   That is my story and I am sticking to it.

That is me too!  Maybe we may get to pick someday someway.

Let's pick,

-Tom

7 hours ago, ratherbwalkn said:

Thanks Tom,  You always share your excellent collection,   and you are a wealth of knowledge on older guitars 

Im not going to bring it up,  but you also have the best 00-17 war time guitar I ever heard! It been a few years 

but that guitar's sound, I can still hear it...........cheers

Yea that guitar -- our very first Martin (pawn shop) -- changed (ruined?) our lives.

Best,

-Tom

Edited by tpbiii

15 hours ago, tpbiii said:

That is me too!  Maybe we may get to pick someday someway.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Yea that guitar -- our very first Martin (pawn shop) -- changed (ruined?) our lives.

Best,

-Tom

That would truly be fun. 

My first guitar though was also a Martin.  Some  archtop which a friend of my grandfather had sitting in a closet and knowing I wanted a guitar badly gave it to me as a birthday gift.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

About 10 years ago I called Martin direct. I told them my 1975 D-35 which I bought new had a couple issues I wanted taken care under the Lifetime Warranty.. I told them I wanted the work done at the factory not some Shop.. They set it up, I sent it to them.. They went above & beyond repairing things I didn't even notice. Including Bracing, Bridge, Pickguard, Neck Reset & some other things... I asked them how much $$ it cost. They said $0.00.. All Warranty work... 

I decided to have them do a re-fret & add the appropriate Electronics which are invisible...  The Guitar came back in perfect condition, like new.. I did ask if they'd refinish it to look like new. They said, No. Because it would take another 40 years to get the Tone I have now... But they did detail it beautifully..

I was & still am 110% satisfied & happy! I would buy another Martin in a heartbeat..

Edited by Larsongs

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

About 10 years ago I called Martin direct. I told them my 1975 D-35 which I bought new had a couple issues I wanted taken care under the Lifetime Warranty.. I told them I wanted the work done at the factory not some Shop.. They set it up, I sent it to them.. They went above & beyond repairing things I didn't even notice. Including Bracing, Bridge, Pickguard, Neck Reset & some other things... I asked them how much $$ it cost. They said $0.00.. All Warranty work... 

I decided to have them do a re-fret & add the appropriate Electronics which are invisible...  The Guitar came back in perfect condition, like new.. I did ask if they'd refinish it to look like new. They said, No. Because it would take another 40 years to get the Tone I have now... But they did detail it beautifully..

I was & still am 110% satisfied & happy! I would buy another Martin in a heartbeat..

The days of neck resets from Martin are over. Any companies should do whatever warrenty work needs to be done for free! It's your warrenty so you better honor it. 

I had the bridge lift a year and a half ago on my D-28 and all it cost me to get it repaired was a drive to an authorized Martin repair guy.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Thanks for the input Larsongs.  I had thought a little bit about calling Martin direct also but hadn’t got around to it yet.  I am waiting now to hear back from a second local luthier on an appointment, he is busy.  Like I said this is not a major problem, more an irritant like a mosquito buzzing around  your head.  However you don’t expect this from a CS guitar.  As you can imagine they are NOT inexpensive.  This is my first and likely only Martin, not because of issues or dislike, it is a great sounding guitar.  I just have more guitars than I need now.  So I want this one perfect.

1 hour ago, J185cat said:

Thanks for the input Larsongs.  I had thought a little bit about calling Martin direct also but hadn’t got around to it yet.  I am waiting now to hear back from a second local luthier on an appointment, he is busy.  Like I said this is not a major problem, more an irritant like a mosquito buzzing around  your head.  However you don’t expect this from a CS guitar.  As you can imagine they are NOT inexpensive.  This is my first and likely only Martin, not because of issues or dislike, it is a great sounding guitar.  I just have more guitars than I need now.  So I want this one perfect.

I'm assuming you bought it new being a 2020... A local Repair Guy can't replace your Guitar if that's what is needed. But, he can screw it up so your Warranty could become void... Call Martin Customer Service.. Don't waste time with Email...

Or if it's a Guitar you just bought you could return & exchange for another...

Been there done that.....

I have a story.  It says good things I guess about Martin warranty. 

We NEVER bought new guitars -- except once.  By then we had sold our souls to you-know-who and were playing bluegrass, but for the whole 50+ years we were together my late would would occasionally do her long hair (she never cut her hair when I knew her) folksinger stuff.  Her "best" instruments for that were 1960s Martin S models -- 12 fret dreads. 

Well in 1995 Martin offered 45 Sing Out 45 year anniversary guitars -- the HD-28SO.  It also had the property that its bracing and design was sort of a clone to the 32 D-2 -- 12 fret forerunner of the D-28.  That was unique at that time.  So we made a deal with our favorite local Martin dealer for a discount and we waited.

PHVS110.jpgd6G6h0j.jpg

Well in addition to making Aina Jo sneeze, it's neck was tacky.  We held it for six months, but no improvement so back it went to PA.  (They had had a supplier problem at the time).  It came back with the neck refinished, but still tacky -- the second time was the charm.

The guitar never got too much playing time -- sneezing doesn't help performance, but the RW smell eventually subsided.

The guitar had some later adventures -- it was stolen from a storage unit while my house was being worked on, but then returned untouched.  Finally it needed a neck adjustment -- I normally might do that myself, but the nut was jammed.  Fearful, I took it to a well know luthier who agreed it was stuck and should not be forced.  So we took it to a local quality Martin repair guy -- he also agreed it was stuck.  Martin told him not to force it.  Upshot, the neck came out to fix the problem.  Now -- 25 years later -- it seems to be perfect. 

I might complain some about the guitar, but I can't complain about the warranty.  They did try to imagine some playing ware, but since the guitar was pretty much unplayed and exactly like it came from the factory that went nowhere.  And indeed except for the obvious, it is a beautifully built and sounding new guitar.

I have no recordings -- new guitars don't get much respect around here I guess.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Edited by tpbiii