Gibson Brands Forums

Belated NGD - Gibson Doves in Flight

EDP

I have been learning my new guitars and procrastinating posting a video.  I have such a crazy stress response.  My hands are literally shaking when when I turn on the mic and camera.  I do love that it is a life long journey...I am going to need it.  🙂

Anyway, thought I would do something silly to take minds off of election day.  How many of you know the words to these Peanuts clips?

Cheers and thanks for all the great support on this site!

https://vimeo.com/475140299

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have wanted a Dove for a while, but can't justify owning 2 guitars over 4k. If that Doves In Flight fancy work was on a Martin it would be called to over the top and too bligey like my D-41 was for the abalone fancy stuff by the Gibson guys and you know it.

It's a beaut.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Thanks.  I was not a fan of the bling initially but I played one and fell in lust.  Will admit is has grown on me.  Also a tone and mood thing.  My new banner LG-2 is dark, stripped down and beautiful and I love those looks as well.

Also hear you on the budget.  I am  in downsizing-towards-retirement mode and have far fewer guitars now than in the past but the current ones will be heirlooms.

Stay well.

Very nice! Great bit of fun, too, with your song choice and video. Congrats on your new guitar! The Dove is still on a very short list to fill the remaining slot in my small collection. I dig the looks and sound.

On 11/6/2020 at 10:27 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have wanted a Dove for a while, but can't justify owning 2 guitars over 4k. If that Doves In Flight fancy work was on a Martin it would be called to over the top and too bligey like my D-41 was for the abalone fancy stuff by the Gibson guys and you know it.

It's a beaut.

As a fellow D-41 owner, nawp. Not too blingy.  🙂

14 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Very nice! Great bit of fun, too, with your song choice and video. Congrats on your new guitar! The Dove is still on a very short list to fill the remaining slot in my small collection. I dig the looks and sound.

I dig it. I want one but not the price tag. 

And you Pat Biker are probably the only one who would say so.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 11/7/2020 at 5:28 PM, PatriotsBiker said:

As a fellow D-41 and DIF owner, nawp. Not too blingy.

Gibson DIFDIF 2

Gibson DIF

Martin CS-D41-15

Martin CS-D41-15

Martin CS-D41-15

16 hours ago, Dave F said:

As a fellow D-41 and DIF owner, nawp. Not too blingy.

Gibson DIFDIF 2

Gibson DIF

Martin CS-D41-15

Martin CS-D41-15

Martin CS-D41-15

I just have a boring standard model. That D-41 with the swirly fancy work is the absolute coolest Martin I have ever seen. Martin can keep the dumb one that looks like clock gears and the motorcycle one or the ones with Painted Dogs on the top.

5dGkAqN.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 11/9/2020 at 10:21 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just have a boring standard model. That D-41 with the swirly fancy work is the absolute coolest Martin I have ever seen. Martin can keep the dumb one that looks like clock gears and the motorcycle one or the ones with Painted Dogs on the top.

5dGkAqN.jpg

As has been discussed before, I'm not a fan of either the Martin's or Gibson's that are covered in bling.  Both of my dreadnoughts (1974 D28 and 2001 J-45) are basic transportation, which is the way I prefer my guitars.

Which leads to a question I've wanted to ask for a while, but haven't up to now because it goes against Gibson Orthodoxy and will likely bring the wrath of the Bird Guitar people down upon me.

However, having survived a serious case of Covid, I've become bolder in my old age and am willing to risk it.

Is it possible to buy a Hummingbird or Dove without those engraved and oddly shaped pickguards? 

Civil replies without the usual troll accusations would be appreciated.

RBSinTo

8 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

As has been discussed before, I'm not a fan of either the Martin's or Gibson's that are covered in bling.  Both of my dreadnoughts (1974 D28 and 2001 J-45) are basic transportation, which is the way I prefer my guitars.

Which leads to a question I've wanted to ask for a while, but haven't up to now because it goes against Gibson Orthodoxy and will likely bring the wrath of the Bird Guitar people down upon me.

However, having survived a serious case of Covid, I've become bolder in my old age and am willing to risk it.

Is it possible to buy a Hummingbird or Dove without those engraved and oddly shaped pickguards? 

Civil replies without the usual troll accusations would be appreciated.

RBSinTo

Guitar Center occasionally have special runs that come close to the specs that are bling-less. They usually have names like Hummingbird Pro. Gibson also makes Studio models. You can also find models very similar to the Humming bird  like the Country and Western. I don't recall anything similar to the Dove.

Hummingbird Studio Rosewood

Hummingbird Sustainable

Hummingbird Studio Walnut

27 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Guitar Center occasionally have special runs that come close to the specs that are bling-less. They usually have names like Hummingbird Pro. Gibson also makes Studio models. You can also find models very similar to the Humming bird  like the Country and Western. I don't recall anything similar to the Dove.

I'm willing to bet you can't if you want the Standard HBird or Dove with a different pick guard. I guess you could get one and replace the pick guard. I like solid black ones. I am not a fan of tortoise but my 12'er, 15, 18 and 41 all have them.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I've never played one but the Country and Western looks like a good alternative to the Hummingbird

Hummingbird

Body Shape Hummingbird

Top Sitka spruce

Back Mahogany

Side Mahogany

Bracing Traditional hand scalloped X-bracing

Binding Multi-ply top, multi-ply back

Finish Nitrocellulose

Neck Material Mahogany 

Profile Round

Scale Length 24.75" / 628.65mm 

Fingerboard Material Rosewood