Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Limited Edition J-45 Big Leaf Maple Tonewood Acoustic-Electric Guitar

jrny99

hello all, I have bought me a Gibson Limited Edition J-45 Big Leaf Maple Tonewood Acoustic-Electric Guitar 2016 and it says 1 of 75 inside. it is a light guitar and beautiful. anyone have any info on this beside that it is a limited guitar Gibson put out in 2016 claiming to be hand made. would you put 13's on this? spec says .012- .053

PXL_20201104_200230129.jpg

PXL_20201104_200247443.jpg

PXL_20201104_200432240.PORTRAIT.jpg

j45 1.jpg

• Like 1

I looked at this model when it came out (maple fan). Very nice. Here’s some info from an old MF write up:

This Limited Edition J-45 Big Leaf Maple is a wonderful addition to the Tonewood Edition Series. A Sitka spruce top is joined with a mahogany neck and beautiful big leaf maple back and sides. Yielding an instrument with pure Gibson tone with a rich, projective midrange and ample sustain. This Limited Edition features the added versatility of an L.R. Baggs VTC pickup for easy plug and play anywhere you perform and vintage style gold open back Grover tuners. Only 75 handmade instruments will be available for this June limited edition hand-built in Bozeman, Montana. 

Body

• Body type: Slope Shoulder Dreadnought
  • Cutaway: No
  • Top wood: Sitka Spruce
  • Back & sides: Big Leaf Maple
  • Bracing pattern: Scalloped X
  • Body finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
  • Orientation: Right handed

Neck

• Neck shape: Slim taper
  • Nut width: 1.725 in. (43.8 mm)
  • Fingerboard: Rosewood
  • Neck wood: Mahogany
  • Scale length: 24.75 in.
  • Number of frets: 20
  • Neck finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer

Electronics

• Pickup/preamp: Yes
  • Brand: L.R. Baggs
  • Configuration: Undersaddle transducer
  • Preamp EQ: 1-band
  • Feedback filter: No
  • Tuner: No

Other

• Headstock overlay: Holly
  • Tuning machines: Grover Open Back Gold
  • Bridge: Rosewood
  • Saddle & nut: Bone

1 hour ago, BigKahune said:

Here’s some info from an old MF write up: . . .

Nice Job coming up with that info, Big- I thought it was one of the handful of natural-finished maple J-45's that Wildwood Guitars, Louisville, CO had on their site earlier this year. Equally enticing.

1 hour ago, jrny99 said:

thank you, it's still breathing in it's new home, it sounds fantastic and plays smooth. I might have to raise the strings, should i use the truss rod or replace the saddle nut hmmm

Congrats on the maple J-45. . . they're a fairly uncommon twist on an iconic Gibson acoustic. Were you looking for a maple Gibson, or a J-45 first? The maple ones are considered to record very well, so if you're ever feeling the urge. . . 

As to truss rod adjust or nut/saddle mods, considering the guitar was most likely set up for 12's, maybe try those 13's that you're thinking about & have it set up for those.

First Gibson? or nitro-finished guitar? As easy as it is to leave the small tuners on the headstock and still be able to put the guitar back in the case, it's best to remove the tuner, or risk it damaging the finish on the headstock:

l7n4qE5.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent point about damage from leaving that tuner attached.

I'm so paranoid with my new SJ-200 that I clip the tuner on the 5A  Gotoh keystone button - tune  the 6E string - then clip the tuner on the 6E string button and tune the rest!

p.s. Back & sides are stunning on that guitar too - I like it a lot!

Grover Sta-Tite tuners - have they used round shaped push-fit bushes or have they used a washer with the push fit bushes? Martin guitars used a washer with these at some stage and they became notorious for causing buzzing from the headstock - remedied by simply removing the washer.

Edited by Brucebubs

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

Nice Job coming up with that info, Big- I thought it was one of the handful of natural-finished maple J-45's that Wildwood Guitars, Louisville, CO had on their site earlier this year. Equally enticing.

Congrats on the maple J-45. . . they're a fairly uncommon twist on an iconic Gibson acoustic. Were you looking for a maple Gibson, or a J-45 first? The maple ones are considered to record very well, so if you're ever feeling the urge. . . 

As to truss rod adjust or nut/saddle mods, considering the guitar was most likely set up for 12's, maybe try those 13's that you're thinking about & have it set up for those.

First Gibson? or nitro-finished guitar? As easy as it is to leave the small tuners on the headstock and still be able to put the guitar back in the case, it's best to remove the tuner, or risk it damaging the finish on the headstock:

thank you for the info kind person. I was looking for a J 45 and noticed the 1 of 75 and thought nothing of it. this is my first Gibson and I am happy with it.

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

l7n4qE5.jpg

Congratulations on your new and rare find! I bet that is quite something to play and hear. I've lusted after Hummingbird Limited Edition Maple before. I didn't know or remember that they made some H45s with maple. Cool!!!

Adding to what 62Burst was saying, in the even you want to do everything you can yourself, I would very much suggest purchasing an acoustic guitar setup book. Learn the measurement and adjustment techniques, including the order in which to do things in.

22 hours ago, jrny99 said:

..... I might have to raise the strings, should i use the truss rod or replace the saddle nut hmmm

Is it a buzz?  Is the guitar a bit dry (low humidity)?  I wouldn’t mess with the nut - a tad too high and you’ll get into sharp fretted notes in the first two or three frets. 
I would let it continue to acclimate to its new home for a few days with an eye on humidity. If that doesn’t help you might think about a higher saddle.

BTW, she’s a beauty.  😎

• Like 1

While maple isn't my thing, it's a beautiful guitar. And, yes, treat yourself to a pro set-up. It is worth every penny.

I'm glad others have warned against keeping the tuner clipped to the headstock. If they hadn't, I was going to say something IN ALL CAPS because that is the fastest and surest way of screwing up a nitro finish. Clip the tuner on, tune up and take the tuner off. Same goes if you use a Kyser capo. Don't stick it on the headstock. Better yet, don't use a Kyser capo. They suck and there are lots better capos out there.

I'll issue the same warning about leaving the guitar on a stand for long periods of time.  Don't. Even stands that advertise themselves as "nitro-friendly" cause problems if you leave the guitar on them for days at a time. And fixing a problem with a nitro finish means your guitar will be in the shop for awhile. Nitro takes forever to cure. Many of us (including your gentle herald) have learned this the hard way.

Above all, play the heck out your guitar and be thankful you have a nice one. But remember the music is in you, not the guitar. The guitar is just a tool.

I'm a Maple fanatic, and have been a big fan of Maple 45s for a long time. Around 2008 there was a run of particularly stellar Maple 45s from Bozeman which really stole my heart... unfortunately I didn't have enough in the way of funds to snaffle one, but I never forgot them. When they brought out the Big Leaf run in 2015/16 I only got to try one of them, but that particular guitar was even better than the 2008s I tried. Really, really great.

Enjoy yours in good health...I agree that it's a really good idea to get a pro setup on it asap!

Congratulations - this guitar will grow into a golden wonder. As a keeper of 2 maple squares, I'd really like to try a slope.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        And let's forget they also came with (sometimes laminate) Mpl-back'n'sides back in the 1940s. 

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Can you sell me (and the rest of the planet) maple in 3 sentences, slogans, charm-lines. 

I'm sure you can - could be a fun-game to open. 

I'll most certainly try!

1 - Cleanliness...Maple is an extremely clean and direct tonewood which gives articulate and crisp lead lines and full, balanced chords with great note separation

2 - You get out what you put in...Maple is the most honest and exposing of all the tonewoods I've played, if a passage, progression or entire song is played just so, it will sound fantastic, but one mistake, poorly fretted note or buzzy hammer-on/pull-off and it's as if a gigantic finger comes crashing through the ceiling, pointing directly at the player, accompanied by a booming voice announcing "THIS IS THE ONE THAT GOT IT WRONG!".  This aspect of Maple has made me a better player ten times over in the last sixteen years or so since I started playing SJ200s and the like.

3 -Nothing is easier on-mic...I've made twelve albums over the years and have been a sessioneer on another forty or so records, and producers and engineers always shout "THAT ONE!" whenever we're doing a shootout on mic and I pull a Maple guitar out. My Dove in particular records astonishingly well, as did my former J180...there is a balance and lack of sonic clutter about Maple that makes it sit effortlessly in a mix with barely any front end work or ITB tweaking.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jinder said:

I'll most certainly try!

1 - Cleanliness...Maple is an extremely clean and direct tonewood which gives articulate and crisp lead lines and full, balanced chords with great note separation

2 - You get out what you put in...Maple is the most honest and exposing of all the tonewoods I've played, if a passage, progression or entire song is played just so, it will sound fantastic, but one mistake, poorly fretted note or buzzy hammer-on/pull-off and it's as if a gigantic finger comes crashing through the ceiling, pointing directly at the player, accompanied by a booming voice announcing "THIS IS THE ONE THAT GOT IT WRONG!".  This aspect of Maple has made me a better player ten times over in the last sixteen years or so since I started playing SJ200s and the like.

3 -Nothing is easier on-mic...I've made twelve albums over the years and have been a sessioneer on another forty or so records, and producers and engineers always shout "THAT ONE!" whenever we're doing a shootout on mic and I pull a Maple guitar out. My Dove in particular records astonishingly well, as did my former J180...there is a balance and lack of sonic clutter about Maple that makes it sit effortlessly in a mix with barely any front end work or ITB tweaking.

Ahh great - I didn't give you the trophy above but will here 🏆 Your insight and finesse are appreciated.                                                                                                                                                                                                    Wonder what state of strings is recommended for recording. Well, guess it could depend on the role. . 

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

1.   Maple - unlike other tone woods, isn't  syrupy.

2.   Maple - stands alone: nothing rhymes with it.   Except for staple, which is impossible to work into a song. 

3.   Maple -  not just for shipping pallets anymore. 

Have to say I tap a lot of syrup from the pair here :  96 Dove and 2010 Firebird.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Dig these for sure, but find their mellowness less defined than my roses and hogs. This feeling/opinion contrasts the common view - which is one of the reasons for investigating.

Jrny - if you take her out in the sun -  your will be bowled over my how translucent and shimmery that flamed maple becomes.   Don't stay there too long though. UV rays etc.  The nitro is probably still 'fresh'.  In a year or less  it will be 'cured'.     And, Welcome !   Hope you stick around. 

18 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Jrny - if you take her out in the sun -  your will be bowled over my how translucent and shimmery that flamed maple becomes.   Don't stay there too long though. UV rays etc.  The nitro is probably still 'fresh'.  In a year or less  it will be 'cured'.     And, Welcome !   Hope you stick around. 

(It’s a 2016 model)