Gibson Brands Forums

Brand new Les Paul standard not in tune?

Jayharr58

I ordered a brand new Les Paul standard from guitar center. It was delivered , once unboxed I noticed it was not even close to in tune. However, they include a photo of the guitar hooked up to a tuning machine? 

its my  first “brand new”  Les Paul  so maybe this is normal?

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Jayharr58 said:

I order red a brand new Les Paul standard from guitar center. It was delivered , once unboxed I noticed it was not even close to in tune. However, they include a photo of the guitar hooked up to a tuning machine? 

Thoughts?

It was shipped correctly.  No guitar should be shipped with the strings in tune.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jayharr58 said:

I ordered a brand new Les Paul standard from guitar center. It was delivered , once unboxed I noticed it was not even close to in tune. However, they include a photo of the guitar hooked up to a tuning machine? 

Thoughts?

Some de-tune the guitar as they believe the string tension is a risk factor during shipping. Not everyone buys into this of course, but at least it does no harm.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply, after writing this I did some research and actually read about this. 
im trying to figure out what the picture they send of the guitar your purchasing laying on some sort of mechanical table. I assumed it had something to do with tuning but obviously I’m wrong. I’ll see if I can upload the photo.

Edited by Jayharr58

7 minutes ago, Jayharr58 said:

Thanks for the reply, after writing this I did some research and actually read about this. 
im trying to figure out what the picture they send of the guitar your purchasing laying on some sort of mechanical table. I assumed it had something to do with tuning but obviously I’m wrong. I’ll see if I can’t upload the photo.

That the guitars 'birthday' pic. The final set up/check on the bench  before shipping out. Nice touch I reckon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

That is handsome.

Is that a real strap or one of the cheap For Display Purposes Only ones they usually include?

Lol, I did get the cheapo one but I think the one in the picture is the upgraded soft bridle leather strap.

I bought that extra. I almost didn’t buy it  because of the cost, but once it arrived and I saw and felt how comfortable and nice it was I was happy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jayharr58 said:

Lol, I did get the cheapo one but I think the one in the picture is the upgraded soft bridle leather strap.

I bought that extra. I almost didn’t buy it  because of the cost, but once it arrived and I saw and felt how comfortable and nice it was I was happy.

Just remember that you want a very good strap...  Don't cheapy out on this.  You're trusting that that thing will hold up your expensive guitar and not have it swing around on your shoulder.  Get a nice piece of leather - not that plasticy crap, leather.  That's too nice of a guitar to trust it to some seat belt material POS or any other garbage $20 strap. 

On 11/5/2020 at 8:08 AM, Jayharr58 said:

Thoughts?

I guess you like getting a guitar with a snapped neck. Strings are slacked when shiped. I know my ES-335 came in tune with the classic smile break.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Just remember that you want a very good strap...  Don't cheapy out on this.  You're trusting that that thing will hold up your expensive guitar and not have it swing around on your shoulder.  Get a nice piece of leather - not that plasticy crap, leather.  That's too nice of a guitar to trust it to some seat belt material POS or any other garbage $20 strap. 

Here is the nicer one from Gibson it was 129.00 the most I have ever paid for a strap.

i just saw that link for walker and Williams and those are even nicer for less $$ 

105CED2E-F25E-4B40-B49E-4DA8D2D335EF.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jayharr58 said:

Here is the nicer one from Gibson it was 129.00 the most I have ever paid for a strap.

i just saw that link for walker and Williams and those are even nicer for less $$ 

105CED2E-F25E-4B40-B49E-4DA8D2D335EF.jpeg

That’s really nice man! I have a Gibson one that cost me about the same. They are costly but good investment nonetheless. 

12 hours ago, Jayharr58 said:

How do you post pics? It always says I’m exceeding 0.49mb. That’s why I put the link in. Thank you for posting them. I need to learn how to do it now! 

I grabbed your pix by right clicking and selecting 'copy image location' (or words to that effect). If you open (double click) your IMGUR picture it will redisplay with links on the right hand side. I select 'direct' from the options. It will enter your copy buffer. Then in your post here just 'paste' control+v or use mouse right click.