Gibson Brands Forums

Brand new Les Paul standard not in tune?

Jayharr58

The guitar comes with a PLEK'd setup from Gibson.  So, Guitar Center is verifying/tweaking  that setup on their own?  Is this GC setup a "just for Gibsons" thing?  I can't imagine that occurring (with a picture no less) on any guitar you get from GC.  The whole thing seems odd to me.   That being said ... that is a FABULOUS guitar.    

The picture is from the Gibson Factory. It's at one of the Final Assembly QC stations. After it's checked and passed QC, they take a digital photo using the serial number as a file name for future reference. They print it out right there on a small dye sub printer. It's supposed to be like a "baby photo", just a perk for the new owner.

3 hours ago, Jim Bagodonuts said:

The picture is from the Gibson Factory. It's at one of the Final Assembly QC stations. After it's checked and passed QC, they take a digital photo using the serial number as a file name for future reference. They print it out right there on a small dye sub printer. It's supposed to be like a "baby photo", just a perk for the new owner.

Okay, that makes more sense.  How long have they been doing  that?  

On 11/7/2020 at 8:54 AM, merciful-evans said:

I grabbed your pix by right clicking and selecting 'copy image location' (or words to that effect). If you open (double click) your IMGUR picture it will redisplay with links on the right hand side. I select 'direct' from the options. It will enter your copy buffer. Then in your post here just 'paste' control+v or use mouse right click.

Right on, thanks man. I figured it out 👍

On 11/7/2020 at 12:47 PM, 01GT eibach said:

The guitar comes with a PLEK'd setup from Gibson.  So, Guitar Center is verifying/tweaking  that setup on their own?  Is this GC setup a "just for Gibsons" thing?  I can't imagine that occurring (with a picture no less) on any guitar you get from GC.  The whole thing seems odd to me.   That being said ... that is a FABULOUS guitar.    

Thanks man, I think she’s way prettier in person!, can’t see the flames to much in the photo.

I actually did the whole transaction from online , basically GC was really only the middle man. It was mailed directly to my home. I wanted to get it from the local GC a mile away from my house but the guy I got to help me the day I was ready to buy was not well informed on much so opted to do it all online.  

Thanks for all the information.

4 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

Those "cheapo" straps that Gibson includes with the guitars are awesome.  I use every one I have.  👍👍

I concur.  At least it is a piece of what appears to be leather.  I just don't like the straps that are made of that nylon weave junk to hold up my Gibson guitars.  They dig into my shoulder and not much grip on my clothing.  They are not as comfortable as my nice padded leather Gibson strap when I use it for an extended period of time.  Either way, the straps that come with the Gibsons these days are alright to say the least. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 8:08 AM, Jayharr58 said:

I ordered a brand new Les Paul standard from guitar center. It was delivered , once unboxed I noticed it was not even close to in tune. However, they include a photo of the guitar hooked up to a tuning machine? 

its my  first “brand new”  Les Paul  so maybe this is normal?

Thoughts?

The guitar has been shipped,  was bouncing around in a truck  and subject to different temperatures and humidity. Why would you even think it would be in tune? Most guitars don't stay in tune when you put them in the case for a day or two. I have never even picked up a guitar or bass off the wall of music store that was in tune.   This is completely normal. Tune it and enjoy it. 

14 hours ago, Kmonk said:

The guitar has been shipped,  was bouncing around in a truck  and subject to different temperatures and humidity. Why would you even think it would be in tune? Most guitars don't stay in tune when you put them in the case for a day or two. I have never even picked up a guitar or bass off the wall of music store that was in tune.   This is completely normal. Tune it and enjoy it. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1