Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul 57 RI 1999 Custom or Les Paul Standard 2019

xichlo

I have a choice to buy a Gibson Les Paul Custom 57 Reissue 1999 (good condition)  , asking price $2K, and a Like-New Gibson Les Paul 50s Standard 1999 , asking price $1600. 

I am a Strat guy . This will be my first Les Paul . I like chunky neck so based on my research both 57 and 50s probably has similar neck.

I have heard Gibson has had some quality control in the old guitar. so  I am not sure if the quality of the 1999 Custom is any better than the 2019 Standard. 

I really appreciate your advices.

Thank you

Randy

LPCustom58.jpg

LP50s.jpg

Edited by xichlo
  • Like 1

I’d be more inclined to chase down that Custom. Would be a bit more heavier most likely than the Standard so take that into account. I usually expect the USA LPs to be 9lbs, Customs to be around 10. This is not a given obviously, but I have 3 customs one being a BB R7 (and it’s a chunker alright) and they are a bit heavier (think keeping it strapped up for a set). My USA Standard is about 9 give or take a few ounces... only my R9s are sub 9lbs - one being 8lbs 3 oz (other 8.75lbs). And my R7s have some baseball bat necks. I like the R9 profile best though - NOTHING beats it IMHO. The Standard probably has Burstbucker set of pickups - not sure what Custom would have in 99. My 03 has 57 Classics. I like the Classics more... Custom looks more “classy” than Standard - and ebony fretboard to boot.

You mention good condition so not too sure what qualifies that... Think of having to possibly fret dress/crown being it’s a 99 which costs a little bit more to make it play right. Hopefully you have some life in the frets to do a dress eventually. The newer guitar probably doesn’t have as much wear being it is a year or 2 old - something to consider...

Overall, I think you are dealing with some good years of production whichever you choose. Good luck and show pics or it didn’t happen. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

Thank you SteveFord and NighthawkChris for replying. The Custom 1999 , the owner is a pro guitarist, he bought it originally in 1999 and played for 10 years to 2009 and put it back in the closet, at least that what he said, he said it is in a good condition but everything is working.

The Standard 2019 is from a bed room player who bought it for himself, still in the original set of strings with the receipt.

The price is quite similar , with some negotiation, it will probably come down a bit. I am more concerned with the weight and the quality. 

I can't test the Standard because it is 1.5h away, but the Custom is only 45min drive. I may come and check out the custom. 10lbs is quite heavy compare to a Strat that I am playing now. I have tested a few new Gibson standard and the weight is quite comfortable to me.

I will keep you posted which one I will go with. 

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by xichlo