Gibson Brands Forums

Advice for a complete novice

GB8

Remember this: "There is no better motivation than sounding good". Good gear is a must.

+1 and funny I just saw that you wrote that as I just checked in to write this to GB8...

GB8: In your original post, you mentioned the Lucille because you are a big fan of BB King. That's cool but you should understand that a good portion of a guitar player's sound comes from the person himself. That is, BB sounds like BB. Also worth noting is that BB plays with a LOT of volume - I mean LOUD. I've seen him perform several times and his stage volume is pretty startling and I'm sure that a good portion of the sound he gets stems from the amount of volume he uses to get that guitar to really sing.

You're just starting on your guitar journey and it's cool that you're into gear, doing research on it and asking question; I wish the internet was around when I started playing as I would have saved a lot of money in the long run. But, as a beginner, try not to get *too* hung up on it or, at least, to the point where you're spending more time fiddling with gear than playing (something I did after playing for a few years - I spent more time screwing with my amp than playing).

Regarding acoustics...what do you guys think about the J-45 Standard? Or other J-45's.

Hey Rich...yep I do understand that no doubt. I'm into photography as well. And it's the same. It's not the camera but the man behind the lens. I just thought the Lucille might be a good choice as I am into Blues Rock and BB King (Bo Didley, Chuck Berry, Jeff Healey, Colin James...etc.). So I assumed there was something about the build of the Lucille that better suited people into Blues Rock.

If I go electric first...I think it will be a LP Standard or Lucille. But, I'm sort of leaning more towards picking up a good acoustic first like the J-45 Standard. Definitely does make sense to start with acoustics...as much as I'd like to just jump into electrics first. This is just an hobby for me. Something to do to kick back and unwind. Have no aspirations to start a band or join a band at all.

Studio all the way, you will learn what you want to play and its everything a standard is without body binding, etc. You will learn faster on electric and acoustic will be something you want to get into once you get good. Also you will learn skills vital to electric guitar like dampening, volume and tone control, etc. Plus if you really suck, distortion makes you sound better and maybe you will impress the ladies! LOL

Regarding acoustics...what do you guys think about the J-45 Standard? Or other J-45's.

Hey Rich...yep I do understand that no doubt. I'm into photography as well. And it's the same. It's not the camera but the man behind the lens. I just thought the Lucille might be a good choice as I am into Blues Rock and BB King (Bo Didley' date=' Chuck Berry, Jeff Healey, Colin James...etc.). So I assumed there was something about the build of the Lucille that better suited people into Blues Rock.

If I go electric first...I think it will be a LP Standard or Lucille. But, I'm sort of leaning more towards picking up a good acoustic first like the J-45 Standard. Definitely does make sense to start with acoustics...as much as I'd like to just jump into electrics first. This is just an hobby for me. Something to do to kick back and unwind. Have no aspirations to start a band or join a band at all. [/quote']

If you go acoustic, I'd check out the Martin's and Taylor's too. I'm a bit partial to the Martin D-28, but as has been said many times "on any given day, just about any brand could be the best sounding acoustic in the store". Try them all out. Take a friend who knows how to play to help find that one that is perfect for you. You'll need to balance sound and quality. For example you might think the Applause sounds the best on that given day (doubtful since I got the last Applause that sounded good some 31 years ago), but it could happen. Anyway you need to say it sounds good, but what of the quality. In the second category it would be hard to beat Gibson, Martin, Taylor and etc. etc..

I think electrics are easier to pick. I chose the Gibson LP Standard mostly for the classic rock sound and of coarse reputation and quality. I love it. Note: I didn't say LP Studio, Classic, Jr. or other. But, that is solely a personal decision on sound. I don't doubt all are well made.

If you go acoustic and want to spend as much as 3k on it, I would buy a small builder guitar like a collings or a goodall, they make gibson, taylor, and martin guitars sound like poopy. I love my les paul, but i've only heard one nice gibson acoustic in the 100's that i've played and it was like a 50 year old jumbo that i would have to rip from my buddy's cold dead hands!

GB8, look for a premium plus studio though with a better flame top, those new worn finishes are ugly. Otherwise, go for a ebony or white studio. Rock on! Also, for an inexpensive amp that will get you all of those sounds you are looking for without buying a bunch of pedals is a VOX AD15vt. I picked up one to screw around with used for $100 and it sounds pretty sweet.

I may take some flack for this, but don't buy any guitar you haven't held in your hands first. I would never, never, never buy one from any on line dealer. Buy pics, strings, even amps on line, but never guitars.

By now you should be completely confused. For a beginner to go out and spend big money on a Les Paul is rediculous. And you will be shocked by how loud a 5 watt amp is.

Rediculous gets censored? WHAT A BUNCH OF ****IN BULLSHITT!

If you go acoustic and want to spend as much as 3k on it' date=' I would buy a small builder guitar like a collings or a goodall, they make gibson, taylor, and martin guitars sound like poopy. I love my les paul, but i've only heard one nice gibson acoustic in the 100's that i've played and it was like a 50 year old jumbo that i would have to rip from my buddy's cold dead hands![/quote']

Will look into Goodall & Collings. Haven't heard of them. Hope they will be available locally in my home city of Toronto (Ontario, Canada). I'm in LA right now. Won't be back home till mid-April.

As for finishes I do like Gibson's "Heritage Cherry" and maybe "Desert Bloom". Not sure if that was what was referred to as "worn". And there is the beautiful mahogany finish on the Robot Studio LP. But that axe is 5k plus MSRP. Most I plan to spend on any guitar is 3k (amp not included).

Later guys.

Wow...I don't know how you could read this and not get confused!

If you want to buy an acoustic to mellow out with, I suggest you check out an Epiphone Masterbuilt. They're pretty decent for less than half the cost of a Gibson equivalent.

If you go electric, you're on the right track with the Les Paul Studio.

Amps...15-20watts solid state with a headphone jack. Someone suggested a Vox ADVT15, I'd bump that to the ADVT30.

You're just starting out so you have no idea what feels right yet. You might consider renting from your local L&M and try a few out before dropping $3K on one new guitar.

I've owned a number of guitars over the years--most were fairly cheap. I did own a really nice and expensive Tacoma guitar. I really liked it..but I didn't pick it up that much. The same with the cheap guitars. They never felt that right to me. I bought a Standard about a year ago. I absolutely love it and I play it every day without fail. I just feels right and is so much fun to play.

I visited the Collings website. Listened to a few video clips (and watched obviously). Dunno if it's the recording or just me but all the acoustics sound a tad on the bright side. Not too appealing to me. Realizing I'd be better off hearing the guitars in-person. Unfortunately that's not possible with the Collings. And if most acoustics sound similar I'm not sure I'd want to start with an acoustic. I'd want one with a full-bodied sound with good mid-range. Definitely not bright sounding.

Will definitely try to get some one who can play acoustic to help me test out a few before making any judgements. If they still sound bright I guess I'll start with an electric. LP Standard or Studio. And maybe the VOX amp the ADVT30. Assuming they are available in TO (Toronto).

Thanks for you advice so far guys!

And KSG...lessons were part of the plan =D> I wasn't going to plunk down 3k and just stare at my new shinny LP LOL!! :)

P.S sorry GB8 Didn't want to clog up your thread.( with sig issues of others). Hope your search for a guitar is resolving itself and you find what your looking for' date=' you won't go far wrong with a 335 if you really want to jump in the deep end straight away. ++1 on the sounding good from the start comments. Amp wise do consider Guitar Rig through your computer with a decent set of studio monitors, its a good way to get a feel for different amps. Also its a good way to record your practising. Keeping a log of progress is an invaluable encouragement for the times you think your playing wont ever progress when usually it will have.[/quote']

No problem friend. :) Maybe you could PM him.

As for Guitar Rig...will look into that. Nice to have access to so many amps! Especially when I have no real idea which one I really want. Even if the GR3 package runs almost $600.00 USD. More than a lot of amps I've seen online.

I think the B.B King Lucille is a 355. A variation of the 335.

But as I said it would be either that or a LP Standard. Or a Studio. The Robot LP Studio looks interesting (never mind that it's a beautiful looking guitar). Like the fact that it can tune itself. Or tune itself to the playing style of certain artists. And would be a little freaky seeing it do this. Yet cool at the same time. Might even come in handy for novices like me (and maybe experienced players like you and the others).

Any opinions on the "Robot" LPs guys? Or should I avoid them even? Seems like a good idea on the surface.

Hello Roger,

I think it's great you have this hobby into your "semi-retirment" years. Having collected the guitars you have. And being so devoted to this hobby that you'd bring a guitar/amp with you on travels. The only items I bring is my 15" Apple MacBook Pro laptop and my DSLR camera equipment. As photography is my first love. That and easier to travel with vs a guitar/amp.

GR3? Leaning that way. Will likely buy a LP Standard or 335 Lucille. And a pair of Mackies (powered monitor speakers). And go with that setup for a few years. Then later, after I'm familiar with a few amps, I might buy the real thing. I'm assuming using a LP Standard and real amp will sound much better. Noticeably too.

Not too crazy about bright sounds. (e.g. guitars or speakers in a home theater setup).

As for learning a simple chord...will probably get the salesman to demo them for me. Most should be able to play semi-competently. And probably teach in their spare time. Trick is finding one into Blues Rock. :)

And I am sort of interested in the SG Standard as well. Heard some people play on some YouTube clips. Sounded very similar (at least online played through my MacBook Pro speakers heh). And it's almost 1k cheaper than the LP Standard. See here...

http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=products&ProductsID=1415

Could always consider the LP Standard of Lucille later in the game. :)

Hey Roger,

Bristol. Just noticed that's where you're from. My cousin went to the university there. :-k

As i said, while I love the sound of electrics (and who doesn't), I seriously doubt I'll be carrying around one on travels. Cheap as they are. Along with an amp. I've got enough gear to carry already. Laptop, photography gear and of course the luggage. But to each his own. :)

Lot of guitar shops in LA?? Hmmmm...I'd assume there are tons and great legendary ones. As lots of top musicians live and perform in the area. But I doubt I'll be visiting any shops till I'm back in Toronto. After I've settled into my new home. Which will probably take me a month or so after I'm back. Will definitely handle the SG Standard first. Though based on the YouTube reviews it "should" be fine in my hands the way the neck is shaped. The way it will rest against my body. And it is light compared to the LP Standard which is said to leave you with a sore neck/shoulders.

Will see when the time comes. Thanks for your help. And I'll probably post again in May. Might have bought my new axe by then. :)

Archived