Gibson Brands Forums

anyone out there dealing with, starting to deal with arthritis in your hands ? it's setting in for me. in my wrists & my left thumb. comes & goes. 

what do you guys take ? what do you do to help ? I've broken 24 bones over the years so I'm no stranger to aches & pains. but this makes it painful to play which really sucks. 

Yeah my hands can get quite bad...   All of the years I played games (and did it for a living for many years),  playing guitars and then the last how ever many years of working with wood..  I get very achy sometimes...

Just take whatever painkillers when its really bad..

What I do find that helps when I was working is if I had achy hands when I get home I run them under cold water for as long as I can take it (and its usually very cold from the tap over here)... 

Thats about all I got... I do worry how they are going to be in ten years from now.

• Thanks 1

Thankfully Doug for me, nothing major, some stiffness in my index finger joint from time to time. ,  I'd say get it checked so you know what you are dealing with.  My wife Deb has RA, and that is some nasty stuff.  It's not the same as the Ostio arthritis. 

• Thanks 1

Rabs & Ray, thanks. yea my wife has it bad thru out. she's actually started on the edibles 10 months ago and it's really helped with her pain.  she's been able to reduce her opiod intake by 80%

DMSO works for me, as well as joint supplements. But DMSO gives me my hands back, usually with immediate relief.

• Thanks 1

Hey Karloff, I would send a PM to one of our members here by the name of Digger. You may be familiar with him. He lives Down Under, and for years has discussed his issues with arthritus and hand pain. I believe he uses tumeric. And it helps him a lot. Notes Norton has also talked about joint pain in the past.

Anyway, you might want to try talking with Digger or Notes. [smile]

• Thanks 1

vitamin B6 helped me with wrists and elbows and falls under cant hurt to try. B6 not 12---- NOT LARGE DOSES,  good luck and health to you

• Thanks 1

I have Psoriatic arthritis and moderate to severe osteoarthritis in most of my major joints.  The osteoarthritis in my knees is now so bad they both need to be replaced and the arthritis in my lower back, combined with disk problems (including surgery) and spinal stenosis, makes life challenging .  I’m fortunate that my hands and wrists are probably the least problematic of all my joints.  On those occasions when I do have hand and/or wrist pain, I apply ice (if there is swelling) then heat.  Naproxen tends to work better for joint pain than ibuprofen.  And the Humira for my psoriatic arthritis has been a lifesaver.

• Thanks 1

I have arthritis in both thumbs, pinky fingers, as they both dip down and have bumps on top, I can't play much at all with the pinky finger. I try and cheat as much as possible when I have to use it. Also in the knuckles. There are days, the hands and or fingers hurt so much  I take pain killers and do little, Other times they hurt, but I can suffer through playing for awhile and then I have to quit.  Mine is hereditary from my mother and also from all the chemo drugs I was given way back in 80.  I was told they would give me early arthritis. I used to take Blessed Natures Cherry juice. It seemed to help a lot. But I can't find it on the market anymore. It helped people that used canes to walk and within a week or so, they didn't need them anymore. Then I tried, Oils and sprays that worked only for an hour or so.  I tried so many products, it would start feeling better, then I quit? Now, it comes and goes  and I'm not sure if winter or summer is worse.  Really, The best product I ever tried was Blessed Natures Cherry concentrated tart juice. One tablespoon was like 64 cherries. It would pucker up the lips! I used to put it in my Protein drinks or tea.  I tried the tumeric also. Still have that. 

• Thanks 1

I have been having problems with my wrist and hands and fingers for a  couple of years but recently started using CBD tincture and I can really see an improvement,  I was very reluctant to try it but I'm glad I did. 

• Thanks 1

Cod liver oil capsules is very good for slowing down all joint problems, one a day. I hope this helps and it certainly can't do any harm. 

• Thanks 1

I have Osteoarthritis in both thumbs. Started about 8 years ago. It scared me initially because it was affecting my guitar playing. 

My way of playing has altered greatly because of this. The good part about it though is I didn't have to figure anything out. The pain just made me adapt my technique naturally.

The difference is grip. Bar chords are difficult and I now play fewer of them. Solos are easy. I now play almost without touching the back of the neck at all. Some minimal palm heel contact is happening though. Gripping the guitar body with the right arm helps to stabilise the neck playing this way.

I tried tumeric after discussing it with Digger. I used it for about a year, I honestly don't know if it did any good. If it did, I was not aware of it. Perhaps if I hadn't used it, the condition might be worse. 

• Thanks 1

hey guys, I really appreciate all the responses. I'll look into everything mentioned.  "getting old ain't for sissies".

I had arthritis in my little finger from a former basketball misadventure that I skipped over G# notes on my sax, changed keys of songs to avoid them, and substituted my ring finger on the guitar fretboard.

I also had bursitis in my hip so bad that I couldn't walk 2 blocks without stopping to sit, and couldn't drive without a blue-ice pack behind my right hip.

Then a doctor gave me the Arthritis/Bursitis diet.

Now I can play all the G#s I want, use the little finger on the guitar, walk 3-4 miles at least 4 days a week, and can drive 8 hours with no pain.

Note: I'm not a doctor and am not giving medical advice. Check with your doc before doing anything (legal disclaimer)

The diet:

For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar:

Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action.

Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:

* Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats) lean is good
    * Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Egg yolks (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Poultry - chicken, duck, turkey (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Pasta (high glycemic index)
    * Juices (high glycemic index)
    * Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
    * White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye)
    * Nightshade Plants bother many but not all people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)

Glycemic index charts can be found on the Internet.

Better choices are foods with a low glycemic index and foods that are heavy in monounsaturated fats. Some specific good foods are:

* Salmon and other fish
    * Oatmeal
    * Low glycemic fresh fruits and vegetables
    * Olives and olive oil
    * Peanuts and other nuts
    * Whey proteins
    * Lean beef is good, 100% grass fed is better

My mother-in-law had dietary restrictions so she couldn't do it. So I bought her a PEMFT device (Pulsed Electro-Magnetic Frequency Therapy). My brother-in-law did some financial work for a guy who makes these devices for medical professionals, and he helped me pick a small portable unit for use at home (he doesn't sell home units).

If interested PM me. Once someone buys this device, they can sell it and make a profit. I have no intention to make a profit, so if you decide you want one, you can get it from me, I'll send you my commission, which is close to $100. I already have 2 businesses, I don't need to sell these things, but I'll be happy to help my friends.

But take my advice, try the diet first, it's free.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 3

Wish I could offer advice - but I don't have anything in addition to the above.  I give Notes super hi accolades for his diet plan...  I'm a strong believer if we can adhere to a diet targeting such a thing- it would make dramatic improvements.

Regardless, condolences on the issue and hope you make strides in the right direction.  My affliction is tennis elbo, not arthritis, but it did stop me from playing a bit.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

I had arthritis in my little finger from a former basketball misadventure that I skipped over G# notes on my sax, changed keys of songs to avoid them, and substituted my ring finger on the guitar fretboard.

I also had bursitis in my hip so bad that I couldn't walk 2 blocks without stopping to sit, and couldn't drive without a blue-ice pack behind my right hip.

Then a doctor gave me the Arthritis/Bursitis diet.

Now I can play all the G#s I want, use the little finger on the guitar, walk 3-4 miles at least 4 days a week, and can drive 8 hours with no pain.

Note: I'm not a doctor and am not giving medical advice. Check with your doc before doing anything (legal disclaimer)

The diet:

For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar:

Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action.

Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:

* Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats) lean is good
    * Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Egg yolks (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Poultry - chicken, duck, turkey (very high in arachidonic acid)
    * Pasta (high glycemic index)
    * Juices (high glycemic index)
    * Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
    * White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye)
    * Nightshade Plants bother many but not all people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)

Glycemic index charts can be found on the Internet.

Better choices are foods with a low glycemic index and foods that are heavy in monounsaturated fats. Some specific good foods are:

* Salmon and other fish
    * Oatmeal
    * Low glycemic fresh fruits and vegetables
    * Olives and olive oil
    * Peanuts and other nuts
    * Whey proteins
    * Lean beef is good, 100% grass fed is better

My mother-in-law had dietary restrictions so she couldn't do it. So I bought her a PEMFT device (Pulsed Electro-Magnetic Frequency Therapy). My brother-in-law did some financial work for a guy who makes these devices for medical professionals, and he helped me pick a small portable unit for use at home (he doesn't sell home units).

If interested PM me. Once someone buys this device, they can sell it and make a profit. I have no intention to make a profit, so if you decide you want one, you can get it from me, I'll send you my commission, which is close to $100. I already have 2 businesses, I don't need to sell these things, but I'll be happy to help my friends.

But take my advice, try the diet first, it's free.

Insights and incites by Notes

thank you !!!

9 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I have Osteoarthritis in both thumbs. Started about 8 years ago. It scared me initially because it was affecting my guitar playing. 

My way of playing has altered greatly because of this. The good part about it though is I didn't have to figure anything out. The pain just made me adapt my technique naturally.

The difference is grip. Bar chords are difficult and I now play fewer of them. Solos are easy. I now play almost without touching the back of the neck at all. Some minimal palm heel contact is happening though. Gripping the guitar body with the right arm helps to stabilise the neck playing this way.

I tried tumeric after discussing it with Digger. I used it for about a year, I honestly don't know if it did any good. If it did, I was not aware of it. Perhaps if I hadn't used it, the condition might be worse. 

I agree on the tumeric. I started it putting it in my foods, Then I found Tumeric Capsuls, I took 2 per day for a long time and never noticed a difference.  But then at the time I thought they would help the enlarged prostrate?  Nope. 

• Thanks 1

Bummer Karloff. Osteo arthrosis is an inflammatory process when it flares up. Agree with Notes Low glycemic diets or ketogenic are often anti inflammatory and are beneficial on so many levels. For drugs the best are over the counter Aleve and Motrin in my experience. Eat something with them and check it out with your doctor before beginning any regimen(preexisting kidney disease, etc). Also turmeric is anti inflammatory and I think it helps. Finally glucosamine (not just for dogs :-)

Good luck. At the beginning of Covid I went keto, lost a bunch of weight and have less aches and pains. Not gone but better.

Fellows,

I’m not a medical doctor, but I play one on TV.  You all have the right idea. 
Take your meds, be sure to add extra vitamin C, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

The most painful arthritis is almost always caused by a failure to drink enough fluids before symptoms develop.
Be sure to drink plenty of BEER before and especially after your meals.

The rule of thumb is 6-8 pints of beer a day, increase that by 2 extra liters during the winter months.
You tend to dehydrate more when it is cold outside, (and the dry indoor heat is constantly on) and that fluid must be replaced.

A sure way to tell if you are taking-in enough beer is to check the color of your urine.
The memory tool I tell my patients is, “ Pee dark yellow, you’re a thirsty fellow. Not too clear, drink more Beer.” 

Apply these fundamentals, and you’ll be scampering around pain-free like a teenage gazelle in no time.

Dr. John, MDoQO

(Medical Doctor of Questionable Origin)

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. 

😟

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Fellows,

I’m not a medical doctor, but I play one on TV.  You all have the right idea. 
Take your meds, be sure to add extra vitamin C, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

The most painful arthritis is almost always caused by a failure to drink enough fluids before symptoms develop.
Be sure to drink plenty of BEER before and especially after your meals.

The rule of thumb is 6-8 pints of beer a day, increase that by 2 extra liters during the winter months.
You tend to dehydrate more when it is cold outside, (and the dry indoor heat is constantly on) and that fluid must be replaced.

A sure way to tell if you are taking-in enough beer is to check the color of your urine.
The memory tool I tell my patients is, “ Pee dark yellow, you’re a thirsty fellow. Not too clear, drink more Beer.” 

Apply these fundamentals, and you’ll be scampering around pain-free like a teenage gazelle in no time.

Dr. John, MDoQO

(Medical Doctor of Questionable Origin)

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. 

😟

My doctor is always telling me to moderate my drinking. I dont know why. Its never been any trouble at all.

She also asks how many units of alcohol I drink a week. I always reply 7; one per day. This is good apparently. I was told to keep it up. TBH its getting difficult. My fridge unit can hold one he11 of a lot of beer.

Edited by merciful-evans
  • Thanks 2

All kidding aside, beer has proven to be a very effective pain-reliever for me over lo all these many years. 

The trick is finding the right amount of beer that helps to kill the pain, but which doesn't leave you feeling like five miles of bad road the next morning. 

I'm a man of science, so I'm still experimenting. 
😑

• Like 1

I told my doctor last month I have a shot and 2 beers every day. He said to cut it down. So, I'm buying 16 oz. bottles now instead of the quarts.

• Like 3