Gibson Brands Forums
Mike. B

advanced jumbo limited

Just bought a 2018 advanced Jumbo limited. For the life of me, I cannot seem to figure out what made the "Limited" different than the standard re-issue. Not even a call to Gibson customer service helped. All I know is that 35 guitars were made for this limited run. Nothing about wood, construction, cosmetics. Love the guitar! Just seems kinda silly to call something a limited edition if in fact its identical to the standard model. Anybody know any different? would love some real info.

1 hour ago, Mike. B said:

Just bought a 2018 advanced Jumbo limited. For the life of me, I cannot seem to figure out what made the "Limited" different than the standard re-issue. Not even a call to Gibson customer service helped. All I know is that 35 guitars were made for this limited run. Nothing about wood, construction, cosmetics. Love the guitar! Just seems kinda silly to call something a limited edition if in fact its identical to the standard model. Anybody know any different? would love some real info.

Welcome, and congrats! There are experts here would probably fill you in if you posted some pics for them to see. They've forgotten more since lunch than I'll ever know.

Do you have a couple pictures?   Limited could really mean anything.   Type of Rosewood? Like mystic, or .   Color? Could be anything. 

If I'm not mistaken, the AJ was not in the standard line-up for quite a few years. Instead, it was produced now and then in smaller batches, hence limited. Now it's a regular model.

Lars

There were a coupla limited AJs in 2018:

Torrefied Red Spruce/Mystic Rosewood

Maple back & sides

Red Spruce top - of which Gibson has done limited runs frequently in the last few years. I’ve got one from 2013 - the label is marked “AJ Red Spruce” and “Custom Shop”. It also has a  Custom Shop decal on the bottom back side of the headstock.

Here’s a spec list for a pretty standard Limited AJ except for the neck profile -

GIBSON 2018 LIMITED ADVANCED JUMBO SPEC:

• Top: Solid Sitka Spruce
  • Back & Sides: Solid Rosewood
  • Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
  • Neck: Mahogany
  • Neck Profile: 'V'
  • Scale Length: 25.5"
  • Fingerboard: Rosewood
  • Fingerboard Radius: 12"
  • Number of Frets: 19
  • Frets: Standard
  • Nut: Bone
  • Nut Width: 1.725"
  • Inlays: Mother-of-Pearl Diamonds and Arrows
  • Truss Rod Cover: Limited
  • Hardware Finish: Nickel
  • Bridge: Rectangle Open Slot Bone
  • Tuning Machines: Grover Open Back
  • Pickguard: AJ

Edited by BigKahune

I think the 2018 was called the Limited

1935 Advanced Jumbo Reissue. I think the Sunburst was more like the burst on the 2020 1934 Jumbo. Is the dark stain on the top more full than the usual AJ reissue? The 1935 AJ had a small light brown 

area around the bridge and soundhole, again, like the new 1934 Jumbo

Edited by ajay
speceficity

Unfortunately, the majority of us will never get closer to a 1930s AJ than the pages of some vintage guitar magazine.  If I recall, I think it was Gary Burnette though who noted that every one he had seen had the same plane marks on the bracing indicating that one hand had voiced them all.  But the  only 1930s Gibsons I have been able to spend time with are the non-scalloped braced guitars such as the J35,  Smecks (from 1935 on), and the L series.  

A couple years ago I was at Lowe’s Vintage in Burlington, NC. Just window shopping. I happened to notice a guitar on a stand behind the counter and immediately knew what it was.  But I asked the sales guy if it was an original AJ and he replied “yeah you want to play it?” So I said yes and sat down with it.  Before I could strum it he told me it was 30k I believe.  He said it had unfortunately been refinished or it would have been closer to 50k.  I was so nervous holding that guitar I could barely make a cord!  Some time later I looked on their web site and it was not there.  So I am assuming somebody forked over the 30k.  It was impressive with a big clear sound that was warmer than I would expect from a rosewood guitar.

On 12/18/2020 at 2:59 AM, ajay said:

I think the 2018 was called the Limited

1935 Advanced Jumbo Reissue. I think the Sunburst was more like the burst on the 2020 1934 Jumbo. Is the dark stain on the top more full than the usual AJ reissue? The 1935 AJ had a small light brown 

area around the bridge and soundhole, again, like the new 1934 Jumbo

The 1935 Limited Advanced Jumbo Reissue was done in 2013. It was limited to 35 guitars. Gibson did a 1:1 copy of Gary Burnette's original prototype AJ. Gary always call's it a 1935, I believe this one was more a 1934 due to the "small" sunburst pattern which was typical pre 1935.  Gibson went to Gary's house to get the exact measurements again, also for the 1934 Original Jumbo released as a ltd edition in the same year. 

The 1935 reissue AJ is an all hide glue construction, Indian RW back and sides and a AAA red spruce top. The nut width is the vintage correct 1.725". The back of the neck had also the sunburst pattern as on the original ones. No Custom Shop decal on back of the headstock and no paper sticker inside the guitar. The serial numbers start with 1935...... and they came with a really nice red line case same as the earlier Legend series guitars. 

I bought mine new in 2013 from My Favorite Guitars, I love that guitar and will never part with it. I think this is the closest reissue  to the real thing Gibson did so far. I played a two 1936 AJ's and I am still very happy with my reissue after playing these two.

This is mine:

ZfrzINA.jpg

Edited by J45fan

2 hours ago, J45fan said:

The 1935 Limited Advanced Jumbo Reissue was done in 2013. It was limited to 35 guitars. Gibson did a 1:1 copy of Gary Burnette's original prototype AJ. Gary always call's it a 1935, I believe this one was more a 1934 due to the "small" sunburst pattern which was typical pre 1935.  Gibson went to Gary's house to get the exact measurements again, also for the 1934 Original Jumbo released as a ltd edition in the same year. 

The 1935 reissue AJ is an all hide glue construction, Indian RW back and sides and a AAA red spruce top. The nut width is the vintage correct 1.725". The back of the neck had also the sunburst pattern as on the original ones. No Custom Shop decal on back of the headstock and no paper sticker inside the guitar. The serial numbers start with 1935...... and they came with a really nice red line case same as the earlier Legend series guitars. 

I bought mine new in 2013 from My Favorite Guitars, I love that guitar and will never part with it. I think this is the closest reissue  to the real thing Gibson did so far. I played a two 1936 AJ's and I am still very happy with my reissue after playing these two.

This is mine:

ZfrzINA.jpg

That's a gorgeous guitar. I love everything about it.

3 hours ago, j45nick said:

That's a gorgeous guitar. I love everything about it.

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

j45Fan -   Quintessential ! 

Thanks!

This guitar really shows that Gibson Montana can build great sounding and looking instruments. BTW, my 2013 Original Jumbo ltd edition is in the same league.

22B2B582-534A-4F9E-AE83-C0038E3CCA44.jpeg.a8709bc0cbde760c3dc677f2e82aaadf.jpeg

heres is the back of one of my AJs   This is the only picture I can post. For some reason the others are to big for the file.  This is a Madagascar version.  I would show the rest of the herd if I could get these pictures to upload.  

29 minutes ago, slimt said:

22B2B582-534A-4F9E-AE83-C0038E3CCA44.jpeg.a8709bc0cbde760c3dc677f2e82aaadf.jpeg

heres is the back of one of my AJs   This is the only picture I can post. For some reason the others are to big for the file.  This is a Madagascar version.  I would show the rest of the herd if I could get these pictures to upload.  

Use Imugr and you can post as many as you want.

26 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Use Imugr and you can post as many as you want.

True, but spieling matters- imgur.com will work better. And once you've uploaded there, clicking on the blue "BBCode" button that is accessed by clicking on one of the pics from your gallery, the link gets embedded onto your computer's clipboard, and you can paste  and embed that photo into your post here.

WCsxaqi.png

Edited by 62burst

18 minutes ago, 62burst said:

True, but spieling matters- imgur.com will work better. And once you've uploaded there, clicking on the blue "BBCode" button that is accessed by clicking on one of the pics from your gallery, the link gets embedded onto your computer's clipboard, and you can paste  and embed that photo into your post here.

WCsxaqi.png

Fuk you guys want me to spell correctly too.

33 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

you guys want me to spell correctly too.

Nahh. . . let's keep work at work. But now my eyes are burning.

😬.

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Fuk you guys want me to spell correctly too.

You forgot to preface that with your standard disclaimer,  “ I know some here think I’m an axe hold, BUT...”. 

6 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

You forgot to preface that with your standard disclaimer,  “ I know some here think I’m an axe hold, BUT...”. 

I prefer the term fuk-tard, but that works too.  Don't you have Covid  doom and gloom or political praise for The Supreme Leader Dump or your girl who wears the huge pleasure beads around her neck who Speaks In A House to post?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper