Gibson Brands Forums

Jason Isbell and Amanda tell county music to stick it

Sgt. Pepper

I respect what he did and have seen Jason about 10 times. I have tix to see him next year, but he's a few sentences away from becoming Roger Waters. I may not even go to the show, as his newest album is a piece of poo. My wife loves it but she is also a Garth fan, go figure.

https://pitchfork.com/news/jason-isbell-and-amanda-shires-exit-country-music-association-after-2020-cmas-didnt-honor-john-prine/

Musicians have the right to voiced their opinions just like us, but what I can't stand is when I buy a ticket to to a rock concert and it ends up being a political rally.

I don't mind musicians talking S-HIT about the music biz, but if you want to be a politician put down your instrument and run for office. Then you can and should run your mouth at will.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

I think he did it for the right reasons,  CM has lost its grit,  the new stuff has rap in it for the love of God! 

What would Bob Wills say?

Country Music had been a joke since the 90's. All most Country is nowadays is Pop music, and the singer puts a little twang in their voice and sings about stuff like my tractor is sexy, and get your cute little booty up in the front seat of my truck, and of course about s-hitty American made Burp-weiser beer.

And now we have gay African American Country artist who dresses like he's going to a Drag Queen convention and teams up with older washed up Achey-Breakey Country artists.

Ridiculous.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

Your first paragraph in your last post pretty much summed up the whole thing perfectly Joel. 

Regarding being black or gay in country that’s some real thin ice. Charley Pride is the first example I’d think of regarding a legit African American country musician. 

Although nobody wants you to come out and say I chug **** like nobody’s business, there is a lot of homoeroticism in country and cowboy culture just like there is in hard rock etc 

First he is African American (cause he is) and gay (cause he openly admits it). I have no issues with that. He needs to dress like a fruit loop to get attention and say look at me. He tries to look fabulous, but his music is an absolute joke like 98 percent of the other so called country music out there.

Him and Billy Ray Bob Miley Cyrus are the reason we have Covid. They with their terrible song and lame dancing did this to us.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

I get what you’re saying and yes the music is crap. Just the way you worded it is dangerous because it could imply that black and gay people can’t belong in country music. Of course I know that’s not what you’re saying but you know how people will read your statement these days

I guess I’m also vaguely making a point that there’s a whole lot of gay bubbling under the surface there for a long time 

Never said he does not belong. He belongs in Country Music. Oh he belongs and Country Music can have him and celebrate his uniqueness. It just inforces how big of a joke that music has become. Elton dressed up (like Donald Duck for a concert) and was gay, but made great music, for a while, till the Coc started handling him instead of him handling the Coc.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I have no idea who Jason Isbell and Amanda are, but I will say this much;

People often confuse the term, "country music" with the entity "the Country Music Association". 
They are not one and the same. 

Just as many out there confuse "rock and roll" with "the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame". 

The suits who would presume to tell us what is good and what is country music aren't allowed to speak for the country music fans and thousands of performing artists. 
Popularity with clueless business dorks and nonsensical trending in TMZ polls does not equal goodness and quality. 

I could go on an on with relevant comparisons and analogies. 
But it would mean naming names, describing power/money-hungry political Parties, and crooks at all levels and strata in our society and popular culture doing damage to the integrity of otherwise good music markets, film-making, and assorted media.

And that is out of bounds for this good and steady guitar web forum. 

Jason, Amanda?  Ronnie, Bobby, Mickey, and Mike?
Just make good music and stay true to your principles. 
And sing your own stuff. Leave the computer-lilted Vocoder out of the mix. 

The rest will work itself out. 

😐

preview_Electric_Guitar_Fretboard.jpg

This isn't the first time an artist critized the suits that run country music, Jason Isbell isn't a country music star by any means,  but he does a lot of recording in Nashville,  his membership was a surprise to him in the first place.

Waylon Jennings,  Willie Nelson, and a few other "outlaws " said the same thing when they moved to Texas nd and started the music scene there.

12 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

This isn't the first time an artist critized the suits that run country music, Jason Isbell isn't a country music star by any means,  but he does a lot of recording in Nashville,  his membership was a surprise to him in the first place.

Waylon Jennings,  Willie Nelson, and a few other "outlaws " said the same thing when they moved to Texas nd and started the music scene there.

Yes I read more about it. He was given the Lifetime Membership due to being nominated for this album Nashville Sound a few years back.  Yes in my eyes Jason is a rocker that has a bit of a country-ish vibe to it.

And like I've said,  I really like Jason's music and have followed him since he was in DBT and then on his own, but  his last album was a POS.

I've been to 8 total country music concerts in my life - Willie three times, Dwight Yoakam twice, George Straight once (Blake Shelton opened - he was awful), Pat Green once (someone had an extra free ticket) and Chris Stapleton with Marty Stuart opening (Marty should have been the headliner).

Once again it needs to be said. There is only 2 kinds of music. Music I like and music I don't. Call it Rock, Jazz, Classical, Pop, ect. That is all it comes down too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

18 hours ago, jvi said:

because you dont like something dosnt mean its crap.   ps to Sarge   quite being such a nasty fuk

Well then you can listen to those two no talent a-ss clowns. Cause i'm not. 

I guess you can be the social justice warrior for crappy music. You are promoted to General of Sub-par Pop.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

One nice thing about music is you don't have to like it, but there will always be a following for any style that is presented.

I know people actually claim to like Taylor Swift and no one is even holding a gun to their head forcing them to listen to it.

I was country when country wasn't cool. 

Literally,  I grew up with country music,  my dad played honky tonks honky tonks before I was born. Sang us kids to sleep playing guitar and sing Autry or Williams., Hank Snow or T E Ford.  

When I started playing I wanted to play rock, but I was really into country rock , but I also p,eyed in country bands to get some cash,   

I had no appreciation for country at all until the 70's Jerry Garcia's pedal steel thing began / Grateful Dead / New Riders of the Purple Sage. I probably would have done had I heard Jimmy Bryant back then. He seemed to lean into the Western side more though.

The 'Western' part is under-represented, misunderstood or unrecognised. Albert Lee steered me towards that, but these are all guitar players...

I've always been aware that most Country Stars are of the glitzy showbiz smiley pop variety. Many of them are good despite that too IMO. But you can say the same about any genre really.

I've never heard of Jason Isbell, but I'm more musically insular these days. Sarge is listening to lots of stuff and more importantly going to concerts all the time. That's important & long may it continue. The positive thing to take away from this thread is that Joel has some passion for music and cares something about it.

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I had no appreciation for country at all until the 70's Jerry Garcia's pedal steel thing began / Grateful Dead / New Riders of the Purple Sage. I probably would have done had I heard Jimmy Bryant back then. He seemed to lean into the Western side more though.

The 'Western' part is under-represented, misunderstood or unrecognised. Albert Lee steered me towards that, but these are all guitar players...

I've always been aware that most Country Stars are of the glitzy showbiz smiley pop variety. Many of them are good despite that too IMO. But you can say the same about any genre really.

I've never heard of Jason Isbell, but I'm more musically insular these days. Sarge is listening to lots of stuff and more importantly going to concerts all the time. That's important & long may it continue. The positive thing to take away from this thread is that Joel has some passion for music and cares something about it.

If your gonna try out Jason. Listen (stream, You Tube ect) to his album - Southeastern. Its in my opinion is his best. He is a good singer, great songwriter, he plays great player and plays slide too.

I love music. I am not afraid to say who I listen to and take flack for it, but Ms. Swift to me is just a nice piece of eye candy who somehow happens to have a career in what is currently called country music. I can't name one and I mean one of her songs.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

...but Ms. Swift to me is just a nice piece of eye candy who somehow happens to have a career in what is currently called country music... 

Because her parents took out three mortgages on theirs and one of their siblings houses.  Because they literally stopped everything in their lives and physically moved to Nashville.  Because they spent three years shoving this kid down the throats of as many people as they could.  Because she managed to crowbar a writing credit onto almost everything.  And because country is just like everything else, it is all pop music and always was.

To me it is alarming to see an assembled group of "musicians" who seem to not know how it works.  But then, if they actually recognize how it works, they have to acknowledge that all the people they think are so "talented" really are just lucky enough to have been in the right place at the right time.

Just like Taylor.  Or the Bieb.   Or anyone else anyone would care to hate.  It's all the same.

rct

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Well then you can listen to those two no talent a-ss clowns. Cause i'm not. 

I guess you can be the social justice warrior for crappy music. You are promoted to General of Sub-par Pop.

general is higher rank than sgt , You are demoted to crap talking private. go clean out a latrine and your mouth 

6 minutes ago, jvi said:

general is higher rank than sgt , You are demoted to crap talking private. go clean out a latrine and your mouth 

Actually I'm a retired Senior Chief and once a Chief always a Chief. And a smart officer listens to the advice of THE CHIEF, and your just a field grunt clown private who comes here to stir the pot and I make sure you have fodder for your Canadian BS.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Actually I'm a retired Senior Chief and once a Chief always a Chief. And a smart officer listens to the advice of THE CHIEF, and your just a field grunt clown private who comes here to stir the pot and I make sure you have fodder for your Canadian BS.

thanks for the capitals....who stirs the pot with trash talk ?  you chief clown.