Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

New SACD Day (Todd Rundgren)


Sgt. Pepper
 Share

Recommended Posts

I saw Todds one man show the first time he toured before Utopia was ready to tour with him. It was a good show, but the band behind him would have been more fun. So like he said at the end of Wizard " another year and Utopia will be here".....

Edited by mihcmac
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I saw Todds one man show the first time he toured before Utopia was ready to tour with him. I was a good show, but the band behind him would have been more fun. So like he said at the end of Wizard " another year and Utopia will be here".....

I've been listening to alot of Todd Rundgren lately. He can make such good music and also make you go who told you that was anywhere near good.

Utopia is hit and miss with me. Opps is the best Utopia album.

I got Wizard on SACD last week.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've been listening to alot of Todd Rundgren lately. He can make such good music and also make you go who told you that was anywhere near good.

Utopia is hit and miss with me. Opps is the best Utopia album.

I got Wizard on SACD last week.

Was talking about the band Utopia, not the album. Something Anything and Wizard were my favorites, the band Utopia was assembled to perform.

 

Edited by mihcmac
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Was talking about the band Utopia, not the album. Something Anything and Wizard were my favorites, the band Utopia was assembled to perform.

Yeah I know. I got 90 percent of Todd and Utopia's stuff. Todd only sings and plays guitar when it's Utopia.

Mink and Todd's first two before S/A? are really good too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My favorite Todd Rundgren album (below), and it's something I put on the turntable about twice a year. 

A Cappella.

Every single sound and note is Todd's voice. 
(Mostly fed into a sampling keyboard, and played from there.)

Good stuff. 
🙂

081227576165.jpg?itok=NeRtSOtK

Now that I think of it, the below listed are the only three Todd Rundgren albums I own.

R-4639952-1532679510-1450.jpeg.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NEARLY HUMAN is my all time fav Todd album and Parallel Lines one of his best songs ever.

Saw him a few years ago when he toured with a DJ and 2 female backup singers / dancers. Every song was done in dance techno style. Now i'm a huge Todd fan but it's the only show I ever walked out on and I had front row seats. Awful.

Edited by cookieman15061
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, sparquelito said:

My favorite Todd Rundgren album (below), and it's something I put on the turntable about twice a year. 

A Cappella.

Every single sound and note is Todd's voice. 
(Mostly fed into a sampling keyboard, and played from there.)

Good stuff. 
🙂

 

 

There's a very interesting album by female singer Petra Haden where she sing's the entire 'Sell Out' album by The Who using only her voice - here's 'I Can See For Miles'.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:


Her voice, and the orchestration, isn't as pleasing as Todd Rundgren's, this much is true. 

But I like that she tried. 

😌

Just think not just one song, she did a the whole "The Who Sell Out" album.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Just think not just one song, she did a the whole "The Who Sell Out" album.


I'm not one to comment on that point, good sir. 
I know that it must feel like a great big, giant blasphemy. 
For her to do that to a sacred The Who album. 
I get it. 

But I must admit this much. 
The Who were a band who went right by me back in the day. 
I was aware of them, of course. 
I can name some The Who songs, and I can recount some notorious Keith Moon road war stories that I read about over the years. 

But I never owned any of The Who records, and I certainly never heard of (or listened to) The Who Sell Out. 

Here, I'll type out a complete list of such bands and artists that I never really listened to or ever learned to appreciate;

The Who
The Doors
The Grateful Dead
The Band
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin
Jethro Tull
The Yardbirds

I heard of Quadrophenia at one point. 
But never listened to it. 
Wrong place, wrong time, I guess. 

Same with Tommy. 
Heard of it. 
Never listened to it. 
Went right by me. 

Here,  I'll add to the list. 
Utopia. 
Heard of them.
Never once in my life listened to them. 

I discovered Todd Rundgren years later when he produced an album for Grand Funk Railroad. 
And many years later I fell in love with A Cappella. 
And really enjoyed 2nd Wind and Nearly Human. 

In the end, does it matter?

Many people loved Paul McCartney and Wings, but never really got into The Beatles. 

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. 

😐

 

Edited by sparquelito
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Changing the subject slightly - when SACD's first appeared on the scene you naturally needed a SACD player with 6 separate channel outputs ( 2x front, 2x rear, 1x center and 1x sub ) and and amplifier with matching 6 channel inputs - I did all that but was put out when I bought my 1st Blu-Ray player and it did away with all that 6 channel stuff and plays SACD's  through a simple, single HDMI connection!

Referring now to the post above - my very 1st SACD album is the 'Tommy' Super Deluxe Edition remaster in 5.1  by Pete Townshend himself.

 

p.s. I loved Paul McCartney with the Beatles but hate  everything Wings ever did. I liked Todd's album 'Hermit of Mink Hollow' so can we still be friends?

 

Edited by Brucebubs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, sparquelito said:


I'm not one to comment on that point, good sir. 
I know that it must feel like a great big, giant blasphemy. 
For her to do that to a sacred The Who album. 
I get it. 

But I must admit this much. 
The Who were a band who went right by me back in the day. 
I was aware of them, of course. 
I can name some The Who songs, and I can recount some notorious Keith Moon road war stories that I read about over the years. 

But I never owned any of The Who records, and I certainly never heard of (or listened to) The Who Sell Out. 

Here, I'll type out a complete list of such bands and artists that I never really listened to or ever learned to appreciate;

The Who
The Doors
The Grateful Dead
The Band
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin
Jethro Tull
The Yardbirds

I heard of Quadrophenia at one point. 
But never listened to it. 
Wrong place, wrong time, I guess. 

Same with Tommy. 
Heard of it. 
Never listened to it. 
Went right by me. 

Here,  I'll add to the list. 
Utopia. 
Heard of them.
Never once in my life listened to them. 

I discovered Todd Rundgren years later when he produced an album for Grand Funk Railroad. 
And many years later I fell in love with A Cappella. 
And really enjoyed 2nd Wind and Nearly Human. 

In the end, does it matter?

Many people loved Paul McCartney and Wings, but never really got into The Beatles. 

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. 

😐

 

It has nothing to do with being blasphemy. Its just hard to take. And even 22 seconds as pushing it.

The Who - Love The Who, but after By Numbers they went down hill. Who Are You is okay.
The Doors - I can't only take a handfull of Doors songs.
The Grateful Dead - Love The Dead, seen them 14 times. I do hate 25 minute guitar solos that go nowhere.
The Band - Talented guys after Big Pink and the self titled one you don't need any more. The Last Waltz was great.
Jimi Hendrix - He's the greatest guitar player ever and will always be. Lets get serious. His is/was a great player, but only put out 3 them 3 studio albums in his lifetime. Since his death, he has put out 40 albums.
Janis Joplin - I never cared for Janis. Pearl is okay.
Jethro Tull - The flute can be a bit much at times. I only listen to about 4 of their albums. Of course one of them is Aqualung.
The Yardbirds - I like some of their stuff, but many do the white boy blues thing much better even with the great guitarist that have been in that band.

 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It has nothing to do with being blasphemy. Its just hard to take. And even 22 seconds as pushing it.

 


As only mildly-familiar as I am with the original song, I must admit the timbre of her voice became grating after one chorus and one verse. 
It's a bit sterile, and saccharine, compared to Pete and Roger's original. 

After another listen, I can only imagine that her version would work well in a stream of Muzak, emanating from the overhead speakers during a long elevator ride. 

😑

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...