Gibson Brands Forums
sodawillow

1961 Gibson GA-8T Discoverer missing fuse

Hello,

I'd like to add the missing part in this amp, but I'm not sure what is missing precisely (fuse only or fuse and holder) and where I could buy it?

Thanks in advance if anyone can guide me!

125372325_663839197621664_4086791309296924451_n.jpg

The fuse and the cap which holds it.

You will have  to buy a new fuse holder which will include the cap (the fuse sits in the cap).  Desolder/remove the old one and measure it (length and diameter), also note the length of the wiring soldered to it and the diameter of the hole in the chassis plate.  I'd be tempted to clean it up a bit!  Keep the old retaining washer and fuse holder.

A new fuse holder is very cheap but I doubt if you would be able to exactly match it to the old one.  Ideally you need to know the value and size/length of the fuse which fits in there first, too.  Err on the long side (this will only be 1 or 2 mm).

I googled for images - you can just about see what the cap looks like -

https://www.google.com/search?q=fuse+for+gibson+ga-8t+discoverer+&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjalsL5y4rtAhVClBoKHX06DG0Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=fuse+for+gibson+ga-8t+discoverer+&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1DN0QJYnIQDYJCMA2gAcAB4AIABUIgBjgWSAQIxMJgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=EUq0X5rKGsKoav30sOgG&bih=1086&biw=1920&client=firefox-b-d#imgrc=GpZz6U70vCearM

As to the fuse itself, check amp schematic thoroughly.  Fuse value shouldn't be any problem.

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=gibson+ga-8t+discoverer+schematic&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjQgq_2yYrtAhXWMMAKHS2fA1UQjJkEegQIDxAB&biw=1920&bih=1086#imgrc=_btJjDbT29hYPM

Good luck!

Edited by jdgm

Hello and first, thank you very much, I kinda was thinking the remaining part would need to be removed. Anyway your message is very helpful to me. I was about to ask about where I could find the schematics but it was just one click away in your messagen, thanks again.

Desolder/remove the old one and measure it

A part being missing, would the measurement still be meaningful?

I was advised by a good friend to use a 1A 6x32 fuse and this kind of holder [image].

Please tell me what to think. I don't have good soldering capacities, but I have friends who are more capable : ).

Have a good night or day (live from Paris, France).

Cheers

You only need to measure the old one in order to ensure the new one is (approximately) the same size.

I think the fuse is a 1 amp from what I can see of the schematics online (lower right next to on/off) but I'm no expert - and you need to be very sure about it!

My experience is that I had to replace the fuse holder in my Fender Twin II.  They just get very hot, bake and get brittle and crumble over time. I bought a generic fuse holder which was a tiny bit shorter than the original, and found the wires that needed to be soldered to it were now too short to reach it!  I managed it in the end but that sort of thing can ruin your day.

Edited by jdgm