Gibson Brands Forums

What ever happened to...

olie

2 minutes ago, j45nick said:

I trust you realize there have only been 27 amendments to the US Constitution. The amendment you are referencing is actually the first amendment, guaranteeing such things as freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, and freedom of religion.

Some of us actually read and respect the Constitution. Maybe you should, too.

I know I just picked random number. I've read a lot of it. Not all of it and not a lot of it since high school.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I know I just picked random number. I've read a lot of it. Not all of it and not a lot of it since high school.

It's not that long, and it doesn't take that long to read: only 27 pages in my un-annotated pocket version.

On 11/17/2020 at 8:18 AM, EuroAussie said:

is BBG still around ..??

Nah... both he a Murph haven't been around for a while. . . So it's safe to wax poetic about the Hummingbird nectar without fear of being called nektar sniffer.

10 hours ago, EuroAussie said:

What about the blind boy ... is he still blind, and a boy locked down with his Irish whiskey and a J-45 ?

ps: i miss theĀ grumpy ones, like big nose JerryK.

too bad Jerry picked up his ball and jacks and went to play elsewhere. The guy could play, and his posts were informative- between he and our DaveF, these two could get fairly close to assembling a Gibson spec wizard like the one being sought on the forum recently. Here areĀ someĀ old posts from Jerry:Ā 

Ā 

Edited by 62burst

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Wait you have a pocket version you carry around?

I don't carry it around all the time. It sits on my desk. Pocket versions of the Constitution are quite common, and readily available free from a number of politically-oriented organizations on both sides of the political spectrum. It's the size of a small pocket calculator or notebook. Twenty seven pages of easily-readable prose.

Mine happened to come from the ACLU, but the Federalist Society also publishes oneĀ in case you don't want to be tainted by association withĀ a liberal organization.

I don't care who it cameĀ from, but I do care about the words.

27 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I served my country and swore to defend it against all enemy's foreign and domestic.

Pepper - did you play then and how often did it happen back in the days of your service.Ā Bet the other fellows liked some acoustic atmosphere. I imagine some had harps too.Ā 

Imho, this guitar forum has always suffered from a lack of having moderators who are active on an ongoing basis, and at the same time consistent. Ā What good is a rule that says ā€œno political discussionsā€ if such discussions can take hold & go three or more pages before anything possibly happens? Ā This was the case with Murphā€™s Covid thread in the Lounge, for which he was the OP. Ā It turned into a political shite-show, and I finally contacted a moderator about it. Ā Whether or not you agree with Murphā€™s politics (which I do not), he rather frequently interjected his political opinions into conversations on this board. Ā The forum guideline is there, and it would be helpfulĀ if it were meaningfullyĀ applied.

The same goes forĀ rude & combative behavior, ofĀ which Jerry K was a purveyor,Ā quite often in a tag-team with Hogeye. Ā I had a few major go-rounds with these two (as did many others) back in the day, and my bottom line questionĀ was this: Ā Why in the world canā€™t you share your knowledge and remain civil?

The only two other forums where I participate (guitar forums), are closely moderated and very well run inĀ comparison to this forum. Ā They are large in participant numbers, enthusiasm, Ā and good will. Ā I continue to participate on this forumĀ because Iā€™mĀ very fond of Gibson guitars, know a fair amount about them, enjoy sharing information, and still like to gain new tidbits of knowledge. Ā Clearly, there will always beĀ folks who feel the need to beĀ combative & snarky - but theyā€™llĀ only gain relevance on here if moderators allow them to -Ā and to the extent that they do, I believe it detracts from the forumā€™s participation and growth.

I started playing guitar at the age of twentyĀ & quickly got interested in qualityĀ construction details, the history of the instrument, and techniques. Ā Next JuneĀ Iā€™ll turn seventy,Ā and guitars for me remain a highly positive diversion from ā€œreal life.ā€ Ā I look for the same thing in a guitar forum.

Ā 

7 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Would that have included the ACLU ?

That is a lawyers job.

Ā 

6 hours ago, bobouz said:

Imho, this guitar forum has always suffered from a lack of having moderators who are active on an ongoing basis, and at the same time consistent. Ā What good is a rule that says ā€œno political discussionsā€ if such discussions can take hold & go three or more pages before anything possibly happens? Ā This was the case with Murphā€™s Covid thread in the Lounge, for which he was the OP. Ā It turned into a political shite-show, and I finally contacted a moderator about it. Ā Whether or not you agree with Murphā€™s politics (which I do not), he rather frequently interjected his political opinions into conversations on this board. Ā The forum guideline is there, and it would be helpfulĀ if it were meaningfullyĀ applied.

The same goes forĀ rude & combative behavior, ofĀ which Jerry K was a purveyor,Ā quite often in a tag-team with Hogeye. Ā I had a few major go-rounds with these two (as did many others) back in the day, and my bottom line questionĀ was this: Ā Why in the world canā€™t you share your knowledge and remain civil?

The only two other forums where I participate (guitar forums), are closely moderated and very well run inĀ comparison to this forum. Ā They are large in participant numbers, enthusiasm, Ā and good will. Ā I continue to participate on this forumĀ because Iā€™mĀ very fond of Gibson guitars, know a fair amount about them, enjoy sharing information, and still like to gain new tidbits of knowledge. Ā Clearly, there will always beĀ folks who feel the need to beĀ combative & snarky - but theyā€™llĀ only gain relevance on here if moderators allow them to -Ā and to the extent that they do, I believe it detracts from the forumā€™s participation and growth.

I started playing guitar at the age of twentyĀ & quickly got interested in qualityĀ construction details, the history of the instrument, and techniques. Ā Next JuneĀ Iā€™ll turn seventy,Ā and guitars for me remain a highly positive diversion from ā€œreal life.ā€ Ā I look for the same thing in a guitar forum.

Ā 

I try to inject humor and what little knowledge I know to his place. For some reason a Canadian guy (and I have stated it before and will again) goes and seeks out my posts to dump on me. Well. I'm not just gonna get idly sit by and take abuse from him, Big Bill just observed it and called him out for it in the Lounge.Ā  I asked him to stop stalking me and do it to someone else, but no, he keeps to comment on every post I make.

8 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Pepper - did you play then and how often did it happen back in the days of your service.Ā Bet the other fellows liked some acoustic atmosphere. I imagine some had harps too.Ā 

I started playing at 16. Played till about 20 and gave up. Picked it up again in 2007 and been playing ever since. My first guitar was a Gibson (an '82 or so "The Paul"). When I was in the service, I drank and did dumb stuff. I was in my 20's when I joined.Ā  No harps were injured while jamming.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:. For some reason a Canadian guy (and I have stated it before and will again) goes and seeks out my posts to dump on me. Well. I'm not just gonna get idly sit by and take abuse from him, Big Bill just observed it and called him out for it in the Lounge.Ā  I asked him to stop stalking me and do it to someone else, but no, he keeps to comment on every post I make.

I use the block members in the profile settings to ignore abusive trolls. The only time I see their comments is when someone copies them with the quote button. A few years ago that list was growing. Itā€™s slowed down now and most on that list have disappeared or reincarnated themself.Ā 

Just now, Dave F said:

I use the block members in the profile settings to ignore abusive trolls. The only time I see their comments is when someone copies them with the quote button. A few years ago that list was growing. Itā€™s slowed down now and most on that list have disappeared or reincarnated themself.Ā 

I was probably on that list.

8 hours ago, bobouz said:

Ā  Next JuneĀ Iā€™ll turn seventy,Ā and guitars for me remain a highly positive diversion from ā€œreal life.ā€ Ā I look for the same thing in a guitar forum.

Point taken - still certain aspects and mechanismsĀ from 'outer reality' areĀ bound to be mirrored here. Politics however (and religion for that matter)Ā is an unhealthyĀ path.Ā 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Ā  No harps were injured while jamming.

I once participated in a WW2 reenactment in the Ardennes, Belgium. Found myself playing harp on theĀ  bed of a M3 halftrack while rumbling through the terrain.Ā  Oh!Ā Susanna.Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Both she, the Hohner and IĀ too made it back home unharmed.Ā Ā