Gibson Brands Forums

339 P90 upgrade...

mihcmac

This Epiphone 339 is a limited run with the new headstock, the previous version currently being sold has the more ornate headstock, coil tapping, Epiphone Deluxe keystone tuners and is also available with P90's. This one with the new headstock has Grover tuners, 2-wire HB's, full sized CTS pot and a C profile neck.

N6qxHso.jpg

Since P90's were not available yet on this new model I'm installing HB sized Mean 90's. Also note that the full sized pots were not too difficult to get out of the F holes, they seemed to have plenty of cable length which made it a lot easier for me to work on them..

SOw9s5H.jpg

The Epiphone USA Alnico Classic PRO Humbuckers actually do sound pretty good, but since I'm a P90 enthusiast, they don't get the right sound for me.. The Mean 90's installed  easily and I added a Les Trem II.

UcqGuWz.jpg

I like the  way it looks without a pickguard so I'm going to leave it off for a while. Also I have a roller bridge coming that I will instal in a few days.

• Like 3

That's nice too. My SUV went in to get fixed tonight, Dropped the key off in the box so they can get it in the garage tomorrow morning.  Then Deb wants me to get rid of it.  Air Conditioner, Battery and now the Alternator. Haha, It's 14 years old and been perfect till this year! I think the COVID 19 got to it? 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Retired said:

That's nice too. My SUV went in to get fixed tonight, Dropped the key off in the box so they can get it in the garage tomorrow morning.  Then Deb wants me to get rid of it.  Air Conditioner, Battery and now the Alternator. Haha, It's 14 years old and been perfect till this year! I think the COVID 19 got to it? 

If you want all the latest Tech, get a new SUV. But if you would prefer simpler raw muscle, keep rebuilding your current SUV..

The Roller Bridge for my 339 is supposed to be delivered today, so I will at least have something to work on while I am waiting for shipping updates on my other new guitar..

ICWw6oM.png

New Roller Bridge installed and intonated..

NXuGO2m.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mihcmac said:

If you want all the latest Tech, get a new SUV. But if you would prefer simpler raw muscle, keep rebuilding your current SUV..

The Roller Bridge for my 339 is supposed to be delivered today, so I will at least have something to work on while I am waiting for shipping updates on my other new guitar..

ICWw6oM.png

New Roller Bridge installed and intonated..

NXuGO2m.jpg

Now your'e thinking like me, & not my Wife, Lol.  My very first date with her was to the National Auto Show. Then to a steak house. We looked at all the show cars and ventured to the basement where I knew my Race Car was. There she saw my name painted on it and my name listed as the driver.  Wish I could post a photo here of of, But think like the 70's NHRA Pro Stock cars and then a 71 Dodge Colt Drag Car with parachutes and wheelie bars on the back and the 12 point roll cage and huge hood scoop covering up the tunnel  ram and 2 fours. 

Yep, Thats how I think.  I would strip that Saturn Vue down to just a gutted shell, and build it Street Pro Style and a 426 Hemi Blown engine in it and enter it in shows. Nah, Debbie never thinks like that.  Better go get a new car with full warranty on it  and maybe use it for pulling a camping trailer behind.  I tried to talk her out but No. OK, Guess we will try and go looking this week end.  I got the Vue back, Alternator just like I said.  Boy have they ever shot up in price since the last one I put on. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Retired said:

Forgot to mention.   I told her; "This is what I do! if you want to date me, get used to it!"  Yep; First went all my guitars, and then the Race Car!  And she said;   "This is me and this is what I do! Build A Bridge, And Get Over It." LOl

I think you need a Hummer.

I fell victim to a guitar from my past, it should be here in about a week.

ICWw6oM.png

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 11/22/2020 at 5:02 PM, Retired said:

I'll be excited to see it.

Retired, I haven't seen you in here for a while, but yes I got the 59 style Wilshire which has become my main goto guitar..

AovIPtC.jpg

But then recently the SG Classic creeped into my awareness, so I had to get one..

dr0VmU9.jpg?1

and.... I am happy to report I am loving the Mean 90 conversion on my Epi ES-339.

R6Uw6Jq.jpg

All is well, so well that I have trouble deciding what to play.. 🙂

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1