Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mihcmac

339 P90 upgrade...

Recommended Posts

This Epiphone 339 is a limited run with the new headstock, the previous version currently being sold has the more ornate headstock, coil tapping, Epiphone Deluxe keystone tuners and is also available with P90's. This one with the new headstock has Grover tuners, 2-wire HB's, full sized CTS pot and a C profile neck.

N6qxHso.jpg

Since P90's were not available yet on this new model I'm installing HB sized Mean 90's. Also note that the full sized pots were not too difficult to get out of the F holes, they seemed to have plenty of cable length which made it a lot easier for me to work on them..

SOw9s5H.jpg

The Epiphone USA Alnico Classic PRO Humbuckers actually do sound pretty good, but since I'm a P90 enthusiast, they don't get the right sound for me.. The Mean 90's installed  easily and I added a Les Trem II.

UcqGuWz.jpg

I like the  way it looks without a pickguard so I'm going to leave it off for a while. Also I have a roller bridge coming that I will instal in a few days.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks nice. I've had so many solid body guitars in my life, that I'm starting to cling to hollow & semi hollow guitars now.  That is beautiful. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work. I agree about the pickguard. 

Such a smart looking guitar too. The nearest thing I had was a Epi Casino Coupe which of course has the same shape and dog-ear P90s. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, I like the way it looks but I REALY LOVE the way it sounds.

I'm thinking of getting some nickel finished pickup frames to surround the black Mean 90's..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my Epi 339. great guitar I believe my buddy Ray Pelky described them best "they punch out of their weight division".

how do you like those P-90's ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mean 90's sound incredible on this guitar.. I have a few others with the same PU they all sound great, but slightly different, probably effected by the different type of wood.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Is there a name for "that"?

Dat a.  Nash Metropolitan.

1961-Nash-Metropolitan-630x390.jpg

I love playing my new 339, good weight, good balance, great sound and unbelievable sustain. 🙂 

Edited by mihcmac
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2020 at 5:33 PM, mihcmac said:

No Dis Nash..   Is that your car? I couldn't click below to write.  Anyway, Very nice. 

Mike-59-Nash.jpg?w=980&q=75

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Retired said:

Is that your car? I couldn't click below to write.  Anyway, Very nice. 

No just a fun play on words..

This is my car..

sYH1BLY.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's nice too. My SUV went in to get fixed tonight, Dropped the key off in the box so they can get it in the garage tomorrow morning.  Then Deb wants me to get rid of it.  Air Conditioner, Battery and now the Alternator. Haha, It's 14 years old and been perfect till this year! I think the COVID 19 got to it? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Retired said:

That's nice too. My SUV went in to get fixed tonight, Dropped the key off in the box so they can get it in the garage tomorrow morning.  Then Deb wants me to get rid of it.  Air Conditioner, Battery and now the Alternator. Haha, It's 14 years old and been perfect till this year! I think the COVID 19 got to it? 

If you want all the latest Tech, get a new SUV. But if you would prefer simpler raw muscle, keep rebuilding your current SUV..

The Roller Bridge for my 339 is supposed to be delivered today, so I will at least have something to work on while I am waiting for shipping updates on my other new guitar..

ICWw6oM.png

New Roller Bridge installed and intonated..

NXuGO2m.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mihcmac said:

If you want all the latest Tech, get a new SUV. But if you would prefer simpler raw muscle, keep rebuilding your current SUV..

The Roller Bridge for my 339 is supposed to be delivered today, so I will at least have something to work on while I am waiting for shipping updates on my other new guitar..

ICWw6oM.png

New Roller Bridge installed and intonated..

NXuGO2m.jpg

Now your'e thinking like me, & not my Wife, Lol.  My very first date with her was to the National Auto Show. Then to a steak house. We looked at all the show cars and ventured to the basement where I knew my Race Car was. There she saw my name painted on it and my name listed as the driver.  Wish I could post a photo here of of, But think like the 70's NHRA Pro Stock cars and then a 71 Dodge Colt Drag Car with parachutes and wheelie bars on the back and the 12 point roll cage and huge hood scoop covering up the tunnel  ram and 2 fours. 

Yep, Thats how I think.  I would strip that Saturn Vue down to just a gutted shell, and build it Street Pro Style and a 426 Hemi Blown engine in it and enter it in shows. Nah, Debbie never thinks like that.  Better go get a new car with full warranty on it  and maybe use it for pulling a camping trailer behind.  I tried to talk her out but No. OK, Guess we will try and go looking this week end.  I got the Vue back, Alternator just like I said.  Boy have they ever shot up in price since the last one I put on. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to mention.   I told her; "This is what I do! if you want to date me, get used to it!"  Yep; First went all my guitars, and then the Race Car!  And she said;   "This is me and this is what I do! Build A Bridge, And Get Over It." LOl

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Retired said:

Forgot to mention.   I told her; "This is what I do! if you want to date me, get used to it!"  Yep; First went all my guitars, and then the Race Car!  And she said;   "This is me and this is what I do! Build A Bridge, And Get Over It." LOl

I think you need a Hummer.

I fell victim to a guitar from my past, it should be here in about a week.

ICWw6oM.png

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I think you need a Hummer.

I fell victim to a guitar from my past, it should be here in about a week.

ICWw6oM.png

What did you order? Or is it a secret? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Retired said:

What did you order? Or is it a secret? 

Its an original Kalamazoo Epiphone design, waiting to see how well the Qingdao plant built it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Its an original Kalamazoo Epiphone design, waiting to see how well the Qingdao plant built it.

I'll be excited to see it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...