Gibson Brands Forums

RIP & Guitar Rig 3

Gibs0n Silverburst

The first time I started using the rip everything was fine, I followed the instructions exactly and was able to play with the built in effects within Guitar rig 3. My second time turning it on in two weeks and I have run into a slight problem, the rip and Dark Fire connect seamlessly and work great but when I open Guitar rig 3 to throw on some distortion I hear the distortion I selected coming out of the laptop speakers instead of the headphones with the guitar like I did the first time.

I have made sure not to hot stab anything, I updated the Rip and the Guitar again to see if that would solve the problem but still I can only play with the guitar like it is on a clean channel. Can anyone help me with this?

EDIT:

I also wanted to add that when I view the rip application on my laptop I can see it detects the guitar signal on the the channels so I don't believe it's a problem with the firewire, the rip also has been making a click where it will be a bright blue that pulses slowly rather than the dull blue when you strum the guitar. I don't recall it doing this as periodically as it has today when I used it previously.

GS, I finally had sum time last night to plug in the my RIP for the first time and get semi familiar with GR3. I had already loaded GR3, Ableton, and did my firmware upgrade about a month back.

The blue light on the RIP will pulse slowly when it detects a signal from the DF. If I remember correctly, it does go to a dim blue light after several seconds of not hearing a signal from DF. You can hear an audible click from the RIP when you strum the strings, so I think urs is working properly....like mine.

Not sure about you hearing the audio comin from ur laptop speakers, but I think you need to disable ur soundcard in the laptop when using the RIP. If I'm right, the RIP is a sound card and you should use the outputs of the RIP to feed studio monitors (powered). But, were you saying you only heard only the distortion from the laptop and only the clean guitar was comin thru ur headphones ? And were your headphones plugged into the RIP ?

I have yet to listen to my DF/RIP thru my studio monitors, as last night I only used headphones plugged into the RIP.

I'm sure sum others will chime in to help and please correct me if I'm wrong here guys........thanx ! O:)

While I wuz messin with the DF and RIP into my PC, I noticed this also:

If you create a setting in the "Console"....for example you have the mag pups panned to center and the piezo pup for each string panned from left to right for a full stero spectrum setting, save the setting and exit the console, the sound stay like that when you go into GR3 and use any presets there. Didn't realize this until I heard this last night.

So, am I correct here, whatever the initial setting is that you have in your console and that setting is saved, then the same initial setting will be there when you select any GR3 preset (or any custom setting you create) ?

Also, never seemed to be able to have any effect when in GR3 and adjusting the piezo blend knob on the DF. I did get piezo sound tho and verified it by tapping on each string's piezo pup. Ran out of time last night, maybe I didn't have the piezo enabled in the DF, but it didn't make sense that I heard the piezo sound and it was enabled in the console, but was unable to adjust blend on DF itself.

I went thru most all of the presets last night and I noticed something. It seemed I had a bit of distortion that should not have been there, along with a clean sound selected in GR3. But, once I pressed the "learn" button for both the input and output signal sections, the sound balanced out (left & right) and cleaned up nicely. Any idea if we have to do this each time we select a preset ? Maybe, we must store that edited preset for the input/output audio changes to be kept constant ?

I did use the tape deck in GR3, layed down a rhythm track, saved it and played it back and jammed to it...pretty cool stuff.

Any thoughts ?

Hey MLB, I do have my headphones plugged into the rip, and that's what is odd because last time I used the rip I would hear the guitar then I would open GR3 and if I selected an effect like delay, distortion or switch between amps it would change the overall sound and come through the headphones altogether.

Now though it's just hearing the Dark Fire through the headphones and when I open GR3 the effect I select to use doesn't combine with the guitar and the rip and only resonates from the lap tops speakers. I figured I would search the options in the rip and GR3 to make sure my ins & outs were correct and that the routing was proper but I couldn't find anything of that nature to achieve a solution.

Maybe it has something to do with the presets and I just didn't realize I had modified something the last time I used everything, I'm going to plug everything back in at this moment and try to trouble shoot it again.

Yep, that's ur best bet. Go back thru the manual like you were setting up the RIP and GR3 for the first time and verify your settings (ins/outs/sound, etc). I still think u might need to disable ur soundcard in the laptop tho.

Please let us know. This is a good link for adding RIP info into also, thanx for starting it !

Thank you for your quick replies MLB, I just gave myself a good smack on the noggin' right now cause I went under preferences and that opens Audio & Midi settings. On device it wasn't set to the rip but instead my built in Input. Problem solved when I changed Device to the rip, DISTORTION AGAIN!! Thank you again MLB!

i have noticed hearing clean tones behing any effects if i don't mute the six strings in the rip program when using GR3. that may be where you were hearing clean sounds from. I mute everything but the output channels and then i only hear the distorted/effected by gr3 sounds through my headphones. only problem i have is with some settings in gr3 i only get sound through the left side of the headphones. Only with certain presets does this happen and i can't figure out why it doesn't come through in stereo. any thoughts?

I too went had to put in some time to figure out the settings in order to get the RIP to work properly. In reviewing the whole concept of the RIP, it begs the following question:

Since the RIP essentially receives signal from each independent string, then digitizes the information - why can't it just produce a midi signal which is understood by the computer, that is, why does it need another host or interface box for that purpose. Is it that Gibson is relying on Axiom or Roland's algorithms? Or perhaps, just maybe, it could be that I have no idea what I'm taking about and I'm just blowing smoke out my a$$.

only problem i have is with some settings in gr3 i only get sound through the left side of the headphones. Only with certain presets does this happen and i can't figure out why it doesn't come through in stereo. any thoughts?

That's actually quite bizarre, I have yet to run into this dilemma. On your console do you have your pans in the middle or some turned to the left? Everything in GR3 has worked stellar since I changed my device setting to the rip and I messed with a good load of presets in it. Maybe it has to do with the controls on the presets?

Thank you for your quick replies MLB' date=' I just gave myself a good smack on the noggin' right now cause I went under preferences and that opens Audio & Midi settings. On device it wasn't set to the rip but instead my built in Input. Problem solved when I changed Device to the rip, DISTORTION AGAIN!! Thank you again MLB![/quote']

GS, good job mate ! Kinda thought it was the settings....glad u found it. :-k

i have noticed hearing clean tones behing any effects if i don't mute the six strings in the rip program when using GR3. that may be where you were hearing clean sounds from. I mute everything but the output channels and then i only hear the distorted/effected by gr3 sounds through my headphones. only problem i have is with some settings in gr3 i only get sound through the left side of the headphones. Only with certain presets does this happen and i can't figure out why it doesn't come through in stereo. any thoughts?

Yo Jacksonville ! Man, I remember having the exact same thing when I finally sat down with the RIP & GR3 coupla night back. I think I only had sound in the left earphone. I do remember that I did sumthin to fix it, but what I did escapes me.

Let's see, connect the firewire cable to the PC and to the RIP, connect the power plug to the RIP, plug in ur DF (make sure ur using the TRS cable)to the RIP, plug ur headphones into the RIP. Open the Gibson "console" and look at the pans. BTW, don't have GR3 opened yet, just the Gibson console.

Do whatever you want with any of the settings on the console and if you want to bring it back to the original settings, just click on reset in the upper right of the console. Now, unmute your mag pups and ur piezo pups. Mute all the piezo single strings (Low E - High E) and ensure your L&R analog outputs are also unmuted.

At this point, you should hear both earphones.

Keep in mind, I think this is right, but whatever you select in the Gibson console, will stay that way when you close it and go into GR3. So set the console for a combination that you expect to hear for now (mag & piezo pups, L&R output channels umuted, individual piezo strings muted). Also, you can click on "save" at the point and store this setting and call it "mag & piezo pups 032509". You can also create yet another setting where you have just the mag pup on, another for just piezo, and another for all individual piezo strings - all panned to different locations in the stereo spectrum. Save all these settings, so you again know what to expect on how the sound is BEFORE using GR3.

I selected 44.1, locked it and set the box on the right for 256. I'm typing this from memory and not lookin at the Gibson console screen right now. Somewhere in all of these actions I started hearing stereo from my headphones. Hope you do now also. :)

thanks, i'll give this a try. I was leaving everything at default so i'll try doing what you suggested and hopefully it will work. i just thought it was gr3 because it was only some presets, i never would have looked at the rip program, haha! thanks and i'll let you know how it works out (probably tomorrow sometime)

Archived