Gibson Brands Forums

New Hendrix Custom V&SG

Rabs

8 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

I would take the SG

I would take it to, buy it - nope.

The narrator said he didn't always play his Flying V or SG on stage. Wonder what brand and model he played when he wasn't playing the V or the SG. I really could not even make an educated guess what it would be.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I think they look cool 👽 

Not a fan of “aged” guitars, signature models, or the price tag but love the Flying V and SG Custom. 

The video was laden with BS but so is everything else. I ignored what they were saying like always. 

The inlays on the V are cool. I’m curious what the story on the original V is cause I haven’t really seen another one like it. Were those inlays standard at some point or was that made just for Jimi? The SG looks *****in. 

4 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I think they look cool 👽 

Not a fan of “aged” guitars, signature models, or the price tag but love the Flying V and SG Custom. 

The video was laden with BS but so is everything else. I ignored what they were saying like always. 

The inlays on the V are cool. I’m curious what the story on the original V is cause I haven’t really seen another one like it. Were those inlays standard at some point or was that made just for Jimi? The SG looks *****in. 

Wasn't Jimi's  V custom built for him?

Also when I think blues I don't think Jimi. BB or Buddy or Albert, but not Jimi. He played it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I’m so glad someone started this thread. When I first saw the announcement of the new Jimi models I was very excited. Then I saw the price! You have got to be kidding me. Do the math everyone. 300 guitars at 10K each, this is a 3 million dollar project for the custom department not to mention all the other uber expensive custom shop guitars. You mean to tell me you want 10K for a guitar that you beat the crap out of? Gibson claims Jimi custom ordered the Flying V. That is not hard to believe but I’m sure they did not deliver a brand new guitar beat to crap and looking 50 years old. If we want a distressed looking guitar then we will have to play the crap out, never clean it, chain it to the bumper of the old pickup and drag it down a dirt road for 37.25 miles, or just take it to the shed and break out the aging tools. The distressed look is a personal preference and not one I share with the creators of these new models. What musician in their right mind would spend 10K on a beat up guitar and then play or gig with with it? None that I know of. A great Luthier creates a great instrument, a talented musician makes the instrument collectible. Gibson should concentrate on making great instruments that talented musician can afford thus fostering a new generation of guitarist and they will make your brand collectible. Take a lesson from Harley D. If you continue to pander to the collectors, you will only survive as long as they do.

I have actually been trying to obtain the 91-93 Jimi Hendrix Hall of Fame Flying V. BTW, it has the same inlays. They made 400 hundred of these guitars spanning 3 years and the cost was nowhere near 10K. They have a Price Guide Estimated Value of $1720.00 to $2700.00 which tells us the MSRP was a bit lower.

In 2006, Gibson did a run of 300 Custom Shop Jimi Hendrix Psychedelic V-Hand Painted. You see them for sale on the internet from time to time and if you watch, it takes for ever to sell or they just give up.

Sorry for the rant,

C

16 minutes ago, Scarecrow1120 said:

I’m so glad someone started this thread. When I first saw the announcement of the new Jimi models I was very excited. Then I saw the price! You have got to be kidding me. Do the math everyone. 300 guitars at 10K each, this is a 3 million dollar project for the custom department not to mention all the other uber expensive custom shop guitars. You mean to tell me you want 10K for a guitar that you beat the crap out of? Gibson claims Jimi custom ordered the Flying V. That is not hard to believe but I’m sure they did not deliver a brand new guitar beat to crap and looking 50 years old. If we want a distressed looking guitar then we will have to play the crap out, never clean it, chain it to the bumper of the old pickup and drag it down a dirt road for 37.25 miles, or just take it to the shed and break out the aging tools. The distressed look is a personal preference and not one I share with the creators of these new models. What musician in their right mind would spend 10K on a beat up guitar and then play or gig with with it? None that I know of. A great Luthier creates a great instrument, a talented musician makes the instrument collectible. Gibson should concentrate on making great instruments that talented musician can afford thus fostering a new generation of guitarist and they will make your brand collectible. Take a lesson from Harley D. If you continue to pander to the collectors, you will only survive as long as they do.

I have actually been trying to obtain the 91-93 Jimi Hendrix Hall of Fame Flying V. BTW, it has the same inlays. They made 400 hundred of these guitars spanning 3 years and the cost was nowhere near 10K. They have a Price Guide Estimated Value of $1720.00 to $2700.00 which tells us the MSRP was a bit lower.

In 2006, Gibson did a run of 300 Custom Shop Jimi Hendrix Psychedelic V-Hand Painted. You see them for sale on the internet from time to time and if you watch, it takes for ever to sell or they just give up.

Sorry for the rant,

C

No prob. Relic'ing , aging, road worn, whatever they call it is lame. The price is ridiculous. It's a cash grab nothing more. How many undiscovered concerts and studio riffs are they going to release?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

24 minutes ago, Scarecrow1120 said:

Sorry for the rant,

C

As you say.. These are collectors guitars not really for the average player.. They will probably mostly end up behind a glass case or in a vault somewhere.. 

I dont really have an issue with it.. Gibson need to make money and if this sort of thing keeps them going in order for them to stay in business and make the cheaper options then whats the harm.. No one is forced to buy one and they have plenty of cheaper models.

Is it a cash grab, sure..  And I bet all of them will sell.. They usually do. And for those who can afford something like that, then whatever, good luck to them. 

(I bet Janie is getting her big fat share of each sale)..

Edited by Rabs

9 hours ago, Scarecrow1120 said:

Sorry for the rant,

C

So just to be clear, does this mean you won't be buying one?😀

• Haha 1

In the past, much of the $$ goes to the family or business that licences JH name....maybe same here? If so Gibson's take might be way less. 

Seems odd to see the V how they were in the early days - so used to seeing in Korina or black 'metal' style nowadays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 'Scales said:

In the past, much of the $$ goes to the family or business that licences JH name....maybe same here? If so Gibson's take might be way less. 

Seems odd to see the V how they were in the early days - so used to seeing in Korina or black 'metal' style nowadays.

My hope is JH's family get a bit of the $.

The 2016 with the smaller body looks a bit more proportionate to me. I am a fan of the bound body and neck.