Gibson Brands Forums

Do we like?

jdgm

Keith Medley.  He built the guitar himself too.

Uh - new age, post Metheny/Michael Hedges - dropped tunings, delays, floaty reverb etc.  Actually pretty high-tech.  He's not bad at this stuff folks! 

This is mostly right hand, but the next video you get if you let it run shows his lead skills as well.    

I like it, it's very impressive - and I could never do that.   I'm 6 strings, jazz/blues, regular tuning except for occasional slide, valve amps. 

If you have an instrument like that..surely the tuning starts to dictate the style and content of the compositions.   You can hear that in Ralph Towner with his 12 string playing.  

Pat Metheny had a Manzer Pikasso with 42 strings.

There was a guy called Trace Bundy a few years back who used multiple capos as part of his performance.  The end justifies the means, yes?

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that, jdgm. A bit more 'Old Skool' than the ubiquitous use of numerous digital delays (not that I'm casting any aspersions in that direction whatsoever; highly impressive stuff!).  Numerous uses spring to mind for this instrument used as a blues tool with some basic drone bass notes, strummed triplets left to resonate and with single-note fingerwork over the top of all.

I wonder what music John Martyn could have performed in a live setting using this instrument?........

Very enjoyable and thought-provoking.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

And this is partly where it comes from.  The late Michael Hedges, live in 1986 on harp guitar.  I've always loved this track which was 1st released on a Guitar Player magazine flexidisc.

Spoken intro - music starts at 2.35;

Edited by jdgm

I completely remember Michael Hedges from the 1980s when I was in school and listened to Windham Hills artists, he was one. Aerial Boundaries was a classic in my collection.  I still love it. This guy reminds me of him big time in a good way. 

• Like 1

I clicked on it hesitantly (thinking we were going to have so and so and his magic pan flute or something), but surprisingly really liked it, the guy's got skills.  I'd have to hear more of his stuff before I'd  go to see him though, see if there's any variation...  one of this was good, too much, well might be a little too much.

On 11/19/2020 at 6:31 PM, pippy said:

Thanks for that, jdgm. A bit more 'Old Skool' than the ubiquitous use of numerous digital delays (not that I'm casting any aspersions in that direction whatsoever; highly impressive stuff!).  Numerous uses spring to mind for this instrument used as a blues tool with some basic drone bass notes, strummed triplets left to resonate and with single-note fingerwork over the top of all.

I wonder what music John Martyn could have performed in a live setting using this instrument?........

Very enjoyable and thought-provoking.

Philip.

By the way, Very nice to see you back here again Pippy.  

• Thanks 1