Gibson Brands Forums

Question ???

firepower

If that's the serial number (4 digits) - that guitar is older than 1929 by some 20 years. A serial number of 2782 makes it about 1906-1907. But I don't think F-holes appeared that early. Maybe it's a late 20s early 30s, probably L4 (maybe an L5, but not with dots). Hmmm... Is there a design on the trapeze? Can you see a label inside the guitar through one of the F-holes? If so, does it have the same number on it?

You're going to need a vintage expert.

BigKahune I did that I took a flashlight and look into the f-hole inside the body and I did not find any ID number or

any info labels inside the body. that why I came here to seek out your guys knowledge

Thank you. firepower

More pictures or more information would be helpful.

Can you supply the dimensions? Inches across the lower bout, overall length. Is there binding on the back? is the back flat or arched? Does the fretboard lie flat on the upper bout or is it suspended?

Sorry I new at this.

The over all dimensions are from the top of the head to the bottom of the body it is 41" long the bottom of the body

Is 16¼" across the top of the body is 11½" across the body is 3¼" thick the body is out line in white I guess that

Is called Irovy the back is arch not flat

thank you firepower

IMG_1803.jpg

I'm some what rusty on my arch tops. The guitar is mid 30s, 16 inch probably an L-50. This was a lower priced arch top that went through a varitey of changes through the years.

Looks to be original.

The numbers on the end of the headstock show up from time to time on 30s Gibson flat tops. This could be a FON. If it is a FON (factory order number) it would place it around 1934?

Precise dating of Gibson pre-war instruments is not an exact science.

Terry

Terry, I was thinking the same thing.

The binding looks different (newer) on the back. Could be that the back has been off for repairs in the not too distant past?

I love these old 16" archtops- mine just got back from a solid weekend of playing for dancers and at jams at the 'Wannadance' weekend... 12 -16 hours a day! The more you play 'em, the better they sound!

Yea, what's up with the binding/color change?

It's a beauty though, eh?

I LOVE the old stuff, my 1933 Gibson Mandolin has tone for days.

It's resonating as I type.................................

Murph.

Archived