Gibson Brands Forums

Lotto Win - What Guitar?

BluesKing777

Have four guitars, and don't need or want any more.

However, a vintage, black Nikon SP rangefinder with an S-36 motordrive, and Jacobson Powercon battery pack would be nice.

And if the win was large enough, I'd really go crazy and get a 1967 Austin Healy 3000, or even better, a Ferrari GT 250 California.

But since I haven't won any lottery, I'll just get new wiper blades for my car.

RBSinTo.

2 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Easy and without the shadow of a doubt, one just like this: 

http://www.bannergibsons.com/910-41SJWilliHenkes.html

Coolest guitar ever made, in my book at least!

Lars

That's a nice one from the same batch as the sister guitar that Tom Barnwell owns. His does not have the skunk stripe on the top, but the grain and color of the back and sides of the two guitars are very similar. The rosewood from both guitars may well be from the same tree. Tom's also doesn't have the white heelcap.

That's a pretty good choice, Lars. I might take that one or a 1936 AJ. 

Edited by j45nick
additional thought

45 minutes ago, jedzep said:

A small bod pre-war Martin, hands down. Something like this, but maybe a notch up to a 000.
https://reverb.com/item/7052652-martin-00-42-1935-natural

That pre-war 000-42/45  is going to set you back a few bucks. Might as well go the whole hog, for a pre-war D-45. I played one of those, and it was absolute magic.

Of course, the mystique around it didn't hurt!

Needless to say, I played it very, very carefully.

Hah! Too big for me, Nick. I can only imagine the voice on that beast.
QChSqGv.jpg
Hey, I already hit the jackpot on the $700 L00.  Lieber copied the bridge instead of using the one I gave him. Plays very sweet with a little more jangle than the '35, 1mm string height at the 1st, maybe 2 at the 10th. Pictured here with the Greven guard, but not sure I'll glue it on yet.

BK didn't say which lottery, OR which guitar he'd pick.

22 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Screw the guitar.  What you will see is a  Porsche 911S sitting in the driveway.

Ha! I did that as a 40th birthday present to myself (30+ years ago), about a week after my divorce from my first wife was finalized.

Talk about a conjunction of midlife crises.....

9 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Easy and without the shadow of a doubt, one just like this: 

http://www.bannergibsons.com/910-41SJWilliHenkes.html

Coolest guitar ever made, in my book at least!

Lars

Yes, a batch 910 rosewood SJ!

In truth, I would complete my Banner collection. I've got a first year SJ and a first year LG-1, and an only year Banner L-50. Were I blessed with a windfall, I'd complete my collection with first year examples of the J-45, J-50, LG-2, and LG-3.

4 hours ago, jedzep said:

Hah! Too big for me, Nick. I can only imagine the voice on that beast.
QChSqGv.jpg
Hey, I already hit the jackpot on the $700 L00.  Lieber copied the bridge instead of using the one I gave him. Plays very sweet with a little more jangle than the '35, 1mm string height at the 1st, maybe 2 at the 10th. Pictured here with the Greven guard, but not sure I'll glue it on yet.

BK didn't say which lottery, OR which guitar he'd pick.

I assumed we won the lot! (I just wanted to start a fun thread instead of the gloomy stuff).

What's the old joke about the guitarist that wins the lottery and when asked what he will do says he will be able to afford to play in a band again...

And while some feel they have won the lotto with a $700 Gibson like JZ (Dave) above, nothing wrong with that - a nice playable guitar that sounds good is literally 'priceless......but sorry JZ, it was not what I had in mind. 😎

And then there is the other extreme with the already stinking rich that have ALL the stuff......but you know, years ago I was working corporate graphics in the city, suit, tie, short hair, earring removed in desperate attempt to earn more money than guitar playing poverty and I was the only Indian among 2,500 chiefs approx......I was walking down the aisle and one of the big chiefs called me over. He said: "I heard you played guitar?" (ooops, I thought I had kept very secret). Then he said: "Check the guitar I bought!" And the guy being rich enough to buy the whole city 3 times over while owning all the souls in this building opened the guitar case and I expected, well, I don't know, something insane from Southebys or the WORKS, but it was a budget Epiphone copy of a John Lennon electric archtop. Used with action about an inch high. Then he fumbled a couple of D chords or tried to make a D chord about 30 times and I thought: "Oh dear!" He handed me the guitar to try and I couldn't have been more nervous  if I was playing a stadium! The guitar was truly AWFUL. I tried to get it in tune, lost cause, and all I could think to play was something like John Lee Hooker riff in Boom Boom Boom (rather apt, eh?). And he said: "I would give anything to play like you!" But he didn't...

There is a moral to the story somewhere there!

And cars! And the rich! Here is a video, priceless, truly priceless - the guy wants the Ferrari 340 but has to ask the wife!:

BluesKing777.

2 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Long explanation, BK, but what 'lotto' guitar for you?

Aha!

Well, after the win the thinking would go something like this, full speed..........flat out mind blast........wahoooooooooooooooooooooo to start off. And hope my head doesn't explode.

Then....custom, custom shop, CUSTOM Shop something but then....don't want to wait for them to make it, want it now, want it now. But then you don't get exactly what you want and deserve as a lotto winner unless you get a full Custom Shop hand built customised something Martin Gibson Lowden Maton, Martin Gibson Lowden Maton, Martin Gibson Lowden Maton Custom Shop hand made. Taylor custom made presentation 00. Martin Gibson Lowden Maton custom shops.

Then....Vintage!!!!! Err, nothing anywhere near me unless they are hiding it well....have to import it or go get it, have to WAIT! We'll go get it!!!!!! Get what? Tom and JT and Nick have them all. Aha, we'll go see them. Make them an offer they can't refuse! Oh no, we are in lockdown, can't go anywhere. Will have to wait. WAIT.

Ring my local music shop: "Give me ALL you got!!!!" Send them NOW!" "What, I have to wait, WAIT, till Monday? WHAT???? "I will be there with the truck soon!"

Then....wood, woods, what woods do I want?

Might go have a nap and WAIT....

BlueKing777.

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

I assumed we won the lot! (I just wanted to start a fun thread instead of the gloomy stuff).

What's the old joke about the guitarist that wins the lottery and when asked what he will do says he will be able to afford to play in a band again...

And while some feel they have won the lotto with a $700 Gibson like JZ (Dave) above, nothing wrong with that - a nice playable guitar that sounds good is literally 'priceless......but sorry JZ, it was not what I had in mind. 😎

And then there is the other extreme with the already stinking rich that have ALL the stuff......but you know, years ago I was working corporate graphics in the city, suit, tie, short hair, earring removed in desperate attempt to earn more money than guitar playing poverty and I was the only Indian among 2,500 chiefs approx......I was walking down the aisle and one of the big chiefs called me over. He said: "I heard you played guitar?" (ooops, I thought I had kept very secret). Then he said: "Check the guitar I bought!" And the guy being rich enough to buy the whole city 3 times over while owning all the souls in this building opened the guitar case and I expected, well, I don't know, something insane from Southebys or the WORKS, but it was a budget Epiphone copy of a John Lennon electric archtop. Used with action about an inch high. Then he fumbled a couple of D chords or tried to make a D chord about 30 times and I thought: "Oh dear!" He handed me the guitar to try and I couldn't have been more nervous  if I was playing a stadium! The guitar was truly AWFUL. I tried to get it in tune, lost cause, and all I could think to play was something like John Lee Hooker riff in Boom Boom Boom (rather apt, eh?). And he said: "I would give anything to play like you!" But he didn't...

There is a moral to the story somewhere there!

And cars! And the rich! Here is a video, priceless, truly priceless - the guy wants the Ferrari 340 but has to ask the wife!:

BluesKing777.

That car last sold for a bit over $6 million.

Nothing like the sound of a V-12. I prefer mine in the form of a Rolls Royce Merlin or its Packard equivalent, tucked into the front end of a P-51 Mustang. That will only set you back about $2.5 million, and it's a lot faster than the Ferrari.

It's a long way from a guitar, however. I don't have to worry about crashing a J-45.

1 hour ago, j45nick said:

That car last sold for a bit over $6 million.

Nothing like the sound of a V-12. I prefer mine in the form of a Rolls Royce Merlin or its Packard equivalent, tucked into the front end of a P-51 Mustang. That will only set you back about $2.5 million, and it's a lot faster than the Ferrari.

It's a long way from a guitar, however. I don't have to worry about crashing a J-45.

Ha!

Fighter jet?

Cars are a black hole, I can’t imagine what running a fighter plane would be!

Back to the guitars - the shops near me have been fully plucked, ha ha, dry. Picked bare. Bizarre.

What about custom builds? Current craze around the traps is various ancient timbers resurrected by hard working people from bogs and lakes and seas, dried, cut and guitarafied! Lowden had 5000 year old bog oak and another with driftwood cedar top. Get to work on a S50 for me please, George! Martin had stinker Sinker Mahogany (nobody tells you it stinks bad but you know, it has been at the bottom of a river for 300 - 500 years, maybe.). Anyway Chris from CFM can make me a 00 in all sinker and another sinker/old growth sitka - don’t be afraid to put some abalone on them either, Chris! Gibson can make me a custom L-00 Legend style with sinker mahogany and some old adi for the top, though I probably have to go get the wood myself. Do they have anything like that?

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

10 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Ha!

Fighter jet?

Cars are a black hole, I can’t imagine what running a fighter plane would be!

Back to the guitars - the shops near me have been fully plucked, ha ha, dry. Picked bare. Bizarre.

What about custom builds? Current craze around the traps is various ancient timbers resurrected by hard working people from bogs and lakes and seas, dried, cut and guitarafied! Lowden had 5000 year old bog oak and another with driftwood cedar top. Get to work on a S50 for me please, George! Martin had stinker Sinker Mahogany (nobody tells you it stinks bad but you know, it has been at the bottom of a river for 300 - 500 years, maybe.). Anyway Chris from CFM can make me a 00 in all sinker and another sinker/old growth sitka - don’t be afraid to put some abalone on them either, Chris! Gibson can make me a custom L-00 Legend style with sinker mahogany and some old adi for the top, though I probably have to go get the wood myself. Do they have anything like that?

BluesKing777.

BK,

The P-51 is not a jet. It is driven by a 27-litre V-12 liquid cooled reciprocating petrol engine, producing on average around 1500 hp.

Add some bone pins and a set of medium PBs, and she's probably a real flyer. And you're right, it is an expensive hobby compared to guitars. Any guitars. 

It will also kill you. You can play your guitars after a half bottle of booze. You don't want to fly in that condition, however. You can also sail drunk, but I don't recommend it.

Guitars are safer in every way, even if they can be an expensive habit.

Now, back to our regular programming. I think I'll listen to a J-45 rather than the news.