Gibson Brands Forums

Lotto Win - What Guitar?

BluesKing777

18 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

As long as you don't strangle while changing strings.

RBSinTo

The biggest danger for me changing strings has always been string ends poking holes in my fingers. You'd think after 50+ years I would have learned how to do it.

13 hours ago, j45nick said:

That car last sold for a bit over $6 million.

Nothing like the sound of a V-12. I prefer mine in the form of a Rolls Royce Merlin or its Packard equivalent, tucked into the front end of a P-51 Mustang. That will only set you back about $2.5 million, and it's a lot faster than the Ferrari.

It's a long way from a guitar, however. I don't have to worry about crashing a J-45.

Nick,

While I always loved the P-51 with the bubble canopy, I really prefer my Merlins in pairs pulling a Mosquito through the sky.

As an aside, one of only two airworthy Lancasters in the world flies from an airport in Hamilton, just outside of Toronto, and it makes regular flights over the city every summer.

You always know when it is flying as you never forget the howl of the four Merlins as the Lancaster passes overhead.

RBSinTo

33 minutes ago, j45nick said:

The biggest danger for me changing strings has always been string ends poking holes in my fingers. You'd think after 50+ years I would have learned how to do it.

I'm far more worried about the end of a string poking me in an eye. The ends of my fingers not so much.

RBSinTo

I kind of hope he’d refuse to sell it to me (because it means to much to him), but I might make James Taylor a huge offer for his J-50.

And talking of JT, I would likely treat myself to an Olson.

But a vintage Gibson J-45 / J-50 / Southern Jumbo / Country Western would probably be my first purchase.

12 minutes ago, TomG76 said:

I kind of hope he’d refuse to sell it to me (because it means to much to him), but I might make James Taylor a huge offer for his J-50.

And talking of JT, I would likely treat myself to an Olson.

But a vintage Gibson J-45 / J-50 / Southern Jumbo / Country Western would probably be my first purchase.

Did I not hear something about James Taylor retiring his old J-50, saying something approximate to "the sound is worn out of it", or some such. 

If so, I'd imagine there's still some good sound in there somewhere.

25 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Did I not hear something about James Taylor retiring his old J-50, saying something approximate to "the sound is worn out of it", or some such. 

If so, I'd imagine there's still some good sound in there somewhere.

He dug it out for some work with Carole King a while back, but I think that rings a bell and he does think it’s knackered. I know he think guitars wear out more readily than violins and celli.

I wouldn’t even ask Willie Nelson if he would sell Trigger, but I might pay him to let me have a play.

6 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Oh. And for those of you too embarrassed to ask what a black Nikon SP with s-36 motor drive and Jacobson Powercon is, here ya go.

RBSinTo

Nikon (Nippon Kogaku K.K.) S36 Motor Drive for Nikon S-Mount Rangefinder  cameras -Index Page

When I was a photographer, I had Leicas starting back in high school, with my first one being a IIIa,  last one being an M4, which I sold a number of years ago. You could get a motor drive for that one as well. I still have a couple of film cameras sitting around, but haven't used them in a number of years.  I loved rangefinder cameras.

Digital spoils you. You don't mind taking 10 pictures when one will do. I use to have the think about the cost of film and processing, which is a foreign language to most people these days. 

Not complaining: digital is pretty cool, and you don't end up with file drawers of negatives and transparencies. Something is lost as well, however.

If Gibson, then a 1962/63/64 ceramic saddled caramel-burst Hummingbird - or some vintage sunburst J-200 with Tune-O-Matic bridge.                                                                                                                                                          But in this phase I would probably aim for a PREWAR Brazilian rosewood herringbone shade top distress level 1 Dreadnought. 

That said, there is a chance it would be pretty hard for the new kid to match the herd here. Many of my current guitars are trimmed and very well broken in by now.                                                        They sound'n'act excellentos. 

Edited by E-minor7

8 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Oh. And for those of you too embarrassed to ask what a black Nikon SP with s-36 motor drive and Jacobson Powercon is, here ya go.

RBSinTo

Nikon (Nippon Kogaku K.K.) S36 Motor Drive for Nikon S-Mount Rangefinder  cameras -Index Page

Cool look!

A little story for ya...

Everyone in my family had point and shoot cameras when I was a kid but nobody had a clue and most photos were of feet, by mistake, the biggest waste of film! So there is my  photography background...

I did a course in digital graphics when it first came popular, including very early photoshop sort of software and I was starting to think I would like to be a computer graphics type person for a living...guitarists were pretty unloved and uncool at that time, disco ruled. The teacher of the course put me on to a job at an advertising agency that were going digital. Man oh man, have I got it made - I got a job at an ADVERTISING agency. I mean, was that the coolest of corporate cool? Except the work and the company stunk! So I left, oh oh, need a job....

So, I'm not sure how but I got a job doing the early version of data mining, but my job was  digitizing paper copy by feeding billions of it into a scanner system, oh tedious of tedium tedium boring. One day, the dept. manager came flying back from a big meeting, stopped at my desk and said: "The boss wants to start an intranet (internal corporate internet thing) - would you like to do it? You will have to learn about the Internet."

"What's that?" being my reply.

Anyway, part of my new job was lugging one of the first digital cameras, Apple QuickTake 150 around to take everyone's photo for the Intranet to match their personal details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake#:~:text=The Windows version of the,to the Kodak DCS 100.

I was feared! People hid. My reputation of taking fuzzy digital horrors was preceding me. Women and men cried when they saw their face on the INTRANET.

And the battery lasted 4 photos, so I lugged the power lead around. And I thought to myself: "This whole thing will never catch on"

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

6 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Cool look!

A little story for ya...

Everyone in my family had point and shoot cameras when I was a kid but nobody had a clue and most photos were of feet, by mistake, the biggest waste of film! So there is my  photography background...

I did a course in digital graphics when it first came popular, including very early photoshop sort of software and I was starting to think I would like to be a computer graphics type person for a living...guitarists were pretty unloved and uncool at that time, disco ruled. The teacher of the course put me on to a job at an advertising agency that were going digital. Man oh man, have I got it made - I got a job at an ADVERTISING agency. I mean, was that the coolest of corporate cool? Except the work and the company stunk! So I left, oh oh, need a job....

So, I'm not sure how but I got a job doing the early version of data mining, but my job was  digitizing paper copy by feeding billions of it into a scanner system, oh tedious of tedium tedium boring. One day, the dept. manager came flying back from a big meeting, stopped at my desk and said: "The boss wants to start an intranet (internal corporate internet thing) - would you like to do it? You will have to learn about the Internet."

"What's that?" being my reply.

Anyway, part of my new job was lugging one of the first digital cameras, Apple QuickTake 150 around to take everyone's photo for the Intranet to match their personal details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake#:~:text=The Windows version of the,to the Kodak DCS 100.

I was feared! People hid. My reputation of taking fuzzy digital horrors was preceding me. Women and men cried when they saw their face on the INTRANET.

And the battery lasted 4 photos, so I lugged the power lead around. And I thought to myself: "This whole thing will never catch on"

BluesKing777.

Reminds me of a guy in my office who was fiddling with a thing he called email via the internet (via compuserve) in the late 1980s. My thought was "what a waste of time".

35 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Reminds me of a guy in my office who was fiddling with a thing he called email via the internet (via compuserve) in the late 1980s. My thought was "what a waste of time".

Ha!

Compuserve had the early online chat system, and wait for it....a forum!!!!

"Why oh why would anyone want to chat to a computer?", I thought.

BluesKing777.

The worm turns. I live in baseball tourism land, where the trend is vacation rentals, for those who own and manage properties. Last year I landed a few fix up jobs with a couple of insurance guys from the west coast ,who had figured out years ago, that when the first phases of internet began to be accessible, it failed to have a data saving facet. They developed early data saving technology that obviously took off. When they sold the company they now had the bucks to buy up rentals in a bustling tourism market. Good for me in the fix-up business.

They threw a lot of dollars into their first three properties and had a good first year, ready to expand. Then someone ate an infected bat, and no one came. Many lost their mojo. If it drags out another summer more will follow.

1 hour ago, jedzep said:

Cameras, cars, real estate, fighter planes. Jesus, I just wanted BK to name one freekin' guitar he'd buy. I'm gonna' make a drink and go play my Hoboken Guild F30.

Well I looked at the local wares online and it is skun, gone, empty, zip, nothing decent left. Virus, lockdown, feeding frenzy on new guitars. Really!

My place looks better than the music shops online here that I like!

Yesterday, I grabbed my 2014/5 Martin OM18 Authentic and played that in a pseudo classical style fingerpicking pop rock tunes and it was truly incredible....then it dawned on me - the stormy nights have left the humidity really high even though the temp was low...the OM full of socks is easier to handle! Didn't highlight the mistakes as normal.... the other guitars sounded like planks. Usually I play my National/s when it is humid.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

24 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Yesterday, I grabbed my 2014/5 Martin OM18 Authentic and played that in a pseudo classical style fingerpicking pop rock tunes and it was truly incredible....then it dawned on me - the stormy nights have left the humidity really high even though the temp was low...the OM full of socks is easier to handle! Didn't highlight the mistakes as normal.... the other guitars sounded like planks. Usually I play my National/s when it is humid.

BluesKing777.

High humidity is a tone-killer.

Right now in Florida, temperature is just low enough the the central AC runs only periodically--probably 10-20% of the time.  Temperature in my office/music room is 75F/24C. Humidity is 43%. Outside humidity is about 85% right now.

Inside conditions are near-perfect as far as the wood guitars are concerned. The carbon fiber guitar couldn't care less.

1 hour ago, j45nick said:

High humidity is a tone-killer.

Right now in Florida, temperature is just low enough the the central AC runs only periodically--probably 10-20% of the time.  Temperature in my office/music room is 75F/24C. Humidity is 43%. Outside humidity is about 85% right now.

Inside conditions are near-perfect as far as the wood guitars are concerned. The carbon fiber guitar couldn't care less.

We have noise as well as humidity - the Screaming Idiot is home after hiding somewhere else during lockdown! Sounds like murder being committed and that is him and little mates  jumping off their house roof into the  pool over and over and over and over...and over............................................................................................................right near the fence about 5 feet from my music room.

So we plugged in - saved! Preamps, headphones practice. Can't hear the morons, humidity doesn't matter as much.

Across the road noisiest rude and selfish screaming lunatic terds have gone quiet after the ambulance pulled up.

I was going to flee once our full state virus lockdown ended yesterday midnight, but the place I may have headed to had an outbreak and  they were all running this way in panic.

Guitars - I love 00 size and am bored with usual woods, even though they can sound the best....mahogany/sitka. But you know, since I got various strange wood guitars and then bought the 2005 Cherry Dove, well, I am having the guitarist version of the mid life crisis! I am keeping the plain good sounders, but things like the (00 slope) Martin CEO-9 in flamed Mangowood front, back and sides are grabbing my attention. My plain CEO7 is a wonderful Martin version of the L-00 with adi top/very nice looking mahogany, love the neck! CEO-9 is the same neck, sort of.......

Apart from a couple of gold capos and some downloaded guitar tips, I have not spent a razoo from the guitar fund which is exploding as I am still not smoking, somehow, and the funds for the smokes are still going in the guitar fund. So if a guitar I want, in any shape or form gets advertised in any area close to me, I tell ya, I am on their doorstep! Sorry, don't know what it is just yet......😎

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

The case you posed, a lotto win guitar, is still the question, though. Not thumbing through what's available locally. You have carte blanc, say, on Reverb. What do you shop?

As for your neighbors, we have many like that here in the woods of upstate NY. Fortunately, their lunatic leader just lost the election, so it's gone quiet.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, jedzep said:

The case you posed, a lotto win guitar, is still the question, though. Not thumbing through what's available locally. You have carte blanc, say, on Reverb. What do you shop?

As for your neighbors, we have many like that here in the woods of upstate NY. Fortunately, their lunatic leader just lost the election, so it's gone quiet.

They're just reloading ammunition and putting away 400 rolls of toilet paper for the coming apocalypse. Maybe they'll forget which goes where.

• Sad 1