Gibson Brands Forums

Lotto Win - What Guitar?

BluesKing777

5 hours ago, j45nick said:

When I was a photographer, I had Leicas starting back in high school, with my first one being a IIIa,  last one being an M4, which I sold a number of years ago. You could get a motor drive for that one as well. I still have a couple of film cameras sitting around, but haven't used them in a number of years.  I loved rangefinder cameras.

Digital spoils you. You don't mind taking 10 pictures when one will do. I use to have the think about the cost of film and processing, which is a foreign language to most people these days. 

Not complaining: digital is pretty cool, and you don't end up with file drawers of negatives and transparencies. Something is lost as well, however.

Nick,

I've been shooting since 1977, with a bit of pro work here and there.

My passion is candid street.

Always used Nikon manual focus film SLRs, and about twenty years ago got interested in their rangefinder cameras so got a few of those (SP and S3s) as well. Love them except that their rangefinder spots are weaker than Leica's.

For myself I only shot 100 ISO colour slide and loved it. Now there is only one place in Toronto where one can get it processed, and they send it out to Montreal!

Finally went digital about three years ago with D3 bodies and three AF lenses. The best thing I can say about it is my shots are sharp. Other than that, I'm whelmed by Digital.

RBSinTo

30 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Nick,

I've been shooting since 1977, with a bit of pro work here and there.

My passion is candid street.

Film makes you concentrate. Every frame counts. That's a good thing. My favorite combination was the M4 with a 35mm f2 Summicron. The closer you get to your subject, the better. Perfect for your passion, if you can do it without making people uncomfortable. Do your cropping in the darkroom.

Now, I mostly just use my iphone 11 pro, which has a decent camera for what it is. Mostly I'm just documenting things, and it's pretty good for that. It's nice to have three lenses in one, and it takes surprisingly good photos for a phone.

3 hours ago, jedzep said:

The case you posed, a lotto win guitar, is still the question, though. Not thumbing through what's available locally. You have carte blanc, say, on Reverb. What do you shop?

As for your neighbors, we have many like that here in the woods of upstate NY. Fortunately, their lunatic leader just lost the election, so it's gone quiet.

I thought I had mentioned I don't want to buy anything I haven't played first....or wait for it....so, local only. Use to be billions here, so they will be back on the market soon, I imagine, when all the recent buyers are sick of them. Something top of the line, of course, like a Lowden S50 (small body) Custom sinker Redwood/5000 year old Bog Oak, or a Martin 00-45, A Kopp L-00 in funny wood, maybe...don't know - I will know when it appears! Vintage Gibsons or Martins are pretty well non existent here....if anything I wanted was for sale in the last 10 years or so, it would probably live at my place! But, zip.

Strange news here with virus - Victoria in Southern Australia - we came OUT of full lockdown last night at midnight - no known cases found in 3 weeks - re-opening everything.

Edited by BluesKing777

Ha, ha, ha, laughing to myself, thinking some of you lot here winning the lotto would be like Elvis with his new mates riding motorbikes around his pool![biggrin]

Speaking of Elvis, a trip to Vegas would have to include Heartbreaker Guitars - I'm sure I could find something there, though their stock has been affected too. But, you know, a Lowden and a Santa Cruz 00 or...........................

https://heartbreakerguitars.com/

P.S........I like 00 size because, simple explanation, I come out swinging with something like John Hurt style Freight Train,  on my OMs the bass notes will be a tad loud and the brain does a few calculations and plays the thumb softer....if I play my various 00 size guitars, come out swinging and not thinking, bass and balance absolutely perfect.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

9 hours ago, j45nick said:

Film makes you concentrate. Every frame counts. That's a good thing. My favorite combination was the M4 with a 35mm f2 Summicron. The closer you get to your subject, the better. Perfect for your passion, if you can do it without making people uncomfortable. Do your cropping in the darkroom.

Now, I mostly just use my iphone 11 pro, which has a decent camera for what it is. Mostly I'm just documenting things, and it's pretty good for that. It's nice to have three lenses in one, and it takes surprisingly good photos for a phone.

I was always thrifty with film. Not because of cost, but rather I just never needed to take a ton of shots to get what I wanted. One or two was usually enough. All my SLR's were motorized, but not for burst shooting, but just so the shutters were always cocked. Even now, with Digital bodies, I only take a shot or two to get the scene.

Always loved 21, 24 and 35mm lenses. But I always carried least three and sometimes four cameras, so there were 105 and 180 or 80-200 with me as well.

I've never had a problem getting right up close and personal to shoot, but always carry longer lenses as well, because sometimes there just isn't time to get close before the scene breaks up and the moment is gone.

But enough about photography. This is a Gibson acoustic guitar thread, so I should talk about them.

I have a Gibson j45. It is very nice.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

1 minute ago, RBSinTo said:

I have a Gibson j45. It is very nice.

RBSinTo

The mahogany Gibson slope-J is my favorite guitar in the world, as you might guess from my screen name. I have three of them: a Bozeman-built 1943 SJ re-issue from 2006, and two 1950 J-45s built within a couple of months of each other 70 years ago. I've owned one of the J-45s since 1966. I bought the other from the original owner last year. He bought it new when he was 14, saving his odd-job money for the purchase.

I may be in a bit of a rut with my guitar choices, but it's a good rut to be in.

If I could only have one guitar, it would be....(wait for it).....a Gibson J-45.  You can't go wrong.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, j45nick said:

The mahogany Gibson slope-J is my favorite guitar in the world, as you might guess from my screen name. I have three of them: a Bozeman-built 1943 SJ re-issue from 2006, and two 1950 J-45s built within a couple of months of each other 70 years ago. I've owned one of the J-45s since 1966. I bought the other from the original owner last year. He bought it new when he was 14, saving his odd-job money for the purchase.

I may be in a bit of a rut with my guitar choices, but it's a good rut to be in.

If I could only have one guitar, it would be....(wait for it).....a Gibson J-45.  You can't go wrong.

Nick,

And if I could only have one, it would be..... (wait for it).... my 1974 Martin D-28.

As I said, my j-45 is very nice, but it ain't no D-28.

RBSinTo

4 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Nick,

And if I could only have one, it would be..... (wait for it).... my 1974 Martin D-28.

As I said, my j-45 is very nice, but it ain't no D-28.

RBSinTo

Nothing is. Wonder why so many guitar manufacturers copied it?

I'll put my D-41 up against any Rosewood back and sides guitar.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Well, well, well, what a party pooping bunch of skinflints....”I’ve won the Lotto and I’m gonna get a Gibson J45!”

You’ve won gazillions but you gonna buy a $2000 guitar?

Jeesh, at least aim for a mint 1943 Banner J45/SJumbo! Break out a bit, lose that cash, cowboys. 😎

59 Les Paul Standard mint $2 Mil. 30s Martin D45 $2Mil ?? Used Gibson J45 $2000. Ha ha ha.

Mark Knopfler’s 38 D18.....

Nick Lucas’s Nick Lucas (black).

Hank’s lost J45.

Lightning’s 56 J50.

Rev Davis’s SJ200.

Keef’s lost Bird.

Elvis’ black Dove, SJ200, D18.

Put on your Elvis pants and go shopping!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

Well, well, well, what a party pooping bunch of skinflints....”I’ve won the Lotto and I’m gonna get a Gibson J45!”

You’ve won gazillions but you gonna buy a $2000 guitar?

Jeesh, at least aim for a mint 1943 Banner J45/SJumbo! Break out a bit, lose that cash, cowboys. 😎

59 Les Paul Standard mint $2 Mil. 30s Martin D45 $2Mil ?? Used Gibson J45 $2000. Ha ha ha.

Hank’s lost J45.

Lightning’s 56 J50.

Rev Davis’s SJ200.

Keef’s lost Bird.

BluesKing777.

Oy BluesKing777,

You're not listening.

I said I didn't need any more guitars, but the Ferrari 250 GT California ( you remember, like the one Ferris Bueller borrowed from Cameron's dad) would be real nice.

And I'll need a rather hefty Lotto win to grab one. Seems these days they go for a substantial chunk of change. Check it out.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/608108/ferrari-250-gt-lwb-california-sells-for-24-million/

Lemme know when you find "Hank's lost 45". I'll pick you up in the Ferrari and drive you over to retrieve it.

RBSinTo

8 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Oy BluesKing777,

You're not listening.

I said I didn't need any more guitars, but the Ferrari 250 GT California ( you remember, like the one Ferris Bueller borrowed from Cameron's dad) would be real nice.

And I'll need a rather hefty Lotto win to grab one. Seems these days they go for a substantial chunk of change. Check it out.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/608108/ferrari-250-gt-lwb-california-sells-for-24-million/

Lemme know when you find "Hank's lost 45". I'll pick you up in the Ferrari and drive you over to retrieve it.

RBSinTo

I don't have any sound on this work computer to listen....😁

I think I use to sketch that Ferrari when I was a kid, and Nick, I use to also sketch your fighter plane.......had no idea what they were then.

I doubt you will come to my place to pick me up in it, and if you could - the locals are ferocious nice things haters, one step above cannibals, I have discovered while driving my semi classic 1989 BMW E30 or my 2010 One series convertible.... I love them but they are nowhere in the scheme of things with motoring aficionados! The locals give me...err..rude comments, or err..the finger as I go past. I swear if they got hold of my guitars, they would eat them. One night, broken down on the side of the main road in my E30, not one person stopped to help but lots yelled out err........ rude things about BMWs...... Doesn't bother me, I'm use to people yelling out...err...rude things from playing in bands....[biggrin]

I had some photos of my cars to show you but Imgur is having a meltdown when I tried before.

What am I getting at? I think to own that Ferrari, you may just need to own the whole mountain like the chap in the 1st video I posted! Drive around your own scenic road never to view the unwashed....

Imgur is back!

1989BMW E30:

KTIaxLVh.jpg

2010 One series convertible:

Hp79IEVh.jpg

E30 (dogs taken to beach for many years) has been at the mechanic's for over a month, had to take Destructo to the beach in the convertible!

If you look close, you can see the car destroyer looking at me with a 'What's he doing?' look:

1yhakVkh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

57 minutes ago, j45nick said:

BK, I don't think I would let that dog into my BMW, if I had one. I certainly didn't let my dachshund into my Porsche, even though she was German. Couldn't trust her.

Dogs can be vengeful creatures.

Vengeful, is it? Funny!

Cool cars, eh? Both didn't cost that much. The problem is when things go bad and...gulp......go to BMW. Yikes! The famous $2000 car wash with every service. So I go to a guy that works on his own...and on his own schedule.

Years back when I got the E30, I wasn't going to let the Boss in but she did get to go in it....😁 

And 4 dogs later, the (E30)seats need a 'bit of refurishing', so I have been taking current dog, Jazz, everyday after work during non Daylight saving hours and sometimes at 7.30 PM + when they are allowed in Daylight Savings. The plan is to wear her out with running and swimming to stop her destroying the yard and murdering the night creatures....

But the E30 is at the mechanic's and the dog said it must go to the beach, now! Into the convertible, no turning back. Sand everywhere!

HeLR36Lh.jpg

P.S. for any guitar players interested in a BMW convertible, only one (1) guitar in roadcase fits in the trunk with the roof UP.....

Would the dog get to ride in the Ferrari?

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

53 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Would the dog get to ride in the Ferrari?

BluesKing777.

Hah! My wife wouldn't even let ME ride in her Ferrari, if she had it.

She's a bit of a sports car nut, Having had an MG TC, Healy Sprite and  3000, and  3.8 Jag. She's eyeballing the new Corvette.

She occasionally lowered herself to ride in the 911. I even got her on the back of my motorbikes a few times, but that was really slumming it.

Ferrari? Chance in a million.

If guitars were car shapes, my preferred 00s would be 4 cylinder coupes! Don't imagine what a convertible would be, perhaps one with the folding neck? Mine are just plain 4 cylinder numbers, not much for standing starts I suppose, but I don't get to do that much! They go through the hills like go karts! Same with my 00s.

The J45s etc would be like a mid range sedan, general do-er.

The SJ200 would be  a light truck, slow or fast depending on the engine/bracing!

The 12 strings could be a...bus!

BluesKing777.

40 minutes ago, jedzep said:

If you boys drove Subarus, you'd have nicer guitars,

In the 60s they had a Ford model locally for pseudo racers nicknamed the Super Roo - the Ford XT Falcon 'Super Roo' Coupe: (Australian Motorshow Concept No. 6).

When Subarus first got popular, I thought people were talking about Super Roos but then when it was a old family type person with no interest in fast car anything, I had to scratch my head!

I s'pose Subarus are better to talk about than politics - you guys trying to get my thread deleted earlier....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

What a lovely lively thread here. Reassuring to see the Board still loaded with pyrotechnical expertice. 

14 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Hank’s lost J45.

Lightning’s 56 J50.

Rev Davis’s SJ200.

Keef’s lost Bird.

Do you mean the first wave one he got around 65. That was stolen in France 7 years later or. . . 

eossG2G.jpg

I'd dig that beast too, , , and actually burn to try Donovan's also lost 1964 cherry ceramic saddled J-45. They both sounded good then, if alive probably sing like 2 dreams now. . 

P.S. - Struck lotto-lucky the pants above are on the list for sure. But can Keith see them through those specs at all. . 

Edited by E-minor7

If I won a modest lotto, I might go for a Louden Wee. (No, NOT the Sheeran travesty).

Would have to compare wood combos and 12-vs 14-fret options—or buy one of everything and take my dear, sweet time ranking them.

Go small or go home. 🙃 

5 hours ago, AnneS said:

If I won a modest lotto, I might go for a Louden Wee. (No, NOT the Sheeran travesty).

Would have to compare wood combos and 12-vs 14-fret options—or buy one of everything and take my dear, sweet time ranking them.

Go small or go home. 🙃 

Try a few Wees, ha ha, but they really are an expensive travel guitar like the min Martin, mini Taylor and even mini Matons made popular by the diminutive Sheeran.

I would recommend going up a size to the S models, a deep body 00 really....and I can’t forgive you if you went the ‘American’ combination of Rosewood/Sitka. Live wild, think bigger, spend more and get one of their absolutely superb exotic wood combinations.

My 1993 Lowden S35 figured Tasmanian Blackwood/Cedar with Tommy and Phil Emmanuels signatures - one of the most delightful guitars I have ever played:

VrPQIogh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777