Gibson Brands Forums

Lotto Win - What Guitar?

BluesKing777

22 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

What was it that P.T. Barnum said?

RBSinTo

Not sure.  Ive been bad for spending money on items I didnt need that were over priced.      And it did not take a lottery.  Now if that was the case. I think I would share the loot to people that were struggling   .  Then it would be on those to squander or spend wizely.     

3 hours ago, slimt said:

Not sure.  Ive been bad for spending money on items I didnt need that were over priced.      And it did not take a lottery.  Now if that was the case. I think I would share the loot to people that were struggling   .  Then it would be on those to squander or spend wizely.     

You just sit down to play your new guitar - all the mowers, howers, blowvacs and steam cleaners are having lunch - and there is banging on your front door...

”Uncle Slim, Uncle Slim, I need some more money!”

”What happened to the 5 mil I gave you?”

”I lost it..”

Then later, you sit down with your handmade masterpiece by Ren , appreciate the nice finishes and are about to pluck it for a while before dinner and the phone rings.......”Slim, old mate, can you lend us a few bucks?”

So you move out and don’t tell anyone you bought the place on the sandhill by the ocean. You pick up your 50, 000 year old bit of wood guitar, take it out to the deck as it looks a nice day for strumming a driftwood guitar at the ocean.  You pluck a note to start tuning it and you hear yelling........”Help, help, help!” And you have to try and rescue someone drowning in the ocean out front of your house with their boat sinking....nobody lives anywhere around for miles! And you manage to drag this old bloke to shore and then notice that it is J45Nick from the guitar forum...... “Aha, found you” he splutters, “I was hoping you would give me your old Gibson J45, and maybe spare me a couple of bucks?”

😐

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

6 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

You just sit down to play your new guitar - all the mowers, howers, blowvacs and steam cleaners are having lunch - and there is banging on your front door...

”I lost it..”

Then later, you sit down with your handmade masterpiece by Ren , appreciate the nice finishes and are about to pluck it for a while before dinner and the phone rings.......”Slim, old mate, can you lend us a few bucks?”

So you move out and don’t tell anyone you bought the place on the sandhill by the ocean. You pick up your 50, 000 year old bit of wood guitar, take it out to the deck as it looks a nice day for strumming a driftwood guitar at the ocean.  You pluck a note to start tuning it and you hear yelling........”Help, help, help!” And you have to try and rescue someone drowning in the ocean out front of your house with their boat sinking....nobody lives anywhere around for miles! And you manage to drag this old bloke to shore and then notice that it is J45Nick from the guitar forum...... “Aha, found you” he splutters, “I was hoping you would give me your old Gibson J45, and maybe spare me a couple of bucks?”

😐

BluesKing777.

🙂

13 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

”I lost it..”

😐

BluesKing777.

Heh, heh, heh !

43 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

”I lost it..”

😐

BluesKing777.

BluesKing777,

You really gotta stop sniffing that fretboard conditioner liquid.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

BluesKing777,

You really gotta stop sniffing that fretboard conditioner liquid.

RBSinTo

It was good though.   The last guitar I bought was a 00042 39 authentic. But I sure didnt pay the 9000 plus.    

I'd be happy with a mid-1970's Epiphone FT-145 Texan. 
Just like the old used one I held at Guitar Center a few seasons ago. 

I liked it a lot, and deliberated about purchasing it. 
Went home to think on it a bit, to avoid another 'impulse buy'. 

I returned to the store the next day with cash in hand, and it was gone. 

😑

1 hour ago, jedzep said:

Better sounding guitar than the SCruz kauri, to my ear. This discussion pushes me in the direction of selling off a few to buy a single better guitar. As I tell family and friends, I bought my last guitar 3 guitars ago.

Slippery slope!

Does the bling on the Martin make it sound better, or is there better materials and construction under that bling?

Nought to do with that, but have you tried a Martin CEO7, JZ?  Mine is 5 years or more old but It came with the Martin slightly high but playable setup.....which is fine. But recently I had it setup, plus a Trinity pickup (K&K plus mic). Luthier kept saying it is a great guitar....hey, that is a great guitar. That’s because he made it play like a dream! Strange guitar, L-00 made by Martin, nice set of mahogany plus an Adi top, mod V neck like the Clapton. It was in the movie recently, Yesterday! 

BluesKing777.

Being hardcore anti-bling, that would normally detract from my opinion, also, I wouldn't count on a presenter's sound setup on YT to necessarily be an accurate translator of tone.

I hear good things about the CEO-7, and your stamp of approval carries weight in my house.

I can't believe I'm even talking about buying another freekin' guitar.

26 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Being hardcore anti-bling, that would normally detract from my opinion, also, I wouldn't count on a presenter's sound setup on YT to necessarily be an accurate translator of tone.

I hear good things about the CEO-7, and your stamp of approval carries weight in my house.

I can't believe I'm even talking about buying another freekin' guitar.

Well, you in the wrong forum if you want to sell guitars, that is for sure!

Luthier says my CEO7 is really great, it is, but when I first got it the Adi top was so hard and the action a touch high, that I nearly took it back. A lot of new Martins still sound brand new when they are 20 years old! I thought the CEO7 was never going to break in, and then one recently, picked it up and......Hello! So I recommend one 5 years old and played hard, could be a beast! Weird thing does my head in...L.00 shape, V neck, like playing a 30s Gibson except it sounds like a Martin..err with a Gibson touch. (Slope shoulder). Very intriguing.

BluesKing777.

4 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

DickAllgire from UMGF - arguing with his wife over Martin 000-45EC:

BluesKing777.

Sheesh! That's just a 42, not a 45. No abalone on the back. Not enough bling for me.

However, there are original 1930s 000-45s out there, if you can find them. And they aren't cluttered up with EC's signature on the fretboard.

Might as well keep my 000-28 EC, and spend the money on something else.

45 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Sheesh! That's just a 42, not a 45. No abalone on the back. Not enough bling for me.

However, there are original 1930s 000-45s out there, if you can find them. And they aren't cluttered up with EC's signature on the fretboard.

I mainly posted the link because of the wife in the video, just going about her normal day, emptying stuff in the bin and fluffing round the kitchen and the ‘Yes dear, just go buy it’.......Acting, pure acting, eh?

More like ‘buy that geetar and don’t come back?

Oh and a bling free Lotto buy could be the whole Martin range of Authentics! That would be fun comparisons, at home.

BluesKing777.

1 hour ago, j45nick said:

I have a Std 000-28 and it is a bad a-ss MF'er. I can't imagine holding that. 

Depending on what kind of things you play, the Authentics are superb.......the concept is to make a new version as close to possible to the original guitar. Worthless if you only play C or D chords, but incredible if you play the whole neck. I still have my OM18V, which for all intents and purposes is the same size, shape as my OM18 Authentic. The V is a great guitar but the A is that same thing on steroids - dig in to the A and notes LEAP out at you!

Gibson’s version of the Martin Authentic idea is currently the Historic Series. I can’t comment as I have not seen one here yet, but what I said earlier about owning the whole row of Martin Authentics could apply to the Historics - win the Lotto and but the whole range to try next to each other!

BluesKing777.

I got an email from the Lottery people saying I have won $11.20. Whoopee.

I have been playing Lotto online for a few years now.... I suppose the cynical would say they wait for everybody's numbers to get computerized and then search for some numbers nobody has.....😫

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

47 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Awesome! Kick in another dollar and you can grab a set of D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings.

See...you're not a loser.

I was going to post the same thing.  But got destracted.     😄

Edited by slimt

• 3 weeks later...