Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!!!

rct

That is cool - I had not heard of that model with three noiseless pickups.  Congrats and enjoy.

Now when you remove the 5 way switch, and put in a 3 way, how do you wire it up?  Or what is the result I guess is what I'm trying to ask?  In this case with 3 pickups will each switch position correspond to a pickup or will there be some blending of the pickups.  I know you have done this with Strats too, and that you are not a fan of the "quack" so curious how it comes out or how you set up the switch/pickup configuration? 

Three way just like the pickups.  If you want "quack" or blend, you have to stick the switch where it doesn't belong and hold it with a match, that usually worked when I was a kid.

By the time Fender got all 5 way switchy the quack thing was long gone.

I use them front to back, rarely the middle.  When I reach down and move it, sometimes rather brusquely, I want it to go where I want it, not hang out at some 2 or 4 spot, spots that I never use.

Now, get off my lawn.

rct

1 hour ago, rct said:

Three way just like the pickups.  If you want "quack" or blend, you have to stick the switch where it doesn't belong and hold it with a match, that usually worked when I was a kid.

I use them front to back, rarely the middle.  When I reach down and move it, sometimes rather brusquely, I want it to go where I want it, not hang out at some 2 or 4 spot, spots that I never use.

Now, get off my lawn.

rct

It don't get Fender Quack. I never liked the bridge pup on any guitar I've owned. I was neck or both or neck and middle with a Strat (guy). I had a Strat with Noiseless pups and they are damn noiseless for singles.

The fun of what came to be called "quack" was that we shouldn't be doing it.  Them switches were strong and wanted to be in either the middle or the back, so when you got it just right and jammed something in there to hold it for a song or three, it was a victory over the evil Fender Machine.

Then it just got old.  Even EC didn't use it nearly as much as legend would have you believe.

rct

4 hours ago, rct said:

Now, get off my lawn.

rct

Love both RC, The guitar, happy playing as I'm sure you will and that  M1 Garand to order punk kids to "Get Off My Lawn."  Funny though? For some reason, None have ever dared to step on our lawn? Lol.

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It don't get Fender Quack. I never liked the bridge pup on any guitar I've owned. I was neck or both or neck and middle with a Strat (guy). I had a Strat with Noiseless pups and they are damn noiseless for singles.

I've used neck pickups exclusively for years. 

That's changing though. It used to be that I set up my rig for the neck pickup, and gigged that way all the time. At home I didn't bother to plug in when practicing so it didn't matter.

Especially now, with no gigs and no other outlet to play, I've been using the THR30 home amp I got this year and enjoying all sorts of tones other than my preferred ones. Yes, and using the bridge PUs too. I've even ventured a little more into higher gain (strange territory for me). Also, with that amp, everything is noiseless. I've been enjoying the he11 out of it.

Lots of time last few days in my stuff.  Great guitar, really fun to play.  The pickups are just terrific, different from other Fender Noiseless I have used in the past.  I may try a set of these in my blue Two Tone Tele, they are that interesting.

All in all a keeper.  Thanks for the good wishes folks, and I hope you are enjoying Thanksgiving.

rct

• 2 weeks later...

Done!

Out with the locking tooners, in with regular old American Standards.  Straplocks, White Pearl guard and knobs, 3 way switch, ElekktroSokket jack.  Just needs a set up and intonate.  It's a performance machine:

Nashville4.jpg

Even able to hack my neck plate on to it with not too much trouble:

Nashville5.jpg

rct

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice RCT!

I have to say, I thought the black pg looked good. But the pearly one looks better! 

Happy you are enjoying those new pickups. It's great when you find a set that you really like in a guitar that you really like!  😄

I tried similar, called Hot Noiseless, in a strat.  Not at all like these.  I can see the 1 meg pots needed to make them sound like this, so I'll be duplicating this in a pair for my blue Tele, see how it works out. 

rct

• Like 1

Telecasters are good guitars.  So many classic riffs and lead parts, by some of the best guitarists, have been recorded with one.

I actually own three of them.

Thant's a good looking guitar RCT.  Pick long and prosper with that!!!😊

rFPoZ2El.jpg

Edited by Californiaman
Clarity related to the post
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2020 at 9:18 PM, rct said:

Nice all around junky Mexican Tele that needs nothing but a White Pearl guard.  And straplocks.  A jack.  And a three way switch, I hate 5 way switches by any name.

rct

How did you wire those 3 pickups to the 3-way switch? 

I was always under the impression, that only USA-made Fenders are any good. Nice knowing the Mexican ones are not inferior as manufacturing goes (with a correctly shaped neck, properly cut and polished frets, etc)!

17 minutes ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

I was always under the impression, that only USA-made Fenders are any good. Nice knowing the Mexican ones are not inferior as manufacturing goes (with a correctly shaped neck, properly cut and polished frets, etc)!

The Japan Fugi-gen built are excellent as well

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

I wired it neck middle bridge, single out to single tone.  I don't use the middle very much, if at all.

You have labored long under the wrong impression my friend!

rct

• Thanks 1