Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1988

Juliana

Hello!

I'm planning to acquire a Gibson Les Paul Standard 1988 (Cherry Sunburst). The seller informed that pickups of this guitar was changed by a pair of a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover, cause originals were broken. 
In adiction, this guitar is well preserved.
Does this guitar worth? 
I already own a Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Plus.

Thank you all!

43 minutes ago, IanHenry said:

Hello Juliana, and welcome to the forum.

It's a little difficult to answer you question without seeing it, could you post pictures?

Hi IanHenry! Thank you.

Sure! I only have this pic of the guitar. It was posted on Instagram. 

PSFix_20201123_084907.jpeg

What does “well preserved” mean I wonder. Looks nice but does all the stuff on it work - especially truss rod? How are the frets looking - worn down and square-like? It has neck binding so a refret would be costly. Pickups were replaced so hows the wiring and other electronics? Tuning machines work good? Aside from that, consider these things in the cost of the guitar of anything is wrong. If the truss rod don’t work or neck can’t be made straight, walk away. Even cracks and breaks that have been repaired I’m sketchy about. Anything else you generally can fix up without “major” cost given you know a good luthier - or have “skills”. It’s an older guitar being 32 years old or so therefore you will probably have something to address. Again, take this into consideration when agreeing to a price. 

2 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

What does “well preserved” mean I wonder. Looks nice but does all the stuff on it work - especially truss rod? How are the frets looking - worn down and square-like? It has neck binding so a refret would be costly. Pickups were replaced so hows the wiring and other electronics? Tuning machines work good? Aside from that, consider these things in the cost of the guitar of anything is wrong. If the truss rod don’t work or neck can’t be made straight, walk away. Even cracks and breaks that have been repaired I’m sketchy about. Anything else you generally can fix up without “major” cost given you know a good luthier - or have “skills”. It’s an older guitar being 32 years old or so therefore you will probably have something to address. Again, take this into consideration when agreeing to a price. 

Hello NighthawkChris

Well preserved means the guitar is well maintained. Sorry for my mistake, haha 😊 Frets looking well, tuning machines working, etc.
You're right! They're important things I have to notice.

Thank you for your advices!

Juliana, I suspect someone more knowledgeable than I will post a better estimate of what the value of the guitar is, but I think it's of an age where some would class it as a "vintage" instrument and as it ages the value will only appreciate.

I hope someone with more understanding of values helps with this, but don't forget different country's markets have different values, it's supply and demand.

The guitar certainly looks very nice!

Good luck 

It looks good in the photo, and you will certainly enjoy it more than the Studio model you own.  Nothing wrong with Seth Lover pickups.  But until you play it you won't know how it feels and sounds.  Keep in mind you can buy a brand new either 50s or 60s model Les Paul with a lifetime warranty for less than the asking price of this guitar.

2 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

It looks good in the photo, and you will certainly enjoy it more than the Studio model you own.  Nothing wrong with Seth Lover pickups.  But until you play it you won't know how it feels and sounds.  Keep in mind you can buy a brand new either 50s or 60s model Les Paul with a lifetime warranty for less than the asking price of this guitar.

Hi Twang Gang!

Thank you for advices! You're right, I must play this guitar.
Here in Brazil prices are higher than in US. To give you an idea, here a new Gibson Les Paul Standard costs about U$ 4.937. 
Maybe the 80's guitar needs a repair sooner or later.

On 11/23/2020 at 11:44 PM, Juliana said:

jdgm

Thanks! Not yet... I hope to play this week.

It costs approximately U$ 2756 (USD) or R$ 15.000 (BRL).

What do you think about it? 

I am in the UK and the asking price works out at £2062.....high but not unreasonable over here.  Many people would make an offer a bit lower, to try and get it below £2000.  But if you had to pay the full price it would still be a lovely guitar and well worth it if you liked it. 

Would be appreciably less in the USA!

Does it have a case included?

39 minutes ago, jdgm said:

I am in the UK and the asking price works out at £2062.....high but not unreasonable over here.  Many people would make an offer a bit lower, to try and get it below £2000.  But if you had to pay the full price it would still be a lovely guitar and well worth it if you liked it. 

Would be appreciably less in the USA!

Does it have a case included?

It was good to know that. There the value is practically the same as here.
I hope it have a discount, haha. 

That is a good question! I believe so. I saw new pictures of it with a case. 

Edited by Juliana

I didn't realize these guitars were that expensive now.

I have that same EXACT guitar,but mine is a '89 Standard.

I picked up mine at a pawnshops a few years ago for $993  in amazing condition,  and it was in original condition with OHSC.

Here's a pic of mine.

12697341043_979caf2abc_b.jpg