Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning Machines

michaelnel

Hello

I just bought my first ever Gibson ES, a 2019 ES 335 in Antique Faded Cherry.  I actually have not even seen it in person yet, as it is on The Brown Santa's truck for delivery to me today.  It has the Grover tuners.  Reading about these guitars, it seems lots of folks want the tuners they don't have.  Guys with the Kluson vintage ones want the Grovers, guys with the Grovers want the Klusons.

The grass is always greener?

Congrats on the new 335!

Personally, I find Grovers to be more consistent in their construction, as compared to the assorted manufacturers Gibson has used over the years to supply their Kluson style tulip tuners.  Stick with the Grovers, and you'll probably be happy.  However, if you really like the look of tulip buttons, check out the buttons available from Hipshot.  Most of them will fit Grovers, including their version of the tulip style.

Enjoy!  

I don't think it matters one way or the other.  I've owned a lot of Gibsons with Kluson or Gibson Deluxe (which look exactly like Kluson) and I've owned a few more modern ones with Grovers and none them ever had a problem.  Many people, including me, had Gibsons that didn't want to stay in tune, but it was always a problem with the nut not being filed quite right, never the tuners slipping.  The Grover locking tuners are the most convenient for restringing and I prefer them if they are available on the model of guitar I want.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 10:37 PM, dacquin.laurent said:

Hello,

i just start play guitar. (es335tdc)

It seems volume controle are gain control, is that right?

What must i do to manage just volume ?

Thank you

Not really gain. 

Basically the pickup volume controls on your guitar are subtractive.  When vol is full up, the pickup is fully open, and when you turn it down it is gradually turning it off.  Like a tap. 

A very good idea on a nice ES335 is to turn your amplifier up a little more than you normally would and have the pickup volume on around 5 or 6 to start.  If you do this right - and it will take a bit of trial and error - when you turn the pickup volume to full it will not add (so much) volume, but a touch more signal and push your amp into mild overdrive while subjectively keeping about the same volume. 

Or you can go another way; I like to have my guitar volume on full all the time as that means I am getting the best signal possible out of the pickup. Then I use a volume pedal to control what is going to the amp. 

Good luck!

Edited by jdgm