Gibson Brands Forums

Nitrocellulose Safe Guitar Stand

Connic01

Please excuse this newbie question, but does a nitrocellulose safe guitar stand exist and, if so, where can I get one? I have read about modifying an existing foam stand with cotton athletic tape and dish towels, but want to know if there is a stand that is good right out of the box.

My gibson's live in one of two places... Its case or on my knee... I have two little boys running around! Not worth that neck break... Most guys here put a duster or cotton socks on the bottom of there stands..

Looks pony!

Flight959

What you've read so far is dead right. A foam stand safe for nitro is like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny....

I've posted these pics a million times, I don't mind posting them again.

3374000155_1c52f043ea.jpg?v=0

Mother in law cut up a cotton bath towel and sewed Velcro on it.

Made the wraps and even the little pieces to wrap the stand fingers on the top.

Cheap insurance.

By the time stand damage is done to your finish bad enough you can see it - too late.

No polishing, no crying, nothing will fix it.

I have a Les Paul and a 335 that show the results of less than a year on a "good, nitro finish-safe" stand.

Hard to see, it's too subtle to photograph, but it's there - and I'll always know it.

• 4 years later...

sorry to revive a five-year old thread, but because of the posts averring that there's no nitro-safe foam, including the stuff that Hercules uses, I thought I'd add this comment from Gibson that I just received:

Hercules stands are indeed safe to use! That is the brand that we use here in the office.

sorry to revive a five-year old thread, but because of the posts averring that there's no nitro-safe foam, including the stuff that Hercules uses, I thought I'd add this comment from Gibson that I just received:

Hercules stands are indeed safe to use! That is the brand that we use here in the office.

I use a Hercules w.my '88 LP (older nitro's likely safer than fresh) and my '10 SG Std. with no ill effects.

that said, NOT ALL black "hard foam" is safe because I hung my '07 V in a wallhanger that was supposedly "safe"....and I now have 2 bare spots on the underside of the headstock. [cursing]

Guest Farnsbarns

Hercules retracted their nitro safe claim ages ago. They're not 100% safe.

Hercules retracted their nitro safe claim ages ago. They're not 100% safe.

Not 100%, but this is hardly a retraction, just a caution:

• HERCULES had conducted numerous experiments on our SFF foam and is pleased to find that it does not react with most of the guitar finishes in the market, including Nitrocellulose. The tests included subjecting the instruments on the stand to heat, cold and normal temperatures for periods of up to six months without movement.

However, each manufacturer has their own formulation of Nitrocellulose, with differing proportions of the chemicals involved. There are literally thousands of different variations of lacquer in use today, making it impossible to test them all. Therefore, to provide your valuable guitars with the best support, we recommend you to refer to your instrument's owners manual for more information regarding the proper storage of your instrument.

(
http://www.herculesstands.com/faq.html)

Gibson seems to think Hercules stands are safe for their own nitro-finished instruments.

I use a Hercules w.my '88 LP (older nitro's likely safer than fresh) and my '10 SG Std. with no ill effects.

that said, NOT ALL black "hard foam" is safe because I hung my '07 V in a wallhanger that was supposedly "safe"....and I now have 2 bare spots on the underside of the headstock. [cursing]

Was that wallhanger a Hercules too, or another brand?

Guest Farnsbarns

Not 100%, but this is hardly a retraction, just a caution:

• HERCULES had conducted numerous experiments on our SFF foam and is pleased to find that it does not react with most of the guitar finishes in the market, including Nitrocellulose. The tests included subjecting the instruments on the stand to heat, cold and normal temperatures for periods of up to six months without movement.

However, each manufacturer has their own formulation of Nitrocellulose, with differing proportions of the chemicals involved. There are literally thousands of different variations of lacquer in use today, making it impossible to test them all. Therefore, to provide your valuable guitars with the best support, we recommend you to refer to your instrument's owners manual for more information regarding the proper storage of your instrument.

(
http://www.herculesstands.com/faq.html)

Gibson seems to think Hercules stands are safe for their own nitro-finished instruments.

I know at least one person who learned the hard way that Gibson are wrong.

I sadly also had to find out that Hercules stands are not nitro-safe.

Two years ago I radically switched to these linked below. My precious instruments are worth them to me.

I own two of these:

http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Stands-and-accessories-for-instruments/Fretted-instruments/17513-Three-guitar-stand-Guardian-3-black-with-translucent-support-elements

and two of these:

http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Stands-and-accessories-for-instruments/Fretted-instruments/17515-Five-guitar-stand-Guardian-5-black-with-translucent-support-elements

For those who want to save space, don't use the stand for acoustics, don't own vintage or Floyd Rose vibrato instruments, and don't need that much room for the straps left attached to the guitars, this one might be fine, too:

http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Stands-and-accessories-for-instruments/Fretted-instruments/17525-Five-e-guitar-stand-Guardian-5-black-with-translucent-support-elements