Gibson Brands Forums

How Are You Spending Your Thanksgiving Holiday?

fortyearspickn

A unique holiday that traditionally has brought us closer together as families and Americans,  this year is different.  Even different than during The Great Depression, The Spanish Flu, WWII ....  We are being told to 'shelter in place'  for the holiday, but we hear of scores of mayors and governors who threaten us with fines and jail time if we don't follow their 'guidelines' - who get caught ignoring them.    Maybe we, here,  can  come together with some positive, reconciling anecdotes about what we're planning for this day - or what we've done on prior holidays.  

This year,, we are getting together with our two of our sons, whose families we regularly have visited with over the past months.   My fondest memory of earlier celebrations - back when I was 19 or 20, driving into Brooklyn  to pick up my grandmother and great aunt to bring them to our home for the day.  They would always have a glass of sherry.  They had a lot to  be thankful for:   Together, in the early 1920s,  they brought my father and his sister as toddlers over from England/Ireland to find a new life here.  Me?   I am thankful that I've lived long enough to realize how much I have to be thankful for.   Maybe that will be what I say when I am called on to say Grace at our meal later today.    

Very nice 40yr. Enjoy.

I try to spend every holiday as if holidays weren't invented, except for the appreciation that it's a day off from work. I like to be a little celebratory every day, and will use any excuse to have a big meal with friends/family.

Having a Native American family member has changed my view of Thanksgiving forever, but I don't begrudge people who use specific commemorative dates to celebrate. It's all noise and clutter to me, especially Xmas.

I'll probably drink too much coffee and try to spray a period correct logo on the headstock of my '36 L00 project, then make a big Italian supper and have too much red wine, while hoping my hands are having a 'good playing day'.

Edited by jedzep
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I spent my Thanksgiving holiday at home with my wife and son. However, earlier in the day, I acquired a 2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic Gold Top with P90s. Last year, I purchased a Gretsch Historic Series Prototype for $465. In September of this year, I traded it for an American Strat with lace sensor pickups. Five days later, I traded the Strat for an American Professional Telecaster. I liked it but didn't love it so I decided to posted it on Craigslist. Thanksgiving morning, a guy in my town contacted me and said he has several Les Paul Standards and a Classic and he was looking for a Telecaster. We ended up doing an even trade, his Gold Top for my Telecaster. I immediately noticed how much heavier it is than my Traditional. I could definitely tell that it has non weight relief body. This is by far the best sounding Les Paul I have ever owned or played. 

Guitar In Case 2.jpg

34 minutes ago, Kmonk said:

I spent my Thanksgiving holiday at home with my wife and son. However, earlier in the day, I acquired a 2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic Gold Top with P90s. Last year, I purchased a Gretsch Historic Series Prototype for $465. In September of this year, I traded it for an American Strat with lace sensor pickups. Five days later, I traded the Strat for an American Professional Telecaster. I liked it but didn't love it so I decided to posted it on Craigslist. Thanksgiving morning, a guy in my town contacted me and said he has several Les Paul Standards and a Classic and he was looking for a Telecaster. We ended up doing an even trade, his Gold Top for my Telecaster. I immediately noticed how much heavier it is than my Traditional. I could definitely tell that it has non weight relief body. This is by far the best sounding Les Paul I have ever owned or played. 

Guitar In Case 2.jpg

Nice. Looks like mine, So is it a keeper?