Gibson Brands Forums

Your favorite guitarist ever!!!

jrseriel

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting a couple of people named Elvis and Johnny Cash? Whilst I love both these artists, I never considered either to be good guitarists. Elvis used the guitar more as a prop than an instrument if you get what I mean?...and Johnny played so basically I never thought of him as a great player either. They were singers in my mind, not guitar players. As I said I am a fan of both, it's just they never impressed me guitar wise. For a great country player check out Joe Maphis [smile]

Hey why does everybody list EVERY single guitarist they've ever liked? (Or just every classic rock guitarist and a few modern ones it's "OK to like")

The thread asked for your "Favorite Guitarist Ever!!!"

My favorite guitarist is Robert Fripp. He's my favorite because I like him the most.

That wasn't so hard.

I agree; "Your favorite guitarist [singular] ever!!!"

My favorite is Peter Green, period.

Today, that is. Ask me again tomorrow. Tomorrow it may be Mike Bloomfield or Clapton or....

I agree; "Your favorite guitarist [singular] ever!!!"

My favorite is Peter Green, period.

Today, that is. Ask me again tomorrow. Tomorrow it may be Mike Bloomfield or Clapton or....

And there's the answer right there— because it can change on any given day. So, we post all the ones who occupy the top spot at one time or another.

• 10 months later...

Interesting a couple of people named Elvis and Johnny Cash? Whilst I love both these artists, I never considered either to be good guitarists. Elvis used the guitar more as a prop than an instrument if you get what I mean?...and Johnny played so basically I never thought of him as a great player either. They were singers in my mind, not guitar players. As I said I am a fan of both, it's just they never impressed me guitar wise. For a great country player check out Joe Maphis [smile]

thank you

thank you

thank you

excellent point. lots of people say cobain too, and i throw up in my mouth a little every single time they do. ditto for calling mcartney a great bassist.

but on topic, i will post a single name, whom i notice is sorely absent in this thread

RITCHIE FRICKIN BLACKMORE

without him, many of the other guys on the other lists would never have made it.

"...excellent point. lots of people say cobain too, and i throw up in my mouth a little every single time they do. ditto for calling mcartney a great bassist."

that's cos the question asked for a favourite, not best/greatest.

Throw up all you want, but if Cobain or McCartney is someone's favourite, so what?, they ain't making a case for greatness of technical ability here.

...I know this is an old topic, but just joined and felt the need to reply...

Oh, nonsense, Midnight. Your post follows-on a mere 10 months after the previous post so is still relatively fresh!

Not like the 7+ years between posts #49 & #50!

Glad you are enjoying it here and yes; it is a great place to hang around.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Favorite ever: Ace Frehley - hearing him play on Alive! when I was 10 years old, seeing the makeup, the guitars, the sound and then seeing him live a few years later did it for me. I'd have to list him as the favorite just because of how long I've been listening to him and a fan.

Other influences include:

Randy Rhoads - Wow. This guy was amazing. I worked for years back in the 80's to learn a lot of his songs and style. I still play quite a few of his songs, even to this day, and the Blizzard of Ozz album is one of my go to "play along with" albums.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - I could listen to him play all day.

Roy Buchanan - I just like the way he plays.

Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Angus, Richrath, Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, KK Downing, Glenn Tipton, Neil Schon, Steve Vai, Al Di Meola, Christopher Parkening (classical), BB King, Brian May, Roy Clark and Johnny Cash were all early influences in the 70's and 80's for me. There's probably more I'm missing but those are the big ones I can recall.

I also have to mention one of my guitar teachers from the 80's and 90's, just because he's cool, an amazing guitarist, and super nice guy, Eric Loy. Most of the times our "lessons" would be just the two of us playing together, teaching each other things, listening and talking. He would teach me some things, I'd teach him some things and we'd just play, laugh and have fun.

Scott Henderson today, maybe Bumblefoot tomorrow, it's a never ending cycle, that includes many already mentioned here.

Tribal Tech are though one incredibly tight group, Having seen them live it seems strange to me that they have never released a live album. Still time though.

Jazz Fusion may not be everybody's "cup of tea", But Henderson has always allowed the blues that he exhibits so well on his solo albums to blend into the mix with TT.

"...excellent point. lots of people say cobain too, and i throw up in my mouth a little every single time they do. ditto for calling mcartney a great bassist."

that's cos the question asked for a favourite, not best/greatest.

Throw up all you want, but if Cobain or McCartney is someone's favourite, so what?, they ain't making a case for greatness of technical ability here.

https://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k

Archived