Gibson Brands Forums

The Studio club

jrseriel

I have a question that might go along with the weight questions above.....

I am looking at a studio to buy and it is listed as a "Studio Lite"

They mention balsa wood insert, etc..........not real concerned with overall weight, but wondered what they are all about and most importantly, do they sound as well as "regular" studios?

Thanks,

NHTom

I have a question that might go along with the weight questions above.....

I am looking at a studio to buy and it is listed as a "Studio Lite"

They mention balsa wood insert, etc..........not real concerned with overall weight, but wondered what they are all about and most importantly, do they sound as well as "regular" studios?

Thanks,

NHTom

I know that these guitars have cavities inside or so-called "tone chambers" that are filled with balsa. On different forums i red that Gibson Studios are varying in weigth and it depends on the density of the wood. Mine is Gibson LP Studio 1995 and it weights slightly heavier than new studios wich i've tried in a musical shop. Anyway Gibson has prooved it's quality and most likely they guitars sound great. The most important thing for me when i try a guitar is to understand if i like the sound and how it feels in hands or not, and if it sounds great even if it's light...so what? Plug it and play =)

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some pics of my Gibson Les Paul Studio. I have had it for about 24 years. It has been sitting in a closet at my parents house for the last 12 years. The white stars and stripes have turned yellow. I am a bit sad about that. This is an original paint job. I have not seen another one like it. It came with a black pick guard, but I never attached it. I am not sure why it was not already attached when I bought it. If anyone has any information on this guitar I would really appreciate it. All I remember from when we bought it is that there was some paperwork that came with it stating that it was either 1 of 25 or 1 of 250 or something like that.

VERY COOL!!!

I believe these were part of the Designer Series from the mid 80's.

designerad_zps2cd652b8.jpg

I have one of the explorers from this series (in my avatar), and would give up a first born for one of the union jack explorers!!

NHTom

• 4 weeks later...

This is my 1987 Studio Standard. These were made for a few years in the 80s. These have a bound body and fretboard like a Standard, but have dot fretboard inlays and a slightly thinner body than a Standard. Original bulletproof "chainsaw" case too. Guitar is in amazing condition and plays and sounds great.vIMG_2568.jpgvIMG_2569.jpgIMG_2572.jpgIMG_2575.jpg

I wish Gibson would look at the pictures of this guitar and then compare to all the plain looking ones in the current catalogs.......

Beautiful looking, very classy, I know the "relic" "worn" stuff is the trend now, but I'd grab one of these in a hearbeat.

NHTom

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1991 Les Paul Studio Lite, loaded with Classic 57/57+, 50's wiring and vintage tone caps.

she's a tone monster and only 8lbs..

a3ld78.jpg

very nice. This one the the next one (down). I have a 95 Studio Lite and although I'd like to own more LP's, I can't be disloyal. It's like cheating and I can't do it.

I've owned a 77 standard and a 90 custom BB but the studio lite is the one I kept. It makes me sound better than I am.

Got a blank truss rod cover for my LP! (can't believe they charge 10 euros for a small piece of plastic!)

Hello Wild_Rose!

Because it's a "bench tested, builder approved" article. :D

By the way: that guitar still looks shiny and new - judging by the headstock! You take good care of it. [thumbup]

Best wishes... Bence

• 2 weeks later...

thanks wildrose

I wish we lived closer.....mine has the blank truss rod cover and I want to put it back to the "studio" one it came with.........we could have just traded and save each other some money.....lol.

NHTom

I've got a Studio Deluxe, I think the difference with the regular studio is the Coil Taps. I made a few cosmetic mods (Still haven't installed the pick guard though).

Hmm, I see the attachment links here, but the pictures are not showing up.....

Picked this one up for our 9yo son for Christmas. He's been playing acoustic for a couple years now so we decided to go electric. Studio Deluxe Iced tea. HMMM, looks like the back is straight grain? Imo a nice guitar for a good price. There seems to be a lot of value here particularly for for someone just starting into electric. Hopefully this won't be his last Gibson. Ps. sorry for the crappy pics. The dark spot on the bottom left is just a shadow.

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Looks like the "light burst color" very sharp guitar

I have been meaning to post on this forum in this club for a while..I am sick for Les Paul Studios, specifically from the '90s to 2001 because of the sound, playability, and build quality not to forget the brown cases with the pink poodle lining that match the interior of my '96 Mercury Grand Marquis (crazy 'bout a Mercury). Here's a pic, from left to right: 2001, wine red, thin body, small trap inlays, gold Grovers, darker sound; 2000, cherry red, thin body, small traps, gold Grovers, bright sound (go figure?); 1993 wine red, full thickness body, full traps, gold vintage tuners, ebony board, brighter sound; 1993 Studio Lite, cherry burst, ebony board, way hot stock pickups (500T/496R) and therefore not as versatile as the others (but the neck pickup through British tubes is pure bliss!) which all have stock 498T/490R pickups but all sound different. Love them all..

lespaulcollection_zps2a22cd1a.jpg

Then I found this one on craigslist a couple of months ago and it was for sale by a neighbor one block away! Could I resist o brothers? 2001 but full size body. Stock 498T/490R pickups.

lp1_zps91c880aa.jpg

I appreciate the opportunity to share my sickness, take care all..

I know what you mean about the brown cases with pink lining..........lol.

Just something about them that always makes me want to see what's in them. Kind of a "hmmm....what ya got there?" thing. I was thrilled when I recently got my 97 Studio Gem (see above) and they agreed to "throw in a hard case". I figured it was going to be something cheesy, but it was a brown Gibson USA one.

NHTom

• 4 weeks later...

My 2012 ebony Studio, the only one I could find in my area with a 60's neck (I have small hands) I really wanted a burst, but ebony looks so good on a LP also. I'm thinking about going totally black with this sometime in the future, but that's a few projects down the road.

my2012LesPaulStudio.jpg

• 2 weeks later...