Gibson Brands Forums

Black Friday deals...or lack of

saturn

Is it only my perception, or where there really no Earth shattering deals this season? I was naively thinking that with the state of the economy, and the Guitar Center situation and such that there would be all kinds of competition on deals. I just didn't see much. Of course I got loads of emails from all the retail places boasting "up to 70% off" and crap like that, but I didn't see any deals better than any other day of the week.  And they really didn't seem eager to sell. Even Sweetwater, my sales guy emailed me saying contact him he had some good unpublished deals blah blah blah. So I contacted him regarding acoustic guitars. He just linked to a an advertised deal on Breedlove and nothing else. Went into the local GC and they didn't even have any door buster type stuff like in the past. Thought maybe I'd get some string packs or something, but not even anything like that. Looked at acoustics there too, and only one or two guitars had Black Friday tags and they were nothing to get excited over. A young dude did briefly came in to see if I needed help and non committedly said he might be able to take 15% off anything without a BF tag. Then I never saw him again. There was one guitar, an Alverez on clearance that I was actually considering, and he might have talked me into it if he ever came back to check, but no one there seemed too concerned so I walked out.  

It was similar recently when my Jeep was totaled, and I needed to purchase a new vehicle. Again, I was naïve and expected the dealers would be eager to deal. Nope. Pretty much this is the sticker, here are the incentives take it or leave it. Several dealers never even called me back after I went in to test drive a vehicle. We finally settled on a Honda and it's nice but I would have much preferred to still have my 2017 Cherokee. I even went back to that dealer, who we purchased 2 jeeps from already and they barely tried to make a sale. Never even contacted me back after I went in to inquire.     

So is it just me? 

I've done some shopping online and at stores before Friday. I have a few more things to get and it will all be on line unless I just happen to be in a store and they have what I want. My son wants a PS5 Digital Edition. Well maybe in a few years after all the hoarders buy them, and the price is the sticker price and not double  and triple the price from the tools try to flip them on flea bay.

Cyber Monday is tomorrow. Let's see how much more hoarders can horde.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Here in the UK it's a non-event because of lockdown; most of the shops are shut, so it's online and the average discount is around 15%, nowhere near 50-70%.  

There is a high degree of cynicism about it now.  You have pre-Black Friday offers, Black Friday offers that go on all weekend, then Cyber-Monday and so on.   It's not really a special event here, more of an American one that retailers in the UK picked up on in an effort to sell more - and most people in the UK are used to (and wait for) big sales starting immediately after Xmas day.  

And we are in a recession AGAIN because of the pandemic and the forthcoming Brexit, so everyone is being careful with money,  thinking "do I really need more stuff?" and making do without....IMO. 

GC's BK has been coming for a while before the Pandemic. It's not a result of Covid but poor business management. 

The Economy is booming for Housing, Cars, Guitars, Costco, Walmart, Amazon, Grocers, Facebook, Google & the like.. It's the Mom & Pop business' that are getting crushed....

The Dow just hit 30,000! The Nasdaq is soaring.... I imagine there are quite a few Companies that don't want the Lockdown to end...

Edited by Larsongs

Black Friday IMHO it's really a marking event more than it's anything else.  there are probably some deals to be had, but how much is debatable.

That said,  I ventured to Strings By Mail just to see what was going on with multi-sets of strings,  I scored a 3 back of EJ-16s, and a 3 pack of XL110s for like 36 bucks.

Nothing on the web site I recall seeing about Black Friday.

and while lars s right the economy is bouncing back, the shortages of materials and general stock in supplies is critical.

we've been having a heck of a time getting thing like refrigerators and stoves.  We're almost done the rebuild of the house form the fire in March, appliances we ordered in September are possible not even due in till February.  We had to change things around to get stuff that was either in stock, or committed to ship in the next few weeks.

Wood for flooring, plywood, good luck with that, around here, nothing available.  And what is available has doubled in price.

this pandemic has made one huge steaming pile of crap mess.

22 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Guitars this year are weird (just like everything else).

Lot of demand and not a whole heck of a lot of supply like kidblast alluded to.  

I would love to see the numbers for the manufacturer's production this year.  I'm sure they're all way down.

The trouble with much of this is high dependency on parts for even things made here that are coming from China.  While the pandemic is part of the problem,  there are other factors too.

I don't want to start a political p!ssing contest so, I'm just leaving that right there.

I have to agree with Saturn that there haven't been any really great deals on anything.  I got a zillion emails from the few places I do business with and while I am not looking for any guitars or gear I opened a few of them just to see if there might be something too good to pass up.  Nothing worth noting.

Well we received  a phone call to come test drive a Subaru which I already stated that we bought a new Subaru Ascent. It was on the last day of Black Friday so we got a big discount. It took the original price down to $4 grand off plus with my trade in of $3,000. Not too bad.  Guess we were lucky as our insurance agent has been looking for one the last 6 months and cannot find one anywhere we were told today.  He asked how in the world did you find one?  Haha. We didn't know anything about all that, I found one on the net, went there, showed it to them and it did seem a bit before they showed up with it.  

5 hours ago, Larsongs said:

My Sweetwater Rep told me this is the best year there ever had for Guitar sales.. I've also read this is the best year Fender had ever had...

I heard at one point they had topped a few million a day in sales (Sweetwater). 

not many deals in Canada, options to pay later on stuff with a 30 % price increase over last year, bought my first classical  and an acoustisonic so I could plug in the gibby.THESE were not "loto win" purchases.