Gibson Brands Forums

Gibsons

generaldreedle

Spent part of last night playing my Southern Jumbo while the wife played the Nick Lucas Maple, with light strings.  It was fun.  Both really nice guitars; the Southern Jumbo was warm and focused, the Nick Lucas has a very deep sound when fingerpicking, quite unusual.   Kind of went well together.  Anyways, just sharing a Sunday Gibson thought

• Like 1

My wife gigged in a duo before we married.  She now plays in a worship band at her church and in an all-girl band which she conned our daughter into joining on bass.   We goof around playing together but she is more likely to grab a mandolin when she has me on guitar.  We also play together at a couple of open mic affairs and when folks drop by for punch, pie and guitars with our living room being the favorite gathering spot because it houses a piano and standup bass.  The Rona, however, has put an end to both for now.   

For 20 years she has played what used to be my 1960 J200 before she claimed it as her own to which she has added a Martin D12-28 and Epiphone Broadway electric.   

Edited by zombywoof

It's been fun, but frankly a bit of a mixed bag.  My wife hasn't played consistently in a long time whereas I've been taking lessons for years and while I'm not great I'm barely competent.  So for example we are trying to play the John Fahey In Christ there is no Easy or West, a great song but a good portion of our time is spent helping her with stuff that now is second nature to me.  

On the other hand it makes me realize that my lessons have had some effect, it's still nice to play with her, and I get to hear someone play the Nick Lucas which is a really fantastic and unusual guitar.

On 11/29/2020 at 1:17 PM, generaldreedle said:

Spent part of last night playing my Southern Jumbo while the wife played the Nick Lucas Maple, with light strings.  It was fun.  Both really nice guitars; the Southern Jumbo was warm and focused, the Nick Lucas has a very deep sound when fingerpicking, quite unusual.   Kind of went well together.  Anyways, just sharing a Sunday Gibson thought

Sounds like an enjoyable evening. And I've gotta tell you- your  Nick Lucas guitar is on my short list in the Ones That Got Away file. Remembering when it was offered- priced fairly, and while I was getting my head around the idea of being ok with such an insignificant bit of finish damage from a leak from a Humidipak, on the treble side rim (you know, the part where it's only visible to one's pant leg), The General was ok with it sooner.  Good for you, and it's good to hear it's allowing you and yours to communicate on a musical level as well.

On 11/30/2020 at 10:01 AM, E-minor7 said:

I imagine the groove. At times it can be more difficult than one think to play with girlfriends and wives - the stars must stand right. Hope you nailed some harmonies. 

It can be awkward when family/friends/coworkers have never seen one's musical side, but when almost all the social circles you travel in involve doing music, it's only natural.

39 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Sounds like an enjoyable evening. And I've gotta tell you- your  Nick Lucas guitar is on my short list in the Ones That Got Away file. Remembering when it was offered- priced fairly, and while I was getting my head around the idea of being ok with such an insignificant bit of finish damage from a leak from a Humidipak, on the treble side rim (you know, the part where it's only visible to one's pant leg), The General was ok with it sooner.  Good for you, and it's good to hear it's allowing you and yours to communicate on a musical level as well.

If you get a chance to get another one I would recommend it.  It has a truly unique sound, and in the video they posted of it when it was originally sold through Wildwood the guy described it as throaty and robust.   I suppose that's as good a description as any but it has a truly deep sound in the bass notes without the resonance you would get with like a D35 or HD 28.   I suppose that's a combination of the depth at the lower bout and the Maple wood.