Gibson Brands Forums

New Jeff Beck

SteveFord

That was cool Steve, thanks for posting.  Jeff Beck has been one of my favorite guitarists to listen to for a long time.  And I see he still has that cute girl playing bass (Tal), and she can rip it up too.  I wasn't aware that Depp could sing, but he did a nice job on this.  Looks like a set list laying on the floor so they must have put a entire show together.

Beck has always been so advanced in his sounds and his playing, since the Yardbird days.  And while they were doing pretty much blues back then he always had a fresh take on the guitar parts he played.  Glad to see he is still at it, and did not let fame, and fortune screw up his life like so many others have.

Beck started playing cello when he was young, and he attacks the strings of his guitar with much the same technique,  IMO it also shows in his melodic approach to solos,  the sustain and tremelo,  use of fluid octave modulation,  very similar to classical cello, 

It also helps to have your fretboard scalloped slightly.

4 hours ago, Retired said:

Yes, from what I have seen he is a little weird. Figured it was his acting? 

Like most of those who've been around Hollywood too long, they start believing they're not quite like the rest of us.   It's a self fulfilling prophecy, because in the end, they are nothing like normal people.

What I know about Johnny Depp is next to nothing but last night he popped up on a youtube video I stumbled upon.

It was The Hollywood Vampires and there was Alice Cooper, about 80 years old, and it looks like he'll have to replace the boa constrictor with a garter snake or else he'll get beat up.  And there was Johnny Depp.  First time I ever saw someone with a Reverse Flying V but there's at least one out there in action.

He also had an Alvin Lee ES-335.  I would imagine you could still order one without the stickers.

15 hours ago, kidblast said:

Like most of those who've been around Hollywood too long, they start believing they're not quite like the rest of us.   It's a self fulfilling prophecy, because in the end, they are nothing like normal people.

Haha, I can believe that. After he did that pirate series, I heard he was walking around on the streets still dressed for the movie thinking he was a real pirate. 

9 hours ago, Retired said:

Haha, I can believe that. After he did that pirate series, I heard he was walking around on the streets still dressed for the movie thinking he was a real pirate. 

wait a sec,, you mean he wasn't a real pirate??????????

🙂

• Like 1