Gibson Brands Forums

New Jeff Beck

SteveFord

43 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

I've never latched onto JB as a musician, what I concisously knew I was listening to, it never grabbed me.  But I know the guy has skills.   If I wanted to listen to him, what's some of the best stuff to look for?

if I was you, I'd give Jeff Beck 's "Blow by Blow" album a real good listen.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

If you want to see and hear electric guitar mastery, rent the movie "Jeff Beck, Live At Ronnie Scotts".

The camera operators must have been guitar players, because often the camera is in the exact right place to see Jeff do something amazing.

Being a sax player that was 'almost famous', I've had the luck to be able to play alongside of some of the best guitar players in the industry. My jaw doesn't drop easily. When I saw the Ronnie Scott video, and Jeff was doing things like using the slide above the fretboard, using the whammy to play discreet and in tune notes, using his little finger on the volume knob for expressing while doing something else extremely difficult with his right hand, I was floored.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 1

Blow By Blow (Instrumental), Wired (Instrumental) , Beck-Ola (Rod Stewart on vocals), Truth (Rod Stewart on vocals). Not to familiar with his Yardbird days. The Jeff Beck Group self titled album is good too and the one before it Rough And Ready. I can't remember who sang on those.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Blow By Blow (Instrumental), Wired (Instrumental) , Beck-Ola (Rod Stewart on vocals), Truth (Rod Stewart on vocals). Not to familiar with his Yardbird days. The Jeff Beck Group self titled album is good too and the one before it Rough And Ready. I can't remember who sang on those.

I like him on Beck, Bogert, and Appice too

For Jeff Beck, his "Wired" and "Blow By Blow" albums are at the top of the heap.   Just behind that, I would put the often-overlooked yet awesome "There and Back" album, and then the "Jeff Beck Live With Jan Hammer" album very close behind.  The other suggestions listed are no less than great, too.  For someone just getting into Jeff Beck, make sure to AVOID his recent "Emotion and Commotion" and "Loud Hailer" albums.  "Loud Hailer" is likely the worst thing he has ever done.

SSxm5o3K_zdzFV2pfw2bzCbDoCCTsRpQjxOLOFfd

• Like 1

That picture right fukking there is why a couple million of us do this yes indeed.

Who Else? was a good one in his modern day stuff.

The three in the mid 70's, the ones with Freeway Jam and Blue Wind and the live with Jan Hammer.  I agree and I am glad to see so many suggest those three.

rct

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rct said:

That picture right fukking there is why a couple million of us do this yes indeed.

Who Else? was a good one in his modern day stuff.

The three in the mid 70's, the ones with Freeway Jam and Blue Wind and the live with Jan Hammer.  I agree and I am glad to see so many suggest those three.

rct

If you don't own Blow By Blow  I don't think I want to know you.