Gibson Brands Forums

Got the Hummingbird of my dreams!

hummingbirdguy

Last month I asked reddit for advice on choosing between a Martin HD28 or Gibson Hummingbird for my first guitar. In the end the Hummingbird stole my heart (though the Martin will definitely come, just down the road).

Went to GC and took home a Standard Hummingbird from 2019 that has a very nice tone and feels like a monster when I reach around the body to strum. The action is insanely high, but I played most everyday for at least an hour (or until I swear and curse, whichever comes later). There was just one thing though: that cherry sunburst finish 🤔.

So after a couple of weeks of going back and forth I decided to exchange it for a different version - this time with a finish I actually like. As luck would have it the guitar was already on clearance and reduced by 15%, not to mention it immediately struck me as more comfortable to play thanks to a lower action and smaller nut width. The tone was warmer and more mellow than the Standard hummingbird, but tbh the strings were in need of a change so the tech replaced them with Elixir 80/20 Bronze, too. Oh, and I can't forget about the hummingbird pickguard which is etched into the guard so it has a more pleasant tactile quality. Last, but in no way least, the finish is significantly nicer and more subtle than the bright red and orange Standard.

I just got it back from the luthier yesterday and the action is soooo low!! No buzzing or humming strings until about 3 hours of play and even then it was because my finger tips started hurting from learning the A and D chords. 

IMG_2710 - Copy.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Glad GC was accommodating, and had an upgrade on hand at a discount !    Sometimes things work out really well like this.  Congrats! 

Based on the case, I'd say this was a serious upgrade.  What model ?    Vintage?     Aged top ?   

EDIT:    Not sure what the reason for the 'CONFUSED'  emoji was.   I'd be happy to explain my rather simple, pleasant, supportive comment to you if you'd care to specify what confused you about it. 

Edited by fortyearspickn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Thank you all so much for the welcoming me. I must confess though as breathtaking as it is, I'm strongly considering replacing the tuners with a gold version if I can find some with a higher ratio...otherwise I'm in HB Heaven  

5 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Glad GC was accommodating, and had an upgrade on hand at a discount !    Sometimes things work out really well like this.  Congrats! 

Based on the case, I'd say this was a serious upgrade.  What model ?    Vintage?     Aged top ?   

EDIT:    Not sure what the reason for the 'CONFUSED'  emoji was.   I'd be happy to explain my rather simple, pleasant, supportive comment to you if you'd care to specify what confused you about it. 

Thanks so much!

They were really nice about it thankfully. As luck would have it they had a black friday sale so I picked up a couple of types of strings and a bunch of other stuff. 

It's the 2019 Vintage Limited model with an aged top. I'm still confused as to how one indicates the aged top versions from actual vintage models from years ago since, from my understanding they are both referred to as "vintage".

4 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

Yes that is very pretty...Welcome to the club..and forum. Enjoy it they make good friends to get during this second wave of the virus.

Thanks for the welcome! You read my mind, hoping by the time its all over I'll be able to play some songs and get a solid grasp of basic-intermediate music theory

Edited by hummingbirdguy
just realized @fortyearspickn referenced the reaction to their post and not the one in my original post. How does one react to posts here? They don't seem to show up on my end

4 hours ago, hummingbirdguy said:

...I'm strongly considering replacing the tuners with a gold version...

Hi and welcome to the forum and congrats on acquiring a very beautiful 'bird.

Up to you, of course, but changing the tuners would be a massive mistake - and that's an understatement.

Happy Learning!

P.

• Like 2

That is a beauty.  Glad your timing was right in getting an exchange on sale plus the baked top should enrich the tone.  Each Gibson is an individual in the way they look, play, and sound.  It would seem you were able to make a slight mistake purchasing the first one and then correct it without spending extra - that is something that doesn't often happen when buying and selling and trading in guitars.  Like you I am not a big fan of the cherry burst finish on Birds and as a result I bought a natural finish one.  Any excuse to post a photo ya know 🙂 

Xz4vrXB.jpg

The top on mine has already darkened slightly (the photo was day one right out of the box).  And while I love mine honestly I think I like the way yours looks even better.

Enjoy 👍

• Like 4

4 hours ago, pippy said:

Hi and welcome to the forum and congrats on acquiring a very beautiful 'bird.

Up to you, of course, but changing the tuners would be a massive mistake - and that's an understatement.

Happy Learning!

P.

Thanks for the welcome! Why do you think it'd be a mistake? This is my first guitar so please enlighten me, I'd hate to damage it in some way. Aesthetics aside, its been tuned twice in two days whereas the rotomatic tuners held a tune much longer (probably tuned it three times in three weeks with about an hour or so play time daily).  

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Yup +1.  I wouldn't touch those tuners.  The guitar and case are giving me cowboy vibes in the best way.  That guitar is ... stunning.  

Definitely has a cowboy vibe. The case has certainly grown on me though I'm not sure if all these types of cases are the same but mine definitely has a less perfect construction compared to the HB Standard's case (see attached photos for examples) and it even squeaks a bit when opening/closing. Idk if that's normal, but I tell myself it's part of the charm.

2 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

That is a beauty.  Glad your timing was right in getting an exchange on sale plus the baked top should enrich the tone.  Each Gibson is an individual in the way they look, play, and sound.  It would seem you were able to make a slight mistake purchasing the first one and then correct it without spending extra - that is something that doesn't often happen when buying and selling and trading in guitars.  Like you I am not a big fan of the cherry burst finish on Birds and as a result I bought a natural finish one.  Any excuse to post a photo ya know 🙂 

The top on mine has already darkened slightly (the photo was day one right out of the box).  And while I love mine honestly I think I like the way yours looks even better.

Enjoy 👍

The tone makes me smile every time I start practicing 😊 This one ended up being about 10% more than the Standard, however the tone and finish made the difference negligible. Your bird is stunning! In fact I came across your original post a few weeks ago searching for more info on the vintage editions and seriously considered it, but didn't know if the wood would darken with time so thanks for sharing that tidbit...who knows a natural finish may creep into my forthcoming collection down the line. 

1 hour ago, MissouriPicker said:

Congrats on a super-sweet guitar.  Birds are are legendary guitars.

Thanks so much! With tones this sweet and supple it's easy to see why 

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2714[971].jpg

23 hours ago, hummingbirdguy said:

Thank you. Stop putting it off and just go for it and don't forget to share some pics when you do 🙂

I would if I was still single but with 9 guitars, Married for 41 years and her thinking I have enough makes it a tiny bit harder, Lol. Oh yea, And she has been insisting I get rid of my 14 year old SUV and just bought me a 2021 Subaru Ascent Limited in Crimson Red Pearl.  So there goes my Birthdays, Fathers Day Anniversary & Christmas for the next 4 years Lol. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Retired said:

I would if I was still single but with 9 guitars, Married for 41 years and her thinking I have enough makes it a tiny bit harder, Lol. Oh yea, And she has been insisting I get rid of my 14 year old SUV and just bought me a 2021 Subaru Ascent Limited in Crimson Red Pearl.  So there goes my Birthdays, Fathers Day Anniversary & Christmas for the next 4 years Lol. 

41 year marriage and a new car...the guitar can definitely wait

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hummingbirdguy said:

41 year marriage and a new car...the guitar can definitely wait

Lol, Thats what I figured too. Plus she bought me a Ephiphone Riviera for my last Birthday in April, It didn't show up till November. It arrived on a very slow boat from China!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Retired said:

Not to go off on a tangent - but my wife has the predecessor  -  the Subaru TriBeCa.    You will find it is as close to a perfect vehicle as you can imagine.  Congrats. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Not to go off on a tangent - but my wife has the predecessor  -  the Subaru TriBeCa.    You will find it is as close to a perfect vehicle as you can imagine.  Congrats. 

I never saw them? Actually I shopped on line & it was between the Forester & the Ascent. The Kia Telluride was also in the contest but she didn't like the Kia name. She kept trying to change my mind. Yeah, I never even heard of the Tribeca. I'll have to take a look but it's all done now. The plates for my Saturn Vue were about $40.00 and Insurance was really cheap. So what are these plates going to run now? If she wasn't so insisting me getting a new car, I'd still have that Saturn. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Retired said:

Lol, Thats what I figured too. Plus she bought me a Ephiphone Riviera for my last Birthday in April, It didn't show up till November. It arrived on a very slow boat from China!

If things continue as they are with China that may be a more common issue...but that's an entirely different conversation lol

17 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Tidy guitar. 👌

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Damn you aren’t messin around that’s quite an instrument to learn the A and D chords on lol. Beautiful guitar you got there.

What songs are you planning on learning first? Good luck 😎

LOL (literally)!! Well they say you should get a guitar that makes  you want to play and figured it'd be better to suck on an instrument with beautiful tones than one with not so nice tones...it could balance out operator errors haha. Funny enough I'm working on the A and D chords this week (Em and Asus2 were my first chords) so I'm going to add Dm and G to learn Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone...that's if my sausage fingers can ever stop spilling over to other strings lol.