Gibson Brands Forums

I went on a guitar / bass buying binge. (Gibson / Hofner)

duane v

Howdy all.

For some reason I found three guitars I just couldn't resist..... so without further ado

2008 Gibson Aged Custom Shop Les Paul Custom: This was an interesting find and I found the aging aspect very intriguing. Another Aspect I found interesting was the back of the headstock was painted black. I do recall seeing some 70's Gibson's with this interesting paint scheme. I had some extra 72 Gibson pup covers and added them for some additional flavor.

(edited)_239C28AECAEA4FFB9384E8B18534E39

6C71F5764D514B269A9B8F7A4DE97DB3.jpg

ldvuft3lawdaa80h3ztc.jpg

2013 Gibson SG Standard: I saw this guitar and immediately thought I could throw a Gibson Maestro on this sucker. I also added a Faber ABR1. I drilled a channel for a ground wire and soldered it underneath the trapeze part of the tailpiece. So far it stays in tune pretty well, but I'm going to change the nut to a graphite type.

ECA1EC58036B4BFD85966CC0BE6309F5.jpg

ldvuft3lawdaa80h3ztc.jpg

Hofner 5001 Violin Bass. The owner said it had been in the case for very long and he stated he never played it. When I removed the bass the green case lining had etched itself to the pickups so there is a very hard green scale on them.... Don't know what I'm going to do about that. The instrument is in pristine condition with a few minor dings and such, but I have no idea what year it was built and neither does the owner.... He said it was his uncles bass and it had been in the family for some time. I removed the control panel and nothing there in terms of a label... looked at the pots and I have no idea how to decipher the date codes on it, but my assumption it's about 20-30 years old as the finish is in great shape and for $1300 I though it was worth buying.

001(3).jpg

001(2).jpg

Edited by duane v
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of all the "Gibson 70's" reissues that have hit the market over the last 15 years, none of them include the embossed pickup covers feature which to me is one of the nicest aesthetics Gibson has ever come out with. I guess what makes it truly unique is it was only available for 1 year (1972) and it vanished. However there certainly isn't a short supply of these on eBay and Reverb, and what I find most shocking is the price sellers are now commanding for them. [blink]

3 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

very cool, all 3 are sweet, the LP is double extra super sweet.  Not sure what the pup covers looked like on it original, but what you got in the pics seems to have it right!

Actually it had no pup covers when I bought it... I think it came that way from the factory. But it looked good that way as well. 

fw2aiba2ohc9bmejhhjr.jpg

10 hours ago, brad1 said:

Good things come in threes! And it looks like you found 3 really good things Duane!

Congratulations! And it is good to see you around. Don't be such a stranger. [smile]

Thanks Brad.... I'm trying not to be so much of a stranger in terms of posting but I do lurk.... and as all of us are aware it's been a year to remember and unfortunately not in a good way. Despite the business climate for some, my area of the business has been crazy busy.... so I do feel blessed.